¡Christmas Norte!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, in sailing terms that is put up full sail. Are we really automatically shutting down diving for that?
My first time in Cozumel, I had no idea how things worked. The resort had an inhouse dive op and I was eager to dive the first morning, but the port was closed for a norther. I looked at the little waves and asked some Oregon divers if they ever see conditions that good at home. It opened by 10am tho, even to the little pangas.
I'll stay off the Cozumel facebook pages. Invariably there will be some poor vacationer complaining about their plans being ruined (bc the harbor will be closed) and locals telling them to 'relax - you're in paradise'. I really feel sorry for the folks who have saved up their money to go snorkel, dive, deep sea fish, or just take a trip to El Cielo. It might be their only opportunity for years.
Three days in a row will be rough for many vacationers and the ops as well.

Come on, in sailing terms that is put up full sail. Are we really automatically shutting down diving for that?
It isn't the wind velocity as much as it is the direction, and it isn't the conditions at sea as much as it is those at the shoreline.

Sailboats are designed differently than Panga boats that are open bow and low to water (especially those overloaded with snorkelers). Panga boats can/have sink/sunk in these conditions.

The port Captain has communicated the following:

Good morning to the entire Cozumel Maritime community.
This is a PREVENTIVE message.
Tomorrow, Thursday night, December 22, a Cold Front is forecast to enter the Gulf of Mexico, number 19 this season.
The forecasts indicate that at noon on Friday the 23rd, the Cold Front will be reaching the Caribbean Sea and the wind will begin to roll towards the North. For the afternoon and night of Friday, the winds can reach speeds of over 25 KM/HR, and they will continue to blow even more strongly on the 24th and part of the 25th.

If the forecasts do not change on the 23rd, the port will be closed for small boats starting at 1:00 p.m. No boat will be able to set sail with a tour after 11:00 a.m., and all smaller boats must be sheltered at 2:00 p.m.

They are reminded that non-compliance with the provisions issued by this Maritime Authority, especially in matters of procedures to safeguard human life at sea, can generate sanctions that can hurt the economy of their activities.
This is a PREVENTIVE message.
To the entire Maritime Community of Cozumel

I am hoping that things improve but the latest from windguru.com is not looking good.

I am hoping that things improve but the latest from windguru.com is not looking good.
One news site calls this cyclone "storm of a generation." I'm trying to visualize something worse than February 2021.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A member has reported a number of off topic posts. A reminder: this is in the Cozumel forum and what you think about the Texas government's storm readiness (or yours, for that matter) is irrelevant.

Things aren't looking any better for people in many area of Canada or the US when it comes to travel or outdoor activities right now thru Sunday. Depending on location you may already be having parts of the storm, had the storm or are (as in my case) are waiting for the storm to arrive. Aircraft are stuck at closed airports all over the place causing travel issues galore to the point we're being told you simply may not get to your planned destination until after Christmas and in many instances that includes who started their trip & are now stuck where they were to catch a connecting flight which can't leave where ever it's stuck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom