Cold Water Diving Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the same gear in 70 degree water as 55 degree water. a 5mm jumpsuit seems to work just fine for me. I did do a dive this past saturday with gloves then the second without and my hands clenched when I hit the thermocline. needless to say I had my gloves on for the next dive. If you check your buoyancy with an empty (500 psi) AL80 to begin with you have no real issues. The only problem I found with a 7mm farmer john was getting to the water, once I hit 15 feet it compressed enough that the restrictiveness seemed to slack enough that I didn't see much of a henderance.

Then again, I dive cold water all Winter, haven't really had much "warm" water. Even in HI I dove my 5mm I was toasty while others in the rented 3mm suits were shivering. :)

Garrobo:
Why would anyone want to dive in COLD water?

Visibility, the challenge, and the fact that the water is always cold around here, especially in quarries. I'd need to drive 800 miles to get warmer water.

If you can't get out of the wetsuit between dives (boat, remote location) bring a cheap rain suit to put on over the wet suit. This cuts the heat loss from evaporation significatly. It is also a good idea for the RIP trip. Add a warm cap and cloves - dry!

You should also be aware that due to the bulky equipment you can't even look down and expect to see anything usefull. Therefore the advice to know where all your equipment is is very usefull.

If it is very cold don't purge or breath from you regulator befor you're in the water or the risk of freeflow is increased.

Make sure your suit fits VERY well.

And don't forget to have fun!

Thank you all very much. After I get home from work tonight, I'll summarize the 'highlights' of the thread. There are quite a few great ideas and cautionary words of advice. (Note that continued posts are welcome).

I also appreciate hearing about the positive aspects of cold water diving-- since that is what I will be living with.

You going to be shore diving or boat diving? I have a 10x10 EZUp tent with sides that I set up on cool days. I also have a propane camping heater that I put in there to take the chill off inside the tent when needed. It's not overly warm but still cozy when it's snowing outside :D Being prepared so you can get and stay warm on the surface interval is very important when diving cold water. Knowing when to call the dive is important as well. It's normal to be a little cold but if you're getting to the point where you are shivering or just unhappy with the temperature and the way its making you feel then it's time to end the dive. Ignoring your body's cold response signals will get you into trouble quickly. It's a bad idea to "suck it up" and continue the dive, eventually you're going to end up getting hurt.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
You going to be shore diving or boat diving? I have a 10x10 EZUp tent with sides that I set up on cool days. I also have a propane camping heater that I put in there to take the chill off inside the tent when needed. It's not overly warm but still cozy when it's snowing outside :D Being prepared so you can get and stay warm on the surface interval is very important when diving cold water. Knowing when to call the dive is important as well. It's normal to be a little cold but if you're getting to the point where you are shivering or just unhappy with the temperature and the way its making you feel then it's time to end the dive. Ignoring your body's cold response signals will get you into trouble quickly. It's a bad idea to "suck it up" and continue the dive, eventually you're going to end up getting hurt.

I expect to be busy with shore dives this season. That might change once I figure out more of what I like, and I start to make some diver aquantances.

Good thought on the tent. I am already giddy about diving dry (probably next year), and having some sort of shelter on shore would further extend the season. I'm one of those folks who loves to 'boldly go where [relatively few] have gone before.' :alien_3: So, I will likely look to push the seasonal envelpe a bit.

Ber Rabbit:
*snip* I have a 10x10 EZUp tent with sides that I set up on cool days. I also have a propane camping heater that I put in there to take the chill off inside the tent when needed. It's not overly warm but still cozy when it's snowing outside :D *snip*

This has also worked for us. Having this type of setup allowed us much more comfort while ice diving this winter.

Keeping warm during SI is paramount to safe diving! If you're already cold when you're heading into a cold dive, you could easily get in trouble.

abitton:
This has also worked for us. Having this type of setup allowed us much more comfort while ice diving this winter.

Keeping warm during SI is paramount to safe diving! If you're already cold when you're heading into a cold dive, you could easily get in trouble.

Comfort=Safety. I like the arrangement.

Ice diving, that sure is one end of the sprectrum. Having to deal with the cold *and* overhead seems like no mean challenge.

The St. Lawrence is going to be one of my future destinations (what I read of the wrecks, etc. is impressive). Does the ice make the diving that much more rewarding, or are you mostly extending your season?

Nudgeroni:
Does the ice make the diving that much more rewarding, or are you mostly extending your season?
Having done it, I think it's a pretty cool experience, but not worth the trouble on a regular basis. The visibility is probably a bit better when there's ice, as there isn't much chance for wind and rain to muddy things, but for the most part there's a lot more logistical considerations for essentially being able to see the same stuff you'd see in warmer weather.

It's definately a cool thing to try out though, if only to say you've seen the other side of the ice.

Nudgeroni:
I expect to be busy with shore dives this season. That might change once I figure out more of what I like, and I start to make some diver aquantances.

Good thought on the tent. I am already giddy about diving dry (probably next year), and having some sort of shelter on shore would further extend the season. I'm one of those folks who loves to 'boldly go where [relatively few] have gone before.' :alien_3: So, I will likely look to push the seasonal envelpe a bit.

Here's a link to a tent similar to mine and this is the heater I just bought. I was using a couple of 3000btu heaters and this one has 9000btu's (only 1000btu's less than Notso_Ken's kerosene heater). I bring along hangers and hang my drysuit undies and the student's wetsuits in there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom