Chinchorro Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I searched and didn't find anything recent... has anyone been to the Chinchorro Banks/Mahaual lately? How was it? I've looked at dreamtimediving.com and passed a couple of emails with them, and of course, they tout it to be the best diving in the Caribbean. Anyone have any recent experience?

I searched and didn't find anything recent... has anyone been to the Chinchorro Banks/Mahaual lately? How was it? I've looked at dreamtimediving.com and passed a couple of emails with them, and of course, they tout it to be the best diving in the Caribbean. Anyone have any recent experience?

First, I have not been there but am as interested as you are. I heard that there were some live aboard trips in the past, but they didn't generate enough interest to continue operations. Maybe the diving is not good enough to justify the expense of getting there or they failed for reasons not related with diving.

From the talks I have had, the problem with coast based operations is getting to the atoll. I was told, a lot of the planned trips are a washout due to the high seas, often for days. The smaller boats have a hard time in rough seas and a larger boat needs more divers to support the operating costs. Its a chicken and egg problem. Between that and the absolute pain to get into a pretty remote part of Mexico, its not currently visited that much. Sorry about not having first hand information, but these are the concerns I have before going on a trip to the Chinchorro Banks.

As Driftwood said, the biggest problem is getting to the reef. We were in the area (Xcalak) last spring for a week. It was never good enough for a trip, but in fairness the tides were the most extreme in years, and a Norte was sweeping the area. We went with no expectations of being able to make it to the reef, so weren't disappointed when we didn't. We did have great diving in the area, boat picked us up at our resort, 5 or 10 minute ride out over the reef, we were the only people at any particular spot, reefs in great shape, tons of diverse marine life. Did our dive, went back to resort for SI, boat showed up hour or so later with fresh tanks for another round to a different spot. The diving is very similar to Ambergris Caye which is only a short distance away, basically slots in the reef which is 20-40 ft and drop down to 40-80 ft. Very cool diving. We used an op out of Xcalak and had no problems. I don't know anything about the op you mentioned other then what is on the net.

It is a remote spot, literally the end of the road, but is not all that hard to get to. At least I didn't think so. You can't fly in directly, step off a plane and be at your resort, but it's not a major expedition. We rented a car in Playa del Carmen after a week on Cozumel, picked up some groceries, drove down in a few hours, stayed a week, and dropped the car off in Cancun on our way out of Mexico. There are some logistical concerns like gas and grocery avalibility, no atms or banks, but nothing you can't get wrapped around with a little planning.

Just an FYI in case you don't know, but Mahaual was pretty much leveled during Hurricane Dean last summer. It wiped out the cruise ship piers and port along with most everything else in the port proper. I'm not sure what the situation is now. Through some fluke in storm positioning, atmospheric conditions and Karma, most of Xcalak and the surrounding area were spared all but minor damage.

Very good information, thank you both! Yes, from what I read it is fairly remote, but could be exactly what I'm looking for. I am a DM candidate and should certify before going down - I have a week on Cozumel w/my gf, the LDS has a trip and I will probably finish up anything I need for my DM there. At the end of 7 days, the group goes home, including my gf. I'm staying til the next Wednesday (next available flight out of Coz w/Frontier). There are 6 OW divers needing their OW part of their cert showing up the day the group leaves, and the owner/instructor and I are going to finish their cert on Sunday/Monday and he and I are thinking of heading down to Mahahual to see if we can go out to the banks... even if we get to dive the local reefs and there is no one else and the sea life is good...
BTW, what were the corals like down there? Took a trip to Taveuni, Fiji this past October and looking for corals now <grin>. It will be hard to beat the soft corals from Fiji but there is always hope!

I have been dying to get out there. But I have a hard time breaking away from here. But I too have heard where it is a lost paradise for diving including hundreds of wrecks around it. I am working with my partner Klaus to make trips from PDC to Chincorros Banks from Playa del Carmen. We're also going to be creating a safari page where we go to dive/stay in Belize as well. Stay tuned to see what we come up with!:wink:

For more gossip: I heard that there was a car ferry stuck on Chincorros here a couple weeks ago and the Army Corp of Engineers was helping the Mexicans get it off the reef there. I have yet to see pics confirming this. I tell you what...Chincorros Banks does have alot of mystery to it. Mainly beacuse so few people have ever actually made it out there to dive. Thats what draws me there! :coffee:

You and I both, PCB! An adventure with diving... now THAT is a vacation!

It might not be quite the adventure you seem to think it is, because if I remember correctly the diving of the wreck sites is either severely restricted or not allowed at all. I believe only snorkeling is allowed around the wrecks now. I might be wrong, but it would pay to investigate before you get your hopes up.

In addition not all ops are allowed to go to Chinchorro. There is a permit system in place for the operators. There was mini battle going on a year or so ago between the ops as to who could be there or not, apparently one op was going out without permits. I don't know who came out the winner on that one, but I do recall that a boat load of divers was turned back by the Navy or whoever was enforcing in the area. Check the ops creds before you book.

Corals in the area will not match Fiji. I've been to both places, Fiji before I learned to dive, and Xcalak after becoming a diver. The corals I saw in Fiji snorkeling were superior to any I've seen In the Carribean diving. I think the diving is just fine in the Xcalak/Mahahual area, excellent diving in fact, but not coral/color splash of Fiji.

It's a great trip to some great remote diving, but just be aware that there are some logistical issues that need to be worked out ahead of time.

Very good info, I'll definitely do some more diggning around. That would really suck, heading all that way out there only to be turned back because the dive outfit wasn't permitted to dive there... I can only imagine the ensuing arguments.
This is why I love SB!

In addition not all ops are allowed to go to Chinchorro. There is a permit system in place for the operators. There was mini battle going on a year or so ago between the ops as to who could be there or not, apparently one op was going out without permits. I don't know who came out the winner on that one, but I do recall that a boat load of divers was turned back by the Navy or whoever was enforcing in the area. Check the ops creds before you book.

Where would we find info on the permitting system and the park regulations?

My best guess would be the Mexican Coast Guard/Navy station by the ferry pier in PDC. I THINK that the main Coast Guard Station is in Puerto Morelos, that may be another option. At least one or both of them might be able to tell me which station patrols/regulates the area and provide contact information.

Where would we find info on the permitting system and the park regulations?

My best guess would be the Mexican Coast Guard/Navy station by the ferry pier in PDC. I THINK that the main Coast Guard Station is in Puerto Morelos, that may be another option. At least one or both of them might be able to tell me which station patrols/regulates the area and provide contact information.

I'm not sure who sets the rules and who enforces them. You might try contacting the Siaan Kaan biosphere or the CEA project in Akumal via email to see if they can get you a contact. I'm sure either of those organizations will have some common ties with whoever handles Chichorro.

As far as who does the enforcement, it really doesn't matter. There is a strong military presence in the area. Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Drug Enforcement you name it. Whoever has the uniform, the weapon, the boat, the helicopter, the truck seems to have enforcement powers. In addition, like most other ports in Mexico the Harbormaster has a good bit of authority on the comings and goings in their area. When we went on a day trip to Belize we had to provide names and passports to the Harbormaster before we left. Normal day to day diving in area did not require any information on our part, but the op may have had some requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom