Choosing the right fins for my diving needs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MasterMindDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Scubaboard,
I am sending since I got lost in comparing fins ... and the varieties are a lot .. hence I am checking in here with the folks who have real practical experience with each of the following fins ..
  • Scubapro Jet fins
  • Mares Power Plana Tec XR
  • Hollis F1 , with or without yellow tip
  • Scubapro seawing nova
  • Mares Avanti Quattro Plus
  • XS Scuba Turtle Fins
  • APEKS RK3 Fins
  • Deep 6 Eddy Fins
My needs are:
  1. I am diving in dry suit and back plate/wing
  2. so far diving with single tank .. but in the future planning to dive with side mount .. or may be twin tanks on my back.
  3. I am a dive master candidate .. so need to move fast in case i need to help/catch someone
  4. planning for doing GUE diving/training
  5. my legs are not strong , but planning to exercise more to have better muscles..
  6. want to master frog kick , helicoptering and reverse kicking ..
I know that i may need to have 2 different fins as nothing is complete and my needs may not be fulfilled with 1 pair of fins.. ...

Regards

I have Seawing Nova fins, they take a little getting used to. I used to wear Cressi Space frogs, but kept on getting cramps in my legs. I haven't gotten leg cramps since I've been wearing the Seawing Nova fins. Plus I move faster with them too.

#1 means you want heavy fins. You are left with Jet, F1 and Turtle. I am not sure if Deep6 has a heavy version out yet, and I haven't seen or used Apeks. #4 means you need stiff paddle fins. Again, Jet, F1, Deep6, Turtle. #1, #4, #6 basically eliminates Seawing completely

If I were you, I will first look for a pair of used Jet. They usually can be found for under $50 + $20 for spring straps. You may like them enough that you don't need anyting more expansive. I probably won't buy jet at new retail. If Deep6 is negative like jets, they look like a good choice too, especially at $100 with spring strap

F1's or Jets for drysuit. The XS are Jet copies, but I found the Jets better. The RK3's are too floppy for me. The difference between the F1's is only the color on the tips, however they do have the new F1 LT's that are less negative.

For sidemount, Dive Rite XT's or the Mares Quattros. I've never dove the F1 LT's, but I can't imagine they're much different from the regular F1's in terms of performance, but less negative which may be necessary for sidemount. That being said, a friend of mine dives regular F1's in both back, side, and rebreather and doesn't have a problem with them being too heavy.

I don't have any experience with the Deep6's, but reports are that they're excellent.

Decide what you want to focus on first, GUE, DM, sidemount? Your needs for each may be particular, and you'd be better served getting each one out of the way to completion before trying to change. That being said, a configuration based on GUE's principles and training will provide you with the greatest skill benefit, and will make DM that much easier as you will be a better diver. I did my DM with a long hose and a can light and despite the difference in gear configuration, was an order of magnitude better at all of the skills because of the training I had prior. The better the indian, the less important the arrow.

You'll probably find that one set won't do it all. A fin heavy enough to keep you in trim with BM doubles might want to put you feet down in sidemount. To handle the precision kicks you'll need some stiffness. I like the F1's foot pocket much better than that of the Jets, and the Slipstreams for a similar, but lighter weight fin.

The jet fins are great for drysuit diving needing the weight back there and have a nice thick cross section for back kicks and helicopter turns
I wear a size 10.5 shoe with turbo soles and dove with XLs for a while and had a revelation when I borrowed a pair of XXLs and found them to be much more comfortable with the foot all the way in. Definitely try on whichever you decide on

All things considered, Jets.....bullet proof, found every where cheap, easy to trim in Back or Sidemount......make sure they have a spring strap and you've met all your criteria.

I have a pair of Apeks RK3 for sale, size large, if you're interested. They tweaked my knees. I've switched to Dive Rite XTs, which are much better on my knees.

Back
Top Bottom