Chrome Recovery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are trying to make the regs look like new, its not going to work. If you are just trying to make them look a little better, and stop additional corrosion from taking place, why not try it? Those chrome pen-type products are are just silver paint, so you would get equally good results from many other paints (including those little bottles of enamel from the hobby shop) and probably equal protection from even clear nail polish. If it doesn't hold up, easy enough to touch it up later as needed.

As with all paint, surface prep is the key so you will want to acid clean them (white vinegar is fine) and ultrasonic if possible.

We are having many vintage regulators re-chrome to a perfect as new condition on a regular basis. At this point there are at least two chroming facilities that I am aware of that will do a great job on regulators…I am sure there are more.

The finish in one of my Phoenix Royal Aqua Master looks just like a new regulator and so far it seems to hold up better than some of the original finish.

What part? If it is a metal part it can be re-chromed by a bumper repair shop.
Chroming a brass regulator uses a process that is substantially different than the process used to chrome a steel bumper.

There are very few companies that have the equipment and chemistry to do the chrome over copper over brass process needed on a regulator and unless they polish between each step, the results will be dissapointing.

As stated, to rechrome to a nice finish the process is usualy Copper Plate, Nickel plate, Chrome plate. If the part was chrom plated to begin with, that plate is striped off to the base metal so that you start fresh. The guys that do this are usualy small custom shops that do a lot of motorcycles and antique cars.

Cost? I would expect anywhere from $10 for a small part up to $100 each for complex parts. On the whole, it is just not worth it as you can get another reg of the same type off of Ebay and build a new reg from the best parts of 2 or more regs for less then the plating costs. I am having an old Voit double hose Polaris 50 reg rechromed right now, costs was $45 for each can (x 2 cans) and $10 each for the yoke, screw, and a large washer. Add in shipping and any environmental charge (yes they add that in some times) and I am at $140. One quote was $250 for just the two cans.

Back
Top Bottom