Norte vs tropical storm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went to mega this morining. Everyone boarding up and taking down awnings. Will be my first hurricane. Been thru alot of tornadoes but they dont last 12 hrs. I got a kilo of carnitas and tortillas so im ready.

We are set to arrive tomorrow, but looks like ferries may not be running so the bag drag just got a little awkward. Anyone have a recommendation for a hotel close to the ferry pier in Playa?

Damn you 2020...

Jay
Midday tomorrow the track has it on the north coast of the Yucatan between Holbox and Merida I would hope the ferries would be back in operation tomorrow evening. As insurance Expedia still has a number of hotel rooms near the Ferry pier. Barrio Lindo (nothing special but a basic room) is still showing rooms for about $30 and while nothing special it may be nice as a backup plan since they do not require a credit card to reserve.. If the ferry does run tomorrow night I would expect it to be packed and if they are still operating alternate days a ticket for the one scheduled on Tuesday may not do you any good the next day with the other company. A look at both Winjet and Ultramar websites no longer shows the daily schedules.
Bear in mind it is not just Cozumel in the track but the pier area in Playa also has a bullseye on it. By midday you should have a pretty good idea on how playa is doing. Another idea if it does not look like you will make it over tomorrow night would be to go into Cancun on the ADO bus, there is a nice cheap decent hotel across the street from the Centro bus terminal , Hotel Plaza Caribe, with rooms from $32. ADO runs buses stating at 7:10 AM to Playa the next morning

Midday tomorrow the track has it on the north coast of the Yucatan between Holbox and Merida I would hope the ferries would be back in operation tomorrow evening. As insurance Expedia still has a number of hotel rooms near the Ferry pier. Barrio Lindo (nothing special but a basic room) is still showing rooms for about $30 and while nothing special it may be nice as a backup plan since they do not require a credit card to reserve.. If the ferry does run tomorrow night I would expect it to be packed and if they are still operating alternate days a ticket for the one scheduled on Tuesday may not do you any good the next day with the other company. A look at both Winjet and Ultramar websites no longer shows the daily schedules.
Bear in mind it is not just Cozumel in the track but the pier area in Playa also has a bullseye on it. By midday you should have a pretty good idea on how playa is doing. Another idea if it does not look like you will make it over tomorrow night would be to go into Cancun on the ADO bus, there is a nice cheap decent hotel across the street from the Centro bus terminal , Hotel Plaza Caribe, with rooms from $32. ADO runs buses stating at 7:10 AM to Playa the next morning

Flights just canceled until the 29th....fml. Checkin into driving to dallas and flying american on the 28th. Thanks for your responses.

Jay

Flights just canceled until the 29th....fml. Checkin into driving to dallas and flying american on the 28th. Thanks for your responses.

Jay
AA 1256 to CZM in bound to CZM (left 12 min late @ 12:34) with a full load going back out this afternoon. The DFW to CUN routes tomorrow are still on the board with available seats.

It’s 5:30 and the winds and rain are picking up right on schedule. We’re staying at El CID, they provided lunch and boxed dinners. Came to our room to shut storm doors and again emphasize that we have to stay in our room. Kind of made it sound like it is illegal(?) to walk outside and/or drink alcohol. It is too nasty to walk around but to heck with no alcohol. Made a run this morning just to make sure I won’t run out if we’re locked up for a couple days.

And it continues to slip South, North East of storm will rake the island but the main track is now just north of Tulum. Hopefully less damage, most boats stayed in their berths to ride it out in the Marina's.
Screenshot_20201026-173111.png

7:55 Update. Aldora has canceled all diving for today in anticipation of the approaching Zeta storm. Right now there is no wind at all, with overcast skies. The harbor conditions look OK, but trying to squeeze-in a quick morning dive was probably not a wise idea. Getting back to town from southern dive sites would be problematic, as the wind and sea conditions deteriorate later in the morning. Memo says the governor of QR has declared all businesses close by 2 PM to allow employees time to prepare at home. Bars & restaurants will be closed.But as long as the WiFi stays on at Casa Mexicana, I’m good.
FYI the port closed yesterday (federal, the whole island not a marina) while the conditions were not that bad in the AM the 'port captain' kept the restriction, it was not an individual operators call. I understand by 10 AM the winds came up. A good call by the port captain (1 atta boy verses 1/2 dozen Ah $hits)
:D

Not a direct hit as it veered south, but the airport is still reporting heavy rain and stong winds...

upload_2020-10-26_22-12-41.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom