choose scuba bag with wheels for checked luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used a (wheeled) Kona bag for travel for many years. pricey yes. But in my opion well worth it. Holds 2 sets of fins. Very durable. My first bag lasted over 10 years. Just remember that bags need to be cleaned with fresh water after a trip. and the metal parts lubed as well. Keep it under 50 pounts when flying.

Good Divin
SoCalRich

I would avoid Akona bags. I used mine for two trips, the wheels broke. Then I fought for over 8 months to get any satisfaction. They eventually decided to cover the bag once I proved it was a design flaw. Their rep told me that they cant design a bag that will survive airline handling. I will never buy another Akona product. Look at the thread under Akona in manufacturers on sb.

Stano

+2 on Costco bag. We have 2.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 12:44 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 28th, 2013 at 12:45 PM ----------

Oh, and something else to keep in mind. If you do buy a bag that is very generic, mark it well on the outside so it is very obviously yours. We had a bag temporarily lost returning from Aruba because it was identical to another and some one pickup up our bag at the transition stage between check in and customs. Fortunately for us, they obviously went through custom thinking the bag was theirs so it was loaded on the plane and we got the bag at landing at Atlanta. But because their bag was not taken through customs by us for obvious reasons, I don't know if they ever got their bag. We did report the mistake while still at the airport in Aruba so hopefully they did.

Last edited:
I have a Stahlsac that I bought used but like new on eBay. Great deal! Absolutely love the thing. Whatever you buy, get something that is well made. A diver on one of our trips bought a cheap piece of luggage and when we arrived at our destination airport, his belongings were all over the conveyor belt and hanging out of his suitcase. He spent much of the time that week trying to find a new suitcase to use for the way home. Ended up spending $100 for another cheap piece of crap which definitely was not worth it but he had no other alternative. Buy something well made for peace of mind.

Are you able to fit fins in the main compartment on the Costco bag?

Yes, we use the lower compartment for gear and the upper compartment for clothes.

Unless they are the long free dive fins. I don't have a pair to try but I don't think thoses will fit.

We have used the Costco bags for three trips and they have held up well so far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom