C'mon, you know you want to take UTD Essentials!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having dove with you before I think you'd do fine in the class even with just two weeks prep.

I don't remember if you've gone BP/W but if you haven't I have a dive rite BP with either the deluxe or hog harness and DSS wing you can borrow if you want.

I'm fully equipped to do the class - it's strictly a question of scheduling. :)

Gear-wise, I've been in my BP/W + long-hose/bungeed-backup for a little while now and am fairly comfortable with it. I went ahead and bought the online classroom (figured it'd be interesting either way), and I'm not concerned about the prep time. Hopefully I can make it work!

Oh, and as an aside - I've purchased some of the GUE materials as well (planning on doing Fundies with a friend in April). I have to say that the UTD online classroom (and their website in general) has really impressed the hell out of me compared to the competition. No offense to the GUE guys, who I think do some great things, but UTD has really got this thing streamlined and available to an extent that nobody else in the diving industry is coming even close to...

Hi Jax!

Welcome! Good to see you in the No Cali forum :)!

I've heard the word "necklace" and "bungee backup" used interchangeably for the cord that holds your back-up reg on a short hose in place around your neck.

Many people prefer a piece of bungee cord tied on the back-up reg around the neck to the solid pre-made rubber "necklaces" that are sold in stores. There are a few ways to attach the cord. In the picture below they simply tie knots at the ends of a piece of bungee and use a zip tie attach it to the back up regulator which is on a 22-24' hose.

(
necklace.jpg
)

Here is a picture of the solid pre-made "necklaces" that, like Adobo says, many people think worthless
necklace.jpg

Regardless, both work to make sure your back-up is right where you need it :)!

The other way to make the bungie backup is to tie a pair of overhand knots in the cord, giving you a loop (that goes around the reg mouthpiece) made out of a slip knot and negating the need for a zip tie. You can find arguments akin to disputes about fine points of religious dogma on DIR forums about which is the 'DIR' way to do this. I do know that I got a great laugh when I was browsing in an LDS (DIR central for the Bay Area) and saw one of the bungies tied as above, in a plastic bag with a carboard hang tag. The marked price was $9.00:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:, and the bungie didn't even have blue 'Hs' on it :D

All I can say is I never realized that tying two overhand knots in the bungie, putting it in a plastic bag, stapling the cardboard to the bag and marking a price on it would add $8.50 of value to the retail price of the bungie cord.:confused:

Guy (uses a zip tie)

I've seen the pre-rigged ones too - Diver Dans carries them.

I've been ordering my black bungee from DSS. Wonder why AWS doesn't carry black bungee?
Guy, do you know a local source for back bungee?

Oh, and as an aside - I've purchased some of the GUE materials as well (planning on doing Fundies with a friend in April). I have to say that the UTD online classroom (and their website in general) has really impressed the hell out of me compared to the competition. No offense to the GUE guys, who I think do some great things, but UTD has really got this thing streamlined and available to an extent that nobody else in the diving industry is coming even close to...

Trust me Brian, they both have their merits!

They are different in many ways!

Wait till you take both classes to compare !

I can't wait to hear your opinion then :D!!!

I've been ordering my black bungee from DSS. Wonder why AWS doesn't carry black bungee?

Define local. Dolphin carries the bungee and sells it by the foot.

AWS was where I got my free bungie necklace, well, it was probably given to Don and then he gave it to me.

AWS does have black bungee sometimes. I got some there when I was rigging my necklace. As it so happens, if you head a little way further down Saratoga Ave. you'll find an

REI_logo.gif

• From the U.S. and Canada — Call 1-800-426-4840
  • Mon. through Sun., 4 a.m. through 11 p.m. PT.
  • International — Call 1-253-891-2500
  • Mon. through Sun., 4 a.m. through 11 p.m. PT. English language only.
Print This Page

Camping & Hiking > Tent Accessories > Replacement Poles and Parts > Shock Cord - 1/8 Inch

blackzoom

Shock Cord - 1/8 Inch

Item # 603003

$0.15
Item qualifies for annual
REI Member Refund (typically 10%)

1. 6030030016black $0.15
2. Qty

Free shipping with REI Store Pickup.
Shipping timeline, rates and more.

Elastic shock cord; 1/8th inch diameter; sold by the foot; repair your collapsible tent poles and other shock cord items.

• Sold by the foot
Made in USA.
Item 603003

Related Items:

Or you can go to the one in Marina right off the freeway at Imjin Parkway and Stilwell Drive, or any other one. I can't guarantee that any individual store will have black in stock, but you can always order it and pick it up at the nearest store to you.

Guy

Define local. Dolphin carries the bungee and sells it by the foot.

AWS does have black bungee sometimes. I got some there when I was rigging my necklace. As it so happens, if you head a little way further down Saratoga Ave. you'll find an ... . I can't guarantee that any individual store will have black in stock, but you can always order it and pick it up at the nearest store to you. Guy

Thanks guys!

AWS was where I got my free bungie necklace, well, it was probably given to Don and then he gave it to me.

Kristina, are you diving the new hoses now?

BTW good luck finding a classmate or two :)!

I am not diving the new hoses just yet, was waiting for the class. We got them all hooked up at AWS and then put them back to normal after getting the sizing right.
I have tried the jetfins a couple times and really need some hands-on help with those, for some reason those are pretty tricky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom