Cold water-> Drysuit But...what about gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meesier42

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I have a planned trip to Alaska to dive in Feburary, got the new drysuit (Pinnalce Evo2, with Merino Evolution Undergarment) so I got the body covered, but what about gloves. I am expecting water temps in the mid to high 30's, possibly dipping to below freezing. Now I have dove cold water maybe 2-3 times before, but those were training dives and we didn't stay long. So what do you guys recommend??

Here are the options that I was thinking about
DeepSea 3 finger 6.5mm
question with this glove, is that it looks like the gauntlet may be too long and give me issues with my suit interfering with it.
XS Scuba Dry-Five, semi-dry 5mm
this glove brings up another question, how warm are they really. I am sure that a semi-dry glove will be warmer than a standard neoprene glove, but are they really warm enough for this temps, I would be less hesatant if they were 7mm.

So all you guys that have lots of experience in these temps, please advice me to what you have found. I don't normally get cold quickly, but my hands have always gotten cold.

I use three finger semi-dry gloves or dry gloves for water temps below 40F. Personally I prefer diving entirely dry.

A pair of drygloves like these aren't too hard to deal with if you practice a bit and can be used with either one or two layers of inner glove.

http://trimix.se/products/148.jpg

If you want to dive temperatures that cold, you may want to use a plastic glove with a locking collar on the wrist (which mates to a collar mounted on your drysuit). For example (not endorsing this brand, it was the first one I googled) look here: Hydrotech Dry Gloves (Blue) - Suit Gloves - Underwaterworld @ Stoney Cove

I have been in water about 35 F with 5 mm gloves on, and I can tell you that you loose feeling in your fingers pretty quick. These collar gloves will keep you warm, and you can put a thin winter glove underneath them for extra warmth. I am sure others can suggest the best types of collar gloves and how to attach them (I am not a dry suit diver, I just freeze in my wetsuit).

So nobody has tried the XS scuba dry-five glove?? I really like the idea of semi-dry gloves, but 37F water is the wrong time to find out they don't work. Someone has to have used them.

Drygloves all the way. 5mm 5 finger gloves had my fingers numb in 10 minutes in 36 degree water. I would seriously suggest the dry gloves.

There is a lot to be said for 100% dry gloves but for those of us who find that rings get in the way, (or can't justify $90 - $100 for a dryglove ring kit) a good 3-finger mitt should be good for 4 hours in 28°f water.
Gauntlets (properly designed ones, at least) usually don't get in the way unless you're talking about wearing gauges & etc on your wrist.
I doubt if the XS gloves are really intended to be "100%" dry, they'd be more like "semi-dry" (even though I hate that term)
A little commercial diver's trick: get some heavy duty nitrile gloves, the type used by EMTs (do not need to be sterile though).
They can make the difference between tolerable & cozy. (cheap fix, too) Wear 'em under some well-fitting mitts or wet gloves (or semi-wet gloves)
If you're into DIY some $14 commercial fishing gloves with a pair of $30 cuffs glued on turns into a pair of gloves pictured on the trimix site.
The cuffs can be re-used after the gloves get holed if you use a thermosetting glue, or even wetsuit glue for that matter.

You're going to probably want some dry gloves. Cold hands can screw up an awesome dive and force you to cut a dive short, especially in the temps you mentioned.

as every one mentioned

..Dry gloves. Your're not diving locally..your taking an expensive trip. So spend the money on a good dryglove system. Once your fingers go numb you will not enjoy your trip.

I found 3 finger mitts MASSIVELY warmer than 5mm semi dry gloves.

Back
Top Bottom