C'mon, you know you want to take UTD Essentials!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pacificgal

Rest in Peace...
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
UTD Essentials with Don (and me!) March 17th pool; March 19-21 ocean. Looking for more teammates. Gotta hurry, though, there's an online portion to the class that needs to be completed beforehand. I've been studying slowly for the past couple weeks and need to step it up.
Cost: $99 registration for online portion
$25 pool fee
moderately priced instructor fee
Materials needed: long hose, bungied backup, paddle fins.
Respond here or privately if you're interested.

[ignorant] Is the "bungeed backup" the same thing as those "necklaces" I see in the LDS? [/ignorant]

Yes, Jax, doesn't have to be a necklace like in the LDS though, I got mine for free (happened to be from the owner of the LDS) which is just a thin length of bungie cord that's wrapped in tied in such a way to be able to hold the backup under your chin.

Keeping Kristina's thread on top...after all this is a great class, and most anyone can learn plenty from it.

[ignorant] Is the "bungeed backup" the same thing as those "necklaces" I see in the LDS? [/ignorant]

The "Manta" silicon ones the dive shops sells are not ideal. One of my friends cussed and swore at his and promptly returned it. The reg pops out of them way to easy, so when you really need the reg it may not be there. I would recommend simple bungee that costs next to nothing. Some times the cheapest option is the best option.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you can join us and make it a class!

Jax,

A bungeed backup usually refers to the way a secondary reg is configured. As you probably know, there are several ways to configure backup regs. They include:

- Air2 style - where they have a combination regulator/BC inflator device.
- Octopus - this usually refers to backup regulator that is attached to maybe a 40" hose. Sometimes, an octopus reg has a fluorescent green or yellow cover to make it "easier" to find. An octopus is sometimes secured to the bc using some form of clip. I have seen on many occasions where divers leave their octopus dangling unsecured.
- Bungeed backup - this usually refers to a backup regulator that is attached to a 22" - 24" hose. The regulator is secured under the diver's chin. The traditional way of securing the regulator is using a piece of bungee - thus the name bungeed backup.

Recently, there have been some vendors marketing a molded piece of silicon rubber that is supposed to be an alternative to bungee. Personally, I think those things are worthless.

Below is a link to a pic of diver who has a bungeed backup under his chin:
diverfront

I'm considering it, and will let you and Don know this weekend. :)

Having dove with you before I think you'd do fine in the class even with just two weeks prep.

I don't remember if you've gone BP/W but if you haven't I have a dive rite BP with either the deluxe or hog harness and DSS wing you can borrow if you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom