choose scuba bag with wheels for checked luggage ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabdref

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've read the recent threads on this and they're 1/2 year old or don't mention my exact wishes so I'll start another. I want a wheeled bag that'll stand up to airline checked luggage, and will hold two sets of fins, booties, wetsuits and assorted stuff. Anything delicate gets carried on, so this needs to be rip-proof but not hardsided, etc.

I see the 'code alpha 33' bag, does anyone have experience with this, in particular loading SCUBA stuff specifically fins - do "internal dividers" get in the way ? It advertises as "designed for/by Navy SEALs", if you actually -know- whether this is true or not I'm interested in that info. (yes, I realize that this - like so much advertising - could be a falsehood designed to ensnare the easily impressed...)

I also see
Thule
Sandpiper of Cali/SOC
blackhawk ALERT load-out with wheels
Netpack
container store rolling gear back (probably someone else's manufacture but I can't tell whose)

how's about them ?

I'll take care of organizing the contents, I want a strong shell around them, I'm not interested in paying extra for a dive industry logo unless I get a matching increase in quality, etc.

Your experiences with any of these will be appreciated!

Costco wheeled bag. Sells for about $40. It holds up well and has a dry sac built in. The best part is.... When it wears out, you can grab another for $40.

Costco - Home
$66 with a lap top bag. The rolling duffle alone is about $40

TS&M turned me on to these

This is the one I use: Amazon.com: High Sierra AT659 32 -Inch Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps: Sports & Outdoors

It's a bit pricey, but huge and very well built. I can fit fins, BC, dry suit with layers, hood, gloves, etc. Even managed to get in a 30 cu.ft. pony bottle.

mblazer, if you're still reading this, would you mind grabbing a tape measure and checking the actual top-to-bottom internal dimension of that thing? That High Sierra is one of the bags I've been looking at but there are also somewhat less expensive and shorter versions. My fins are 26" long; there are 26" bags but it isn't clear if that's the internal dimension or not.

If you could check that out real quick I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

This is the one I use: Amazon.com: High Sierra AT659 32 -Inch Expandable Wheeled Duffel with Backpack Straps: Sports & Outdoors

It's a bit pricey, but huge and very well built. I can fit fins, BC, dry suit with layers, hood, gloves, etc. Even managed to get in a 30 cu.ft. pony bottle.

I bought this exact bag for dive travel. I was having a hard time finding a bag to fit my XL seawing novas in but this works great. My wife and I pack our fins on the bottom and wetsuits in the top. It really fits a lot if gear.

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

+1 for the Costco rolling duffel. In addition to it being inexpensive for a well built rolling duffel, if something breaks, just take it back to Costco and they will give you a new one.

mblazer, if you're still reading this, would you mind grabbing a tape measure and checking the actual top-to-bottom internal dimension of that thing? That High Sierra is one of the bags I've been looking at but there are also somewhat less expensive and shorter versions. My fins are 26" long; there are 26" bags but it isn't clear if that's the internal dimension or not.

If you could check that out real quick I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

It's 29 by 22 at the base, and about 14 high, although it expands a bit. I use either Jets or Mares Xstremes, depending on where I'm going, and either fits easily side by side on the bottom.

I can vouch for the Costco ful duffel. It is max size that airlines will handle and has made 4 large trips to the Pacific for me without a problem. I wouldn't spend $200-500 on a bag that the baggage handlers are going to chew up. Love the compression straps that keep the bottle tied on if the zipper failed

I find that bags marketed as "For Scuba" from scuba equipment companies just don't cut it.

Look at the bags, and more importantly the guarantee, for the luggage at Briggs Riley (https://www.briggs-riley.com). I have used them for my business travel luggage for many years. Last year I started using them for my checked luggage dive gear bags. I have the Baseline Large Upright Duffle (Ballistic nylon outer fabric) and I have two of the BRX Expedition 28 Rolling Duffles (High performance 420d ripstop and packcloth nylon). The initial cost is high (not too different from the large Aqua Lung, Scuba Pro or Stahlsac bags), but the 'Simple as That®' guarantee is awesome. These guys have a single business...travel luggage and they make quality products that last and they stand behind them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom