How to pack a roller mesh bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,
So I got the Aqualung Explorer mesh duffel roller bag 95L from an LDS this week. The idea was to pack my dripping wet gear post-dive BP/W wetsuits, swim trunks fins regs etc on the way back from a dive shop to the local hotel wherever I am travelling. Unfortunately now on a closer look I realised that the roller bottom where the wheels attach is basically an “L” shaped hard shell of about 10” height at its smallest or too tall to pack inside the suitcase I would travel by flight with. When I bought it I was thinking the mesh bag would collapse into a small flat package that I could tuck inside my suitcase on flights (didn’t check properly). It is also obviously too delicate to use as a separate luggage item on flights.

I really need this type of mesh bag on my diving trips and now I have made a $100 blunder. Anyone have any tips and ideas how I can travel with it on flights?

I have a similar mesh bag which until I replaced it this year, I used to carry my scuba gear. I have checked it on planes to I can't tell you how many countries, mostly in the Coral Triangle. I used it because it was light and I could meet the weight limits with it. I never had a problem with theft.

717Ca9A5b6L._AC_SL1200_ (2).jpg

Anyone have any tips and ideas how I can travel with it on flights?
How about carrying it on as your personal item. It's definitely not as tall as some of the bags other people carry on as personal items.

When I bought it I was thinking the mesh bag would collapse into a small flat package that I could tuck inside my suitcase on flights
Exactly the reason I got the Aqua Lung 250 mesh backpack - it's not a roller, but I can still carry my stuff. Any water drains away from body when carrying it.

I use this bag and i can back two of them into a small carryon bag, including a few items stuffed in to reduce weight on checked bags

How about carrying it on as your personal item. It's definitely not as tall as some of the bags other people carry on as personal items.

Exactly the reason I got the Aqua Lung 250 mesh backpack - it's not a roller, but I can still carry my stuff. Any water drains away from body when carrying it.
I use this bag and i can back two of them into a small carryon bag, including a few items stuffed in to reduce weight on checked bags

In this part of the world I think only a single carry-on bag up to 7kg is allowed . This thing weighs 3kg empty!! It’s been two years since I travelled International so I don’t remember if the common S.E Asian airlines allow 2 pieces more than 7 kg… been blindly carrying single 7kg carry-on even for International because that’s what domestic airlines allow. I typically fly Malaysian Thai Malindo or Air Aisa and while they appear to have two bag allowance the limit is still 7kg. And then I tend to fly domestic airlines abroad in-country that may be smaller turbo-props like Droniers and they have their own set of rules…

This thing cost me $100 and I don’t feel like spending another $100 for another bag and let this go waste - even if I can afford it. It just feels so wasteful!

Edit: This 95L bag is also the right size for my BP/W perhaps a 65ltr would also be a good but tight fit. If anything smaller that packs into a carry-on I can’t imagine. My carry-on is a backpacking haversack of 65L anyways so…

In your region of the globe….

do they still allow the service of clear plastic stretch wrap for baggage (within & after security) ? That way the mesh would not snag on the conveyors.

I have seen it even after 9/11

That way, at least you could travel with it as a main piece of baggage.

Not really sure of the original intended utility however. I stuff the wet stinky gear in a garbage bag to go home. If you just want to transport it between boat and room, a simple and cheap $8 mesh laundry bag will do.

I have a couple of ‘duck decoy bags’. They are huge, have great shoulder straps, and although they were $25 each, it will carry 9 cu ft of stuff.

Yeah, the thing you bought might have to wait for another application. Cat carrier?

I use the Aqualung Explorer II Mesh Collapse. You can fit it in any bag and it has no wheel.

Attachments

• 7CE595EE-FF8C-46DD-AB39-6D73EDCA113A.jpeg
    7CE595EE-FF8C-46DD-AB39-6D73EDCA113A.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 88
This is one of my 2 carry on bags for non liveaboard trips. Obviously there's no need for 2 rolling bags on a LOB. this shows 2 of the rolling bags packed for carryon.

Attachments

• 20220217_090203.jpg
    20220217_090203.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 79
I use the Aqualung Explorer II Mesh Collapse. You can fit it in any bag and it has no wheel.
The shop lady was really recommending it but in the same breath saying it’s not in stock…alas…
In your region of the globe….

do they still allow the service of clear plastic stretch wrap for baggage (within & after security) ? That way the mesh would not snag on the conveyors.

yes we have them at airports. One possible use for the mesh bag is sweaty laundry that will otherwise make your fresh clothes stink when packed together in a suitcase… if one neglects to get clothes cleaned on vacation I.e…

Back
Top Bottom