Cold water wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub-Surface progression in Fort Bragg. http://www.subsurfaceprogression.com/

I doubt they'll do mail order. They're a really small shop with very few staff. You never know, though. I know they have limited sizes, but if you already know your size, I can see if they have it next time I'm in. I'm happy to pick one up and send it to you. PM me if you want.

Sorry for the threadjack, everyone else. :wink:

I'd suggest a full 7mm. As for layering, one of my buddies used to layer before she got her drysuit and never had any problems. She had a little reduction in flexibility of course, but claimed it never bothered her. She wore a Henderson Gold Core 7mm full, with a Bare arctic vest over top (actually extends down to the thigh). Sooner or later though, you'll probably want to go dry if you're doing a lot of dives in 50 degree water.

Depending on how cold the water is where you dive I wouldn't try to build on a 3mm. I don't tend to get cold but I'm very happy with my two-piece 7mm. If it gets too warm I may change my OUTER shell to someting thinner or ditch it alltogether and just go with a hood.

Do get a hood with a vent.

I have a 7mm Bare and a 5 mm hooded overshorty, and have been diving in 52 degree water with no problem. Attached hood is the way to go.
I also have a drysuit, but sometimes I just like to get wet!

I tried one of those Xcels, and it was impressive. I have been interested in the Pinnacles as well.

The Bare suits at www.divetank.com are a great deal. Look at the bottom left link for "closeouts and used goods", there are amazing deals there, if the size is right.

www.scubatoys.com sells Bare as well.

For the budget minded (like me) Tripple L from scubal.com has 7mm full suit with hood, front zip for under $100. I have one and it works fine for me here in the Puget Sound.

For the PNW (50- 55 degF water) I bought a 1 piece Parkway 7mm wetsuit with integral hood.

I haven't tried layering two wetsuits but I would tend to think that this is a less optimum solution. What you need to avoid with a wetsuit is excess water circulation through the suit. This circulating water will steal a tremendous amount of core body heat. Hence my preference is to limit the number of openings in the suit.

Two suits make it difficult to achieve a good close fit with both layers and will inherently have more openings.

Personally I find the integrated hood to be particularly good for limiting circulation.

With regards to comfort, I am fine in the water, but repeat dives are not much fun in winter time because you tend to get cold during your surface interval. If you can find some way to keep warm between dives you should be ok.

NSDiver:
I have a Bare Velocity 7/6 and a 5mm hooded vest. I've had it to 50 degrees and been pretty toasty. The vest is a bit overkill for anything higher than the 50s - it takes a lot of weight to sink.
I have the same Bare Velocity 7/6 wetsuit that I use with a 5mm hood and it was fine two dives a day in 53° water. Great deal for the price, I just wish the 7/6 came in all black (like the 5/4) instead of the black/gray/blue combination.

Back
Top Bottom