Chrome Recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a question about recovering chrome plating on a regulator part.

I am thinking about a touch up paint option on the exterior area.

Have you ever used a chrome touch up pen or this?

I know it might be impossible to match an exact color and complete recovery though. I think it will be better than nothing.

I am not sure how long this touch up paint will last. So, I am thinking about applying a nail polisher after touching up like a final clear coating.

Is this idea feasible?

Any comment?

Thanks in advance,

What part? If it is a metal part it can be re-chromed by a bumper repair shop. If it a plastic part, paint may last.

But why? If the chrome is pealing, it may indicate a larger failure or just reflect poor maintenance, either way I have to check it out very carefully. If it is in great shape, who cares, dive with it.

Metal parts ONLY in outside.

Yes. I am talking about the poorly maintained regulators from the previous owners.

I am rebuilding it with pleasure. :wink:

I look forward to hearing more...

There are places that will re-chrome the entire reg if your looking to restore it, otherewise just clean it up and dive it.

Re-chroming might be a problem imo.
If it's on the outside you have to take it apart,to prevent different parts to stick together.Then you will have the problem that the exposed inside will collect chrome aswell.Resulting in plugging up small holes and or changing inner diameters.
Chrome paint on the outside seems the best option to me.
Best imo is just clean it and dive it.

cheers,

Here is DIY sub-forum, so I am not looking for a solution that somebody does it for me. :wink:

No. I don't intend to re-plated chrome any internal part, ONLY outside cosmetic..

Instead of a spray can, how about a pen or little brush touch up?

Have you ever done it before?

Metal parts ONLY in outside.

Yes. I am talking about the poorly maintained regulators from the previous owners.

I am rebuilding it with pleasure. :wink:

I look forward to hearing more...

Take apart the regs and send them to a re-chrome shop. Keep in mind, sometimes it is not chrome but nickel, the shop can help identify and assist in the re-chroming. Have fun and post some pictures!:wink:

Here is DIY sub-forum, so I am not looking for a solution that somebody does it for me. :wink:

No. I don't intend to re-plated chrome any internal part, ONLY outside cosmetic..

Instead of a spray can, how about a pen or little brush touch up?

Have you ever done it before?

Sorry,but no never done it before,but the autopart pen seems (to me)the best way to go.It will protect from corrosion.
I do have some older regs,missing some chrome and they do tend to turn green after a few dives.

cheers and best of luck,

I understand your desire to have this be a DIY project and can relate to that. Within the scope of DIY you can still sub things out and retain your honor.:wink:

The vintage dive community (self included) had been getting a lot of re chroming done and the results are spectacular if done right. Of you go to vintagedoublehose.com you can find lots of reading on the topic including this thread.

The process involves stripping the part, polishing it, copper plating, polishing, nickel plating, polishing and finally the chrome top plating. The guts of it all in mainly the nickel. For jobs like this you want someone who specializes in detail items, often motorcycle parts it seems.

The biggest caution regards threaded features. The chroming process can cause threads to grow making the males too big or the females too tight.

Other than all that if they are merely external non functional surfaces you can paint them any way you want. At the end of the day the brass could be unfinished as long as you stay on top of the post dive cleaning. On a related hobby (snow blower collecting) I have used "aluminum" paint to touch up silver foil labels. While it was far from perfect having continuity of a similar color improved the appearance a lot.

Pete

The auto parts stores also sell that bumper touch up paint in a spray can. We used to call it "Mexi-Chrome," and used it for various shiny things. It looked good a few feet off, but I don't know how it would do in salt water. It's obviously made for exterior use.

I'm with Pete, though. Find a place that does restoration chrome plating. It'll look a LOT better than anything you can come up with at home.

Don't sweat the DIY stuff. You're still doing everything else DIY, sending it out for a dip in the chrome tank isn't a big deal, and the results are well worth it.

One more thing, talk to the chrome guy about removing the other platings (copper, nickel, chrome), then redoing them so as not to affect the thread sizes. It's a matter of them reversing the electrical leads and the stuff comes right off, back into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom