Chinchorro Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the idea about lots of small bills, as indeed change seems to be at a premium.

If you are going to be traveling in the area by car, it would pay to be aware of the gas station scam which is detailed on the loco gringo site. Too much to go into here, but if you do a search on locogringo you will hear all of the variations and the ways to combat them.

I haven't used all the maps you mentioned, but would like to add the Mundo Maya map of the Yucatan penninsula. We bought ours at Chichen Itza, but I've seen it other places as well.

I think that all of us have run into the gas station scam and the toughest thing to find in Mexico is the 10p coin. I always carry a bunch of $1's with me for tips.

I haven't seen the Mundo Maya map, but will keep an eye out for it next time we are down there, which may be pretty soon. VivaAeroBus is starting daily service out of Austin to CUN next year with regular prices around $200 rt. The Can Do maps are especially strong on hotel, restaurant, and attraction locations/web addresses. Makes trip planning a breeze.

BTW, if you liked CI, you have to go see Ek Balam! Just north of Valladolid off the road to Rio Lagartos (sp?). It is literally rewriting all the books on Mayan art.

I loved CI, it was about 6 years ago when I went, I heard it is somewhat closed, or maybe you can't climb the big pyramid any longer. I made it to the top and it was amazing what you could see from up there. Ek Balam, eh? I'll have to look into that one.

I dove there two years in a row, but it was seven or eight years ago. I thought it was a great place- very remote diving. It is awsome diving a place and not seeing another boat anywhere on the horizon. The place has the biggest barrel sponges I've ever seen.

All the gas stations in Mexico are government run. What an attendant will do is not reset the pump before filling your tank. He/she can then charge for the pump reading not the gas actually sold. To avoid the scam get out of the car open your own gas cap (most cars have locking ones) and make sure that the pump has been reset. Some stations are worse than others. The Puerto Morelos and PDC station at Constituyentes both have an evil reputation. Its not just a tourist thing, they prey on the locals as well.

With regards to Ek Balam, all Mayan structures were coated in plaster. The more important generally the more plaster. Most of the plaster has eroded away through the years so all we see today is what the Mayans would consider an unfinished product. At Ek Balam, some of the original plaster was very well preserved by a later layer of construction. Unlike any other site this outer layer remained water tight. The Mexicans only started excavating the site 10 years ago and nobody has seen anything like it before. If I had to choose between CI and EB for a second visit, EB would get my vote every time.

Currently, at CI El Castile, the Temple of the Warriors (?) are both closed. They have reopened the observatory.

All excellent info, thanks again. I found a website just for Ek Balam and investigating. Sounds awesome though.
I'll definitely make sure we get the pumps reset also...

All the gas stations in Mexico are government run. What an attendant will do is not reset the pump before filling your tank. He/she can then charge for the pump reading not the gas actually sold. To avoid the scam get out of the car open your own gas cap (most cars have locking ones) and make sure that the pump has been reset. Some stations are worse than others. The Puerto Morelos and PDC station at Constituyentes both have an evil reputation. Its not just a tourist thing, they prey on the locals as well.

With regards to Ek Balam, all Mayan structures were coated in plaster. The more important generally the more plaster. Most of the plaster has eroded away through the years so all we see today is what the Mayans would consider an unfinished product. At Ek Balam, some of the original plaster was very well preserved by a later layer of construction. Unlike any other site this outer layer remained water tight. The Mexicans only started excavating the site 10 years ago and nobody has seen anything like it before. If I had to choose between CI and EB for a second visit, EB would get my vote every time.

Currently, at CI El Castile, the Temple of the Warriors (?) are both closed. They have reopened the observatory.

LOL, you hit the two biggest scammers right on the money. In addition, the station on the east side of the road in Tulum is also getting a reputation, although I've not had any trouble with them, but have had with the two you mentioned. Another scam is the one where a 500 peso note magically changes to a 50 peso note right before your eyes. David Copperfield could take lessons from these guys. Solution: pay with individual one hundred peso notes, count them out, fan them out, and get the attendent to verify, THEN hand over the bills. Lowers the chances of a "misunderstanding".

Thanks for the info on Ek Balam. We have been in the area several times, but have never stopped. Will make a point to do so in the future. If you ever get to Merida, I would recommend the Anthropology Museum (Paseo de Montejo and Calle 43). It is a very well laid out and modern display of Mayan art and artifacts. We went on a Sunday morning, and there were probably only 4 or 5 people besides us until around noon when church let out. In addition, Paseo de Montejo has many wonderful old homes and is a very pleasant Sunday morning stroll. All in all, we enjoyed Merida and the surrounding area very much.

Thanks for the info on Ek Balam. We have been in the area several times, but have never stopped. Will make a point to do so in the future. If you ever get to Merida, I would recommend the Anthropology Museum (Paseo de Montejo and Calle 43). It is a very well laid out and modern display of Mayan art and artifacts. We went on a Sunday morning, and there were probably only 4 or 5 people besides us until around noon when church let out. In addition, Paseo de Montejo has many wonderful old homes and is a very pleasant Sunday morning stroll. All in all, we enjoyed Merida and the surrounding area very much.

When they excavated the tomb at Ek Balam, they found a couple thousand artifacts. They all ended up in Merida. I will have a tough time getting to Merida, wife Becky likes the beach too much to spend much time in the interior.

All excellent info, thanks again. I found a website just for Ek Balam and investigating. Sounds awesome though.
I'll definitely make sure we get the pumps reset also...

The playainfo site has a pretty good review of Ek Balam under the "trip planning" tab. Pictures of the tomb entrance do not do it justice, like I said, NOTHING like it has ever been found. Two other things that are nice are that they left enough trees for shade and the site is very compact so you can do it in a hour or two. Personally, I am surprised that more people don't visit it.

Back
Top Bottom