Choker Clip Solutions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used chokers for a while, but didn't like that they didn't allow the tanks to sit behind my arm pits far enough

Where were you clipping your neck clip to?

I'd only use a choker if you were clipping to a ring that's under your arm pit. If you're clipping to a d-ring on the harness then you don't use a choker.

The whole point is that it puts the valve next to where you clip off. How far back that is is down to the positioning of the ring on the bungee.

Move the hose clamp higher up the tank so the tether to the bottom clip is a bit longer. Or show up at a singles bar in a limo with a lot of cash. Either way works.

I am not clear on this still. How does this help nose clipping on the buttplate?

I am not clear on this still. How does this help nose clipping on the buttplate?
I believe he thouGht you were talking about having trouble clipping to the buttplate with your bottom clips, not the nose clip.

Hey NetDoc,

I just wanted to let you know that I used your idea and modified my tanks with your clip set up. I also modified my Nomad bringing the bungies underneath the wing using a ring set-up. I just spent the last five days diving wreck alley in San Diego off the Humbolt-Waterhorse charters by sidemount. I hope the pictures came through here-I'm not used to uploading photos on scubaboard. There should be a good shot of me giant striding in sidemount off the boat and several shots of the harness. The bungees arn't pretty yet but I am going to fix that now that it's working well.

Thanks again for your great idea on the choker clips.

PD:D

Attachments

• GOPR0323.jpg
    GOPR0323.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 360
  • GOPR0307.jpg
    GOPR0307.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_0243.jpg
    IMG_0243.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 381
Your tanks hang a bit lower than I anticipate mine hanging... I think I finally get to dive it tomorrow. :D

I just have the top clip tied off with heavy braided nylon cord tied tightly around the tank neck, like Diveaholic and Edd Sorenson showed me, and have been jumping off boats for a bit now. I just flip the bungees over the valves in the water at the start of the dive, and remember to flip them off at the end of the dive. (Then if using stages, i just clip those on top of the main tanks.) This method also holds up well for shore diving in the St Clair River where you get beat up a bit gearing up by waves from boats crashing into the huge limestone retaining blocks lining the channel. If I'd had to fiddle with clipping in the way I did on the few times I used the choker/ring bungies, it would have been messy.

I didn't like the chokers or the ring bungies, couldn't clip in easily at all.

A few thoughts...

1) I am ok with butterfly clips, but no way in hell will I use a boat snap.

2) I tried the old style ring bungees as well as the latest style ring bungees from Dive Rite and neither one really allows the tanks to ride or trim properly.

3) That was the case with both the old style nomad wing as well as the new style wing that ran the bungees underneath the wing. In both cases the tanks hung lower than I preferred - not as low as bottom clipped stages, but close.

4) On this last cave trip I switched to Edd Sorenson's "old school" bungee system on my Nomad. It's basically a piece of 2" wide webbing about 10-12" long with two grommets on each end to attach a loop of bungee. It slides through the slots for the upper single tank cam bands and is retained by a sex bolt through one of the center holes. The grommets support a loop of 5/16" bungee on each side that is quick linked to a bolt snap that attaches to either the pivot rings or one of the D-rings on each side of the harness. It's purpose is just to hold the bungee in position so you can reach back and grab it (a chicken wing/thumb maneuver).

As noted in the post above, Edd just uses a bolt snap with the eye tied to the tank neck with a loop of gold line. However the system is also easily adaptable to tanks set up for the DR choker system, as all you have to do is remove the choker. You can then clip the upper bolt snap to the shoulder D-ring and after you've clipped in the tail, just slip the bungee loop over the tank valve. The boltsnaps remained clipped, but stay tucked out of the way.

It gives you all of the benefits of the ring bungee system (ability to have the tanks metal to metal clipped to the harness for walking, boat boarding, etc) with the improved trim and lower profile of having regular bungees over the valves. Plus it's a lot easier to clip the tanks on than the ring bungee system as the business end of the bolt snap is not secured next to the valve.

For a Nomad, Edd's solution is pretty slick as it properly positions the valves up under your armpits providing both decent trim and a flat profile.

And it's so easy that Marci can even do it without problems. We rigged something similar for her Nomad JT, but routed the bungees underneath using the webbing on the perimeter of the wing as a guide for the 5/16" bungee, but use the same quick links, bolt snaps and nomad tank set up without the choker.

yes, the chokers are off the tanks, but i don't clip them to anything. they are way too tight. so just a loose clip, somewhere up in my armpit...

and watch that 'so easy even marci can do it' crap, bub. sounds like a geico commercial to me! :boxing:

On this last cave trip I switched to Edd Sorenson's "old school" bungee system on my Nomad.
Pics???

I live about 50 miles from my equipment so I'll have to wait until I get over there again to get pictures.

Back
Top Bottom