Cold Water Divers - Whats your Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon Jetstream. Most of my dives are done in cool 35-45 water and I've never had a problem. I don't even use the glycole "hat" on my Jetstream.

I've been quite happy with my abyss. I had it under the ice this winter (32 degrees) with no problems. I tested it with a full depression of the purge for 5+ seconds and it didn't freeze. And that's without a "kit" on the first stage. I've also had it to 160' in cool water (43 degrees) with no problems. There are a lot of good regs out there, but I can promise you that you wouldn't be disappointed with an abyss.

I do not do ice diving, but have had amazing performance with my sherwood oasis. The first stage from Sherwood is why I bring this up--they make good products for me, and also for the guys that want to be under the ice....

Everyone has their favorite reg it's usually the one they bought and paid for and they are using.

I posted the Delta 4 / FDX-10 NOAA's cold water pick. After testing many reg's in cold water the Delta 4 / FDX-10 came out number ONE (1).

The US Navy's experimental diving unit is using them after testing. The US Coast Guard only uses the Delta 4 / FDX-10 in cold water.

This is not me saying the Delta 4 is this are that ... I'm a person and can be partial to a certain reg. as you all are. Of course I like my Delta 4 / FDX-10. But I also like my Poseidon also. I loved numerous regs I've had and been well pleased in their performance from the Scubapro MK-IV to the Pilot, Dacor Pacer 900, US Diver's JM Cousteau (Titan now) etc etc. But instead of saying his are hers is the best because I used it at ... How about a little creditability from some organization other than oneself?

Well, I'll first say that I'm new to diving, with only about 8 months of experience. but I tried a ScubaPro MK25 first stage with a S600 2nd stage and a G250V, and both are awesome, and breath quite well. (I've only tested so far, but will let you know more in a little bit) I haven't had any experience with other systems, but I love this reg! I have noticed that many brands (including ScubaPro) often ding you if you buy a more advanced 2nd stage as a backup, without buying a 1st stage,(the other option is buying a not as nice octo reg, without certain adjustment capabilities) but I think that a little more is definitely worth it. I'll say it again, I don't have a lot of experience, so my comments will definitely not be the best out there!

P.S. I know this is common knowledge to most of you, but I thought I'd mention it also---a piston 1st stage is a definite choice for cold water diving...
Jesus, who told you all this? SCUBA PRO and PISTONS for COLD WATER? DON'T DO IT. It's the opposite!

The whole family, and all of the local dive teams (four in my area) use Sherwood. Either Blizzard or Maximus. Inexpensive, rugged, easy to repair, never a problem! I have used mine in all kinds of conditions, depths, and temps, and under the ice and never have had an issue. But as it has been said before, everyone has a preference, usually what your LDS sells and services! The only way to find out what you really like is to try out different regs. Try renting occasionally, or ask your LDS to demo something new, or if you have some real good buddies ask to try theirs! They might be dying to try your!

The US Navy's experimental diving unit is using them after testing. The US Coast Guard only uses the Delta 4 / FDX-10 in cold water.

. But I also like my Poseidon also?

Bob, NEDU tests the stuff and inputs the ANU list. The Delta is a great cold water reg. Personally, I ain't going anywhere without my Poseidons. The Teams love them. As usual the Q'S are: "what are you going to do with the regs, exactly?" "If a a cannibal used a knife and fork, we would hardly call it progress, would we?:rofl3:

I use Aqualung Glacia and Glacia Octo. I love these regs. They have two heat exchangers on the reg and octo hose, one located about half way mid line and the other just at the reg inlet. The first stage as well has a heat exchanger housing with ACD (auto closure device) The front caps uasually plastic are replaced with smooth rounded light weight aluminum and the wopping exhaust doesnt hold back a thing. Both octo and reg have the venturi switch, not that I use it but It Is there. I have never had any jaw fatigue as the regs are very light yet very durable. They are may not look as Techie as the apex but more streamlined with fine edges that dont cause shaking or rocking in strong currents. Great for Ice diving and all year round use.

I too am looking for a good cold water regulator as I live in MI and hope to go diving in the great lakes and do some ice diving. According to the U.S. Navy Experimental Dive Unit the best regulators that they have tested are the Sherwood Scuba Blizzard and the Poseidon Odin regulators. Here are links the the reports (PDF files)

Sherwood Blizzard:
http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=A300807&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Poseidon Odin:
http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=A313945&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf

Don't get me wrong, both are nice regs but that reports almost 13 years old?.... DEC 1995.... there has been many changes since then.

Back
Top Bottom