comfort with equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merkin

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone recommended getting comfortable with equipment in controlled environments and that makes sense - there are no pools available but some shallow (cheap) springs around (Manatee, Royal).

I'm not sure I can motivate any friends to accompany me on these types of dives - is it dangerous to gain comfort with the gear in shallow situations SOLO?

Also are there skills one could practice to get ready for the DIR class (I know "read the book"). I did "peak buoyancy" in PADI AOW but that only involved swimming through rings and fin pivots...

Thanks for any advice.

[sorry, this was meant to be attached to a thread by tekkie!]

merkin once bubbled...
I'm not sure I can motivate any friends to accompany me on these types of dives - is it dangerous to gain comfort with the gear in shallow situations SOLO?
Yes.

I think you will find that most on this board do NOT recommend diving solo. There are several that do it, and more that have done it at one time or another, but the general consensus is to find other options.

Specifically, let me point out that the fact that you are trying out new gear is a major problem. If you had some sort of problem with it and are not familiar with it, you have no buddy there to assist you. Dangerous Potential...

Also, if you read the thread regarding Dr. Paul, you will find out that he was doing a training dive that was considered relatively easy by his usual standards when something went wrong. Had it not been for the presence and presence of mind by his budies, he might have died.

Even the simplest dive can go wrong for unexplained reasons. Please consider finding a buddy to accompany you.

I wouldnt mind diving with someone just for them to get comfortable with equipment . I can always practice fin kicks .
I bet you can find someone to go with you .
joens

I guess I'm just frustrated because I am yet to meet someone with the same enthusiasm. Once I get my own gear, I would like to try diving 2-3 each weekend. I'll try and con someone into going...

I'll second (or third) the no-solo diving. My family is just too important to me-and I would imagine your's is also.

DIR- If you can go to the fifthd.com website and look at the videos, it would be a big help. You can practice the fin kicks for a start. The most critical skill is bouyancy control. The site will show you how it SHOULD look, with the trim correct. If you can get somewhat near that, you'll be light years ahead. It's not easy, but try it if you can.

I went to the 5D website but can't seem to find the videos - could somebody send me the specific link for that? Thanks.

I have been trying to download and view these videos but no joy! Any insights??

thanks in advance; jbm

jbm once bubbled...
I have been trying to download and view these videos but no joy! Any insights??

thanks in advance; jbm

I just tried one of them and it worked for me. You need Windows Media Player, I believe. These are fairly large files, so it might take a while to download/get started.

detroit diver once bubbled...
go to this link: http://fifthd.com/divestore/classes/classindex.html

and then scroll down the pictures until you get to DIR Fundamentals. Click on that, then look at the right side of the page.

I have done that and selected a video.......and it appears to have been downloaded....but video doesn't play. I have realplayer and windows media player......should not the video automatically play after it loads?? My apologies.......I'm almost Amish when it comes to this stuff!

rgds; jbm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom