Chubby cheeks, Problem sealing mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa mc

Reaction score
Sorry if this offends anyone as it is already posted in 'masks'.

This will be my only ' double post '

I recently passed my padi open water and enjoyed it so much I started the padi adventure and rescue. My husband couldn't understand what the attraction was so I encouraged him to do an open water. He really enjoyed the pool work but had a few problems getting the right mask. Eventually he found a mask which fit but the nose always had a small amount of water in. He could do all the mask clearing and removal no problem in the pool. We have just been to Oban diving and once my husband had the hood on with his dry suit his mask kept on leaking. The hood pushed his cheeks up and the mask was no good. He tryed numerous masks and hoods but nothing worked. Once the hood was on and the mask in place he could not move it. He could not do a mask removal or clear the mask because of his cheeks. He is not a big man about average size but has chubby cheeks. Even a larger hood was pushing his cheeks upward. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution? Also even when the mask was in place as soon as he put his reg in, his cheeks moved and his mask filled. Is there any type of mask you can recommend? My husband enjoyed himself so much he does not want to stop diving due to his cheeks. Please help

I'd like to add to this the problem i have of sealing my mask with a full mustache?

Ive tried several masks with no success and so i end up shaving before my dives.

With the chubby cheeks if his mask leaks just a bit and he can stand the bit of water in his nose pocket. He may just have to learn to live with it.

Have you tried just trimming the top of the mustache right below the nose. It works for me alright. I just dive with a bit of water in my mask most of the time. You can also try waterproof sunscreen. It's a lot betterthan petroleum jelly and not near as messy.

I must hold my hand up to this one, I am the culprit.
The majority of my problem is what I would call laughter lines, the crease I get with the hood and regulator in runs from the corner of my mouth to just above my nostral / nose. I to don't mind a little water around the nose and could cope with this in the pool, however when I put the hood on it made it ten times worse. I've tried trimming the hood, but if I trim it any more I may as well be wearing a skull cap.

I loved the time I was under the water but I constantly had to hold the mask on my face to stop the water entering it.

Is it possible to have a custom mask moulded to your face. I know this would make it more expensive but it would make me 100% more confident and I could enjoy my dive.

Thank yous all in advance.

Here is a model of mask you might want to try: Oceanic Shadow ICE - wide face mask.

Or you may be pulling your mask too tight to your face? Uh did he say too tight? Yes. For example students with mustaches complain their mask leaks all the time. There are three basic solutions:
  • Vasoline in the mustache hair before donning the mask.
  • Loosen the mask straps, they are too tight.
  • Or shave.

Have you tried loosening your mask straps? Do this: put the mask on almost loose then test again, if it leaks tighten one click on each side and repeat. So many people have their first experience with a leaking mask and then they cinch the thing till it cuts off blood flow - you're not going to solve the problem that way.

Try this: Instead of pressing the mask a little to your face and inhaling through your nose and holding it. Try looking up at the ceiling place the mask on your face and attempt to inhale without any pressure from your hand first. If the mask seals to your face, look forward to see if it stays while holding your breath. BTW, be sure to keep your hands out in front to make sure if the mask slips off it doesn't slam into the LDS shop floor and break! This is a way to really test for the perfect fit. However, not everyone's face works for this test, or you may not have a wide enough selection of masks to find the perfect fit, just bear this in mind.

Don't forget to put a mouthpiece in your mouth.
Just that little bit of change can make your mask leak. The problem with smile lines is one that I have run into a number of times and it is extremely difficult to get around.

Look at the bright side Lisa, you don't have smile lines AND a mustache. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom