Metal Shaving in Reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
I
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am in the process of changing out all of my hoses and noticed what appears to be a metal shaving/flake on the internal threads of the lp inflator hose port of the regulator. This is on an older APEKs chrome reg ATX50 ? Before screwing in the hose and carrying on I thought I would ask if this could be a major problem to dive with before my next inspection. It looked like a few very small chrome flakes the smaller than a pen head but it freaked me out a little. I don't think anything got inside but who knows. Filters would pick up any particulates, correct? I just used this set in December and leave this week for Bonaire. Thanks for any feedback.

Has this 1st stage ever been serviced? I am wondering if what you're seeing was left over from the manufacturing process?

Also, one of my DIN valves (an original, slanted back, Sherwood Genesis 300 Br K-valve) has always been prone to flaking. However, I can't imagine how any of the chrome flakes could ever make it beyond the 1st stage's inlet filter, into a hose coming off the 1st stage.

rx7diver

Thank you for the reply. I have it serviced yearly but this is an old 1st stage. I think I got it in 2005 maybe? I went ahead and changed the other hoses and did not see any other flakes so maybe this was an isolated situation. In any event thank you both for the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom