Chillproof vest vs Thermo Guard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

m|ng

New
Reaction score
I am currently using a Mares Thermo Guard to give me some warmth during my dives. The only problem is that, when I get up the boat, I have to take off the rash guard if not I would be freezing when the wind blows.

Recently there are a lot of "chill proof" vests as they call it, basically a fleece material lining the interior of the suit. Brands like Lavacore and Sharkskin have em. Are they really "chill proof" as they claim? and would they help in keeping warm under and above the water?

Nothing wet will keep you warm above the water... I don't care what they call their products.

I am surprised that you get chilled on the surface interval while diving in Singapore. It is so hot and humid there.

Wet garments will have a cooling effect on the surface due to evaporation. When I'm using just my Lavacore suit for exposure protection, I tend to peel off the upper half during the surface interval so I can dry off. A windbreaker also helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wet garments will have a cooling effect on the surface due to evaporation.

I realize that. It is just Singapore was the hottest and most humid place I ever visited. Your idea of a windbreaker is a good one. Besides exposure protection, the rash guard also protects the skin from the hot tropical sun. So taking it off may not be an option.

I don't get chilled if the boat is stationary, or when there's a slight breeze. But once it starts taking a speedy 15mins back to the resort, that's just torture.
Even peeling off the thermal layer wont help much. Maybe I should consider a wind breaker.

I don't get chilled if the boat is stationary, or when there's a slight breeze. But once it starts taking a speedy 15mins back to the resort, that's just torture.
Even peeling off the thermal layer wont help much. Maybe I should consider a wind breaker.

I have the SURF FUR dive parka. This is the best coat I ever owned. It is like wearing a wall of protection from the elements wind , water and cold. It is a warm fleece parka which is reversible. Which means if you want to put on right after you dive to warm up you can do that, then when you are ready to change and want to wear it again over your dry clothes you just reversde it! Pretty awesome.

It is has a breathable membrane sandwiched between the fleece which makes it water proof and wind proof and the fleece gives you the warmth , a wind wind breaker won't even come close. Very good coat, look into this, its worth it!

Waterproof Parka | Surf Coat | Boat Coat | Swim Parka | Surf-fur.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom