Coming to a shop near you? a no fog mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's cool. Problem is that by the time it gets to us it will cost too much. Much simpler and cheaper to spit and rub.

It would probably triple the cost. Since a properly cleaned mask doesn't fog much I wouldn't see the point. If my mask does fog, it only takes a few seconds to clear it while diving.

'First-ever' permanent anti-fog coating developed

I wanted to share this with everyone. A Canadian University has declared they have created a clear coating that will forever prevent fogging.

How awesome would that be, I mean it's not a big deal, but it would be a nice to have.

My mask isn't nearly as much of a fog PITA as my regular glasses! I can't spit in them!

Some masks and swim goggles are sold with an anti-fog coating. It may not last the lifetime of the mask, but I have been using SEADIVE and Speedo for years.

It might be nice if they don't charge an arm and a leg for it. But for now I'll stick with spit or if it's really fogging on me, I just let a little water in my mask and leave it there to act as a windshield wiper when I look down :cool2:

The nice thing about this is that the overall market for it would be, I think, large enough to warrant manufacturing processes that could bring the cost way down. If you think about auto windshields, eyeglasses, ski masks, diving masks -- the latter two markets are tiny, but would heavily benefit from the existence of the former.

I'd love to see no-fog masks. They'd be expensive, so the dive shop would sell them to all the OW students, and I wouldn't have to watch the poor things swimming around the pool unable to see any more :)

Scarcely the first claim. See this from 2005. MIT faculty have a generally good rep, but subsequent to a flurry of reports, all basically the same, there has been no follow-through. As far as I can tell, the MIT folks did not receive a patent.

Back
Top Bottom