Cold water-> Drysuit But...what about gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a pair of Henderson 5mm semi-dry golves that look the same as the XS Scuba gloves. They were really warm but it took about 10 minutes to them get on, specially when they were wet, because of the heat seal tape and kevlar palms, it made them stiff. The wrist seals had chunks torn out of them after the first year from pulling them on and off. I have a pair of Mares super stretch 6.5mm 5 finger Trigloves now. They are also really warm and I dive them in 36 degree water, and they're easy to get on and off. I tried a pair of 3 finger gloves and they drove me nuts, but that's just my preference.

Another point not widely known about the 3-finger mitts is that they are not only warmer, but a LOT easier on the fingers; there's much less material going into tension & compression on the sides of the fingers with mitts as opposed to gloves.
Some mitts have an odd configuration of grouping the fingers into pairs instead of the more common thumb, index (by itself) & other 3 remaining fingers.
They take a little getting used to, but once you make friends with them there's no going back!

You're planning a real nice ice-water dive trip! :wink:

Actually, I'd love a trip like that! :D

Like many of the others, I'd recommend a dryglove ring system.

I'm very happy with my SI TECH ring system, but the Viking bayonet ring system is similar and very popular.

If you're planning to be in that sub-40F water for an hour or more at a time, you'll be very happy you wore drygloves.

Also consider using an "ice cap" underhood to get real good coverage of your head, especially the face. It will leave virtually nothing exposed on the face, except a small part of the lips.

Drygloves and an ice cap underhood can make a huge improvement in your thermal protection and comfort. :)

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom