Cold Water Divers - Whats your Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My primary reg now is the Apeks Tungsten XTX which I have had at 120 feet and 41 degrees. Works fine.
Also dive the Oceanic Delta 4 which breathes nicely as well.

Poseidon Jetstream I had them in 38F water the other day and purged them for about five minutes to empty the tank. They shut down and worked fine when I let off, I can not say the same for my OMS or Scuba Pro regs that I did the same thing with.

Dove a Genesis Gs 2000 for years in water to 36 deg. F with no problems. Passed that reg. to Junior. Been diving Mares V32 w/ cold water (enviormental) kit and Proton Extreme Ice for 2 years now also without a problem. (knock on wood)

Scuba Pro MK17/S600's on my doubles / stage bottles and no problems down to 38F

I have an Apeks DS4 first stage with 2 ATX50 seconds. Over the past 3 years, they've been pretty good to me. When I was in Maine, I'd regularly dive them in seawater below 50 degrees F. My coldest dives were in the mid-thirties, and they didn't give me any trouble. Of course, don't breathe the reg above water when there's snow on the ground...

The unsealed Aqualung Titan I was using prior to the Apeks set didn't like the cold as much. On a few occasions, it would provide a continuous trickle of air, but not a full-blown free-flow.

The Sherwood Blizzard I used for a bit prior to the Apeks didn't have any freeze-up problems, but didn't breathe as well as the Apeks, particularly at depth.

I think it also depends on what type of diving you are considering doing. Believe it or not, there is a big difference in a reg in 31 degree water at 60 feet and 31 degree water at 130 feet. I've dove with quite a few regs continuously at 130+ feet and 31-34 degree water and the only one I've found that stands up to the test of deeper dives in cold water is the Apeks. Never a problem (breathes better the deeper you go!). I've also heard from other divers that the Poseiden is a good choice. Just an opinion.

i'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Sherwood Maximus... it's making me nervous. I bought this reg with the INTENT of diving cold with it, but so far i've only used it in warm water.

Should i be concerned??

I think it also depends on what type of diving you are considering doing. Believe it or not, there is a big difference in a reg in 31 degree water at 60 feet and 31 degree water at 130 feet. I've dove with quite a few regs continuously at 130+ feet and 31-34 degree water and the only one I've found that stands up to the test of deeper dives in cold water is the Apeks. Never a problem (breathes better the deeper you go!). I've also heard from other divers that the Poseiden is a good choice. Just an opinion.
Have you tried coltrisub regs? Theire quite similar to the apeks, probably to the extent where some people would call them apeks ripoffs :p

Well I've had two seasons of ice diving. The first was with a Mares Ice, which worked quite fine. This year, on twins, I went with the Apeks Tek3. Nobody that was using the Apeks regs experienced any free flows. The group I dive with are mostly into tec dives (a couple of them own dive shops) and they all swear by Apeks. The DS4's are quite popular and abundant amongst us.

Back
Top Bottom