Choosing the right fins for my diving needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll throw Force Fin in there as one of my favorite fins. I currently am diving a Pro Model version of the Excellerating Fins but about to purchase the new Indigo Blue Hockey Fin when they are re-released in the near future. Most comfortable and easiest kicking fins I've ever owned or tried. They are expensive though.

DiveRite XT fins.. Doesn't matter if you're diving dry or wet, they deliver without the excess weight of the Jetfins..

Something, weight of the jetfins can be benefitial

I'll throw Force Fin in there as one of my favorite fins. I currently am diving a Pro Model version of the Excellerating Fins but about to purchase the new Indigo Blue Hockey Fin when they are re-released in the near future. Most comfortable and easiest kicking fins I've ever owned or tried. They are expensive though.

To put things into perspective, two pair of force fins list above, almost the same as cost my used DiveX scooter + my used Jetfins. Yes, they are that expansive

@MasterMindDiver

before my recommendation. I currently own the following
Dive Rite XT
Scubapro Jet Fins
Mares Avanti Quattros
Deep Six Eddy
Hog Tech 2-Same as Apeks RK3, Poseidon, etc all same manufacturer

I owned OMS Slipstreams for quite a while and have a lot of dive time on Hollis F1's.

Your decision is unfortunately going to be based on two factors. First and most important is your foot size. I am very limited in fin selection because of how wide my feet are, so few fins fit my feet, especially in a drysuit. Second and also very critical is whether you go sidemount or doubles. You can use either fins with singles, but is quite important for doubles/sidemount.

If you choose sidemount, then I would go with Deep Six Eddy or Dive Rite XT. Can go either way based on personal preference. Either of the fins will require significant leg strength to move quickly, but anything that requires less effort, will require more kicking to get somewhere.

If you go doubles, which you will if you go with GUE training, then Hollis F1's are probably where I would go at least until Deep Six comes out with a negatively buoyant fin, if they do. I think the F1's are better than the Jet Fins, but I can't justify the cost to switch. If I were buying new, it would be the F1's

Hello Scubaboard,
I am sending since I got lost in comparing fins ... and the varieties are a lot .. hence I am checking in here with the folks who have real practical experience with each of the following fins ..
  • Scubapro Jet fins
  • Mares Power Plana Tec XR
  • Hollis F1 , with or without yellow tip
  • Scubapro seawing nova
  • Mares Avanti Quattro Plus
  • XS Scuba Turtle Fins
  • APEKS RK3 Fins
  • Deep 6 Eddy Fins
My needs are:
  1. I am diving in dry suit and back plate/wing
  2. so far diving with single tank .. but in the future planning to dive with side mount .. or may be twin tanks on my back.
  3. I am a dive master candidate .. so need to move fast in case i need to help/catch someone
  4. planning for doing GUE diving/training
  5. my legs are not strong , but planning to exercise more to have better muscles..
  6. want to master frog kick , helicoptering and reverse kicking ..
I know that i may need to have 2 different fins as nothing is complete and my needs may not be fulfilled with 1 pair of fins.. ...

Regards
I have used the Scubapro Jets and they were bulletproof - amazing performance, very good for drysuit, only downside is the foot pocket isn't that generous and the spring strap has no tab to pull on. Guess you can change them.

On the other hand I have also used the Apeks RK3 and I really liked them but they are much lighter and would be geared more towards warm, weak currented water. But very good manoeuvrability in tight spaces. Much better features, just simply not heavy enough for a drysuit unfortunately.

@MasterMindDiver

before my recommendation. I currently own the following
Dive Rite XT
Scubapro Jet Fins
Mares Avanti Quattros
Deep Six Eddy
Hog Tech 2-Same as Apeks RK3, Poseidon, etc all same manufacturer

I owned OMS Slipstreams for quite a while and have a lot of dive time on Hollis F1's.

Your decision is unfortunately going to be based on two factors. First and most important is your foot size. I am very limited in fin selection because of how wide my feet are, so few fins fit my feet, especially in a drysuit. Second and also very critical is whether you go sidemount or doubles. You can use either fins with singles, but is quite important for doubles/sidemount.

If you choose sidemount, then I would go with Deep Six Eddy or Dive Rite XT. Can go either way based on personal preference. Either of the fins will require significant leg strength to move quickly, but anything that requires less effort, will require more kicking to get somewhere.

If you go doubles, which you will if you go with GUE training, then Hollis F1's are probably where I would go at least until Deep Six comes out with a negatively buoyant fin, if they do. I think the F1's are better than the Jet Fins, but I can't justify the cost to switch. If I were buying new, it would be the F1's

I have santi Dry suit with 3XL flexsole .. it is 13/14 US size .. I believe i will have limited options based on what you said :)
I am very interested in side mounting and planning for a training but thinking to get started with GUE fundies after finishing DM internship..

My favourite fins out of that list is the XS Turtle fins. Why? Because they fit. I found the F1s too long for me, and jet fins didn't fit as well as the turtles. Try as many as you can and see what is best for you as everyone is different

When all is said and done, you'll still see a lot of 40 year old Rocket fins, because they still do the job they always did. Some of the new designs may be better, some worse. If you want power, you need a big stiff fin and that will also mean heavier than small fins, so tiring too if it is more than you need. Fnacy gimmicks come and go, no reviews actually seem to find huge advances overall.

So you might want to find a local dive shop that carries at least three of what interest you. Make 'em a deal for renting one of each kind for one or two days, and ask to apply the rental fee to your purchase afterwards. Or ask them for a creative counteroffer. You'll only know what works for you after you have tried it. (Or of course, you can just buy those rocket-type fins.)

If you want speed and power in the water, I'd suggest you look into a dolphin kick, which requires flexing your whole body and not using separate leg kicks or any arm strokes at all. It is tiring, it takes practice to do a dolphin instead of just thrashing around, but there's no other stroke that can haul ass through the water the same way, when you are totally submerged.

I tried to check several fins for the dive shops near by .. but all of them are not holding these kind of fins .. as almost all dive shops around me are oriented into PADI diving rather Tech diving.. yesterday i went to a dive shop after driving for 35 mins .. and did not find any of these fins there , but they can buy it for me .. :D
only one shop I know in my area focusing in Tech diving who have only the F1 .. planning to check it today and see how it fits on me.

otherwise will do it the hard way .. buying .. checking the size .. and may be returning .. without having getting it wet.

for GUE and Backmount, get a heavy fin. Not mine (Deep 6) or a light fin like the DR

Back
Top Bottom