Cold Water Die-Hards vs. Warm Water Wimps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had the luxury of a warm water tropical dive. My closest dives to that would be in the 1000 islands. There, in the St. Lawrence river, where there is fresh water, strong currents, 70 degree water with NO thermal cline, 80 ft vis and TONS of ship wrecks. I must say that it is pretty wild when you first realize the water is the exact same temp when you're on the surface and when you're at 100ft.

I have gotten used to both warm & cold water diving. Often in the same quarry on the same day. In this area during the summer time, the air temps can be 95+ degrees, the surface temps can be 85- 90 degrees & the bottom of the quarry is a refreshingly cool 42 degrees year around. I do try to dive year around (drysuit) just to get my nitrogen fix form time to time. If nothing else I'll dive 1-2 times a month just to remind myself that it can be done, although when it's really cold it's not what I'd call as much fun having to don all that gear, I just enjoy getting in the water even if for a short while. My last dive a couple of weeks ago was in 39 degree water, though it wasn't a real long one because my neck seal had rolled & started leaking:11:. I am in the midst of an Adv. Nitrox class & know a good portion of my class will entail a 30 min dive at he bottom of the quarry at 42 degrees. I'm not going to finish up until it warms up some. I figure that if I have to freeze my buns off down on the bottom, I'm going to do my decompression stops where it's a tad warmer.

Since I started divingin 1985 (in cold water) I have observed a few things:

1. Cold water divers tend to dive because they want to dive.

2. The cold water diving motivation may be to get certified locally before going south to dive with pretty fishes in warm water loctions and if that is the case, then they quickly convert to warm water divers who dive on one or two trips per year.

3. Some cold water divers start out with good intentions but get ruined/spoiled by warm water/pretty fishies diving and their cold water diving drops off substantially and in turn so does there total dives/hours in water per year, greatly slowing the learning and development curve.

3. If divers remain cold water divers, it is because they like to dive, and a subset of these divers will be divers who like to dive just to dive and will dive just about anywhere deep enough to fully submerge.

4. Cold water diving is a bit of a pain. Thick wet suit, gloves, hood, more weight, takes about three times as long to gear up, etc. If you doi it frequently, it is because you want to do it

5. Almost no cold water dives are destination dives where a crew or DM will set up your gear and hold your hand, so on average cold water diving requires a bit more independence and self reliance than warm water diving.

6. Cold water diving almost always means less visbility and as such usually offers more demanding conditions as holding depth, maintaining a slow rate of ascent in mid water with no surface or bottom in sight is much more difficult than it is in the ocean where one or both are often in sight, maintaining buddy contact and navigating during the dive are all more challenging. Plus a 100' dive in cold water is almost always dark, cold and limited visibillity whereas a 100' tropical dive is warm wit both surface and bottom in sight and is more of a thing of being able to look up and note that the boat hull looks smaller than it does at 20'.

7. Cold water diving offers less in terms of pretty fishes and margaritas on the beach, and often takes a hit as there is "nothing to look at". But on the other hand, a warm water reef is analogous to an oasis in a desert while cold water marine environments tend to have more flora and fauna and almost any body of freshwater is jam packed with life above 30-40 feet. So beauty tends to be in the eye of the beholder and my biased opinon is that cold water divers tend to appreciate the more subtle beauties of cold water more than warm water divers. Whether that trait develops because they dive cold water whether that is a motivator for diving cold water in the first place is open to debate.

8. When cold water divers get bored, they work on new skills, new certs, etc and in effect become better divers.

9. When warm water divers get bored, they move to new destinations, move on to different sports or buy a Harley.

10. The end result I think is that dedicated cold water divers are on average more skilled because they dive more, dive in more demanding conditions and over time dive in a much wider array of conditions and become much more experienced and well rounded as divers.

11. The differences within a group are usually as large as the differences between groups and the same thing applies to cold and warm water divers - there is a lot of variance.

Almost everything he said...almost.

9. When warm water divers get bored, they move to new destinations, move on to different sports or buy a Harley.

I had the Harley first, and I am a cold water diver! :D
(yes, the So Cal coast is cold to me LOL)

My certification came in January many years ago in Blue Hole, New Mexico. I froze my tail off. Heard many of the students in the class say things like "this diving thing sucks!".
Fast forward, almost 200 dives later, ALL of them in nice, sunny, warm, clear water locations. I'm doing DM and had to go back down to BH 2 days after this past Christmas. It was a blizzard on the way down, and on the way back. The water in BH is a constant 61-64 degress but that didn't help the 18degree weather, with wind chill of about 5 below. Being a DM candidate, I kept the group in the water and fetched tanks for them so they would stay warm in the water... my gloves froze together in the time it took me to swap 8 tanks, had to rip them off the concrete wall and put them into the water to warm them up!
Call me a wimp or whatever, diving to me is about getting away from corporate America and soaking my behind in the sun - and diving in some clear, warm water!

Now, on the other side, it doesn't mean I wouldn't dive cold water regularly, I just do NOT have the gear for it (drysuit first of all!). I try to be as knowledgeable as I can about diving, but if a warm water diver is less knowledgeable than a cold water one, then that is what I am. Although I still dive 2-3 times a year, isn't that die hard?

And yes, I have a Harley too... don't much care to ride the thing in the snow/cold either, ha!

....So what's your take on it? Do cold water students make better divers? ...

Diving makes you better, cold or warm water.

I also agree with DA.

I think that cold water diving requires a bit more passion and conviction, but it doesn't necessarily make you a "better" diver. It provides experience in one set of conditions. Diving in the tropics during hurricane season, or in an area with > 1.5 kt Current is highly challenging and therefore provides conditional experience as well.

Nothing wrong with choosing to dive only in warm water... it's a good motivator for people to travel on vacation afterall. And we really shouldn't be bashing warm water divers, since those support most of the industry.

I'm preparing to do product testing in Eastport Maine it is around 20 degress with one foot of newly fallen snow. My drysuit is in for repair and my wetsuit has a few holes in it. I really love being in the water any water. I would not want to miss the coming dive for any thing, although I wish it was warmer and I had my drysuit. My freinds and family think I'm crazy, they can't understand why you would dump hot water in a pair of frozen gloves to go in freezing cold water. :coffee: :coffee: :coffee: All I know is I can't wait to see what is down there, every dive even in the same place is completely different.

I have been diving for years from Maine to the Florida Keys. I believe with a previous post that experience from all types of envirorments makes the best divers. I've seen quarry divers have trouble on ocean dives and I've seen tropical divers have trouble on cold shore dives. We all have trouble when we first dive a little beyond our comfort level, but that is how we gain experence and this is what makes us better divers.

Dennis

Learned to blow bubbles here in So Cal, because this is all I knew, I thought all diving was about the same (maybe more colorful fish elsewhere) Then I did a live aboard in Sea of Cortez with 84 degree water and nothing but a dive skin. It was nice just grabbing your bc, mask, and fins, and jumping in with almost no setup time. Then I came home and went diving the next weekend, wow, even besides the gear, it was rougher diving at home with more current, and the cold. Then I got into a drysuit and doubles. Last summer I got to go to Hawaii, diving in my dickies (no head on the small boat and skippers college age daughter with us so I didn't want to drop trau...) and a single tank. OMG! I felt like I was unconsciously flying. It seemed like there was 0 thought needed to buoyancy, trim, propulsion... it was awsome. I felt as one with the water, well untill the manta ray smacked me up side the head and an overly friendly moray eel wrapped himself around me and snuggled up to my face to give me a hug...
so yeah gear has a lot to do with it, as the more neoprene, air bubble, steel tanks, buoyancy is more of a challenge; but I agree if you only dive in warm water afterwards, your skills will diminish

It seems to me that cold water is a relative term. I don't like hoods and don't put mine on until the water is below 60F. I also know a guy that when I put on my 7mm hood is still in a shorty, but he's probably certified crazy. And leather or no leather my bike stays in the garage when its below 50F (mostly)

I was going to write something here, but DA Aquamaster said just about all that needs to be said!

I will say that, after struggling mightily through my OW and AOW classes, floating down into clear, blue water in Molokini in a wetsuit was so danged easy it was funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom