Checklist for a DIR harness + accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anchochile

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a newish diver, putting together my first BP/W for cold water single-tank recreational diving. You can see the discussion of my planned purchases here.

Now I'm looking for advice on making sure I have the correct shopping list for harness hardware, so that I can order everything all at once.

Here's my rough draft - please critique and let me know if anything's missing:
Total price minus the webbing is roughly $25, the Halcyon webbing would double that to $50.

Also, looking for tips on any additional accessories I might want. For example, should I get weight pockets? I currently dive wet with 25lbs of lead (8 in my BCD, 17 on a belt). The SS backplate will give me 5 lbs, so I'll still need roughly 20 lbs of lead (maybe a little less without all the BCD floaty parts). Not sure the best approach for distributing this to belt or elsewhere.

Thanks!

Unless you are wanting to go straight hogarthian, get a d-ring for both sides of your waist band (so 2 bent and two straight).

For webbing, I would just go with standard weightbelt type 2" in whatever color floats your boat. In norcal you are either in a thick wetsuit or drysuit, you won't feel the softness of the webbing anyway.

Get a few feet of high quality thin bungee, and for the ranger bands (elastic bands) go to a bike store as ask to have a couple flat inner tubes. Cut them to size and you'll have a lifetime supply for free. Once they break, replace them with the bungee tied with a square knot rather than un-thread and re-thread your harness.

Get a couple small weight pockets. I like the lockable diverite travel pockets, they will hold about 6 lbs each. I wouldn't get the big ones that hold 16 lbs each, they take up too much room on the belt. That should get you to within 5-ish lbs of where you currently are. The reminder of the weight will need to be distributed appropriately for trim. Keep in mind that travel pockets are effectively non-ditchable. You can open them and pull the weight out the top, but it isn't a quick dump. If you need that, go with a bigger, ditchable pocket or stick with a weight belt and have fun on the "weight belt under or over the crotch strap?" threads.

Get either the 1.5" or 2" crotch strap. Either style works, but you don't want to go too thin.

the halcyon webbing is good, but the dgx generic works fine too.

the 1.5 crotch strap with sewn loop works fine.

get some 3/8 bungee instead of the epdm bands or find a bike shop and ask for their used inner tubes to cut up your own.

i use a weighted sta which only leaves 12 for the belt and is manageable.

I have generic webbing, probably what DGX uses, and my wife has Halcyon because she bought the BP/W used, and I can't tell any major difference. Yeah, the Halcyon is ever so slightly stiffer. If buying webbing separately, I see no reason to choose Halcyon over any other.

I'm a newish diver, putting together my first BP/W for cold water single-tank recreational diving. You can see the discussion of my planned purchases here.

Now I'm looking for advice on making sure I have the correct shopping list for harness hardware, so that I can order everything all at once.

Here's my rough draft - please critique and let me know if anything's missing:
Total price minus the webbing is roughly $25, the Halcyon webbing would double that to $50.

Thanks!

You may as well order a DGX mask for primary or back-up. Great mask @ $100.00, awesome mask @ $29.00.
dx-401106-uc_1a.jpg

Get a couple small weight pockets. I like the lockable diverite travel pockets, they will hold about 6 lbs each. I wouldn't get the big ones that hold 16 lbs each, they take up too much room on the belt. That should get you to within 5-ish lbs of where you currently are. The reminder of the weight will need to be distributed appropriately for trim. Keep in mind that travel pockets are effectively non-ditchable. You can open them and pull the weight out the top, but it isn't a quick dump. If you need that, go with a bigger, ditchable pocket or stick with a weight belt and have fun on the "weight belt under or over the crotch strap?" threads.

I looked at the Diverite pockets. They cost $25 each, vs only $10 for the DGX pockets. Are they worth the extra $30 for a pair?

Also, I'm wondering if it might be best to hold off on buying weight pouches & trim pockets until I see what my trim looks like in the new rig. I could dive with just the BP/W and all additional weight on a belt to start, then invest in trim pockets as needed. I'm a little wary of spending money without knowing exactly how many pockets I'm going to want, where they will go, etc.

I

Also, I'm wondering if it might be best to hold off on buying weight pouches & trim pockets until I see what my trim looks like in the new rig. I could dive with just the BP/W and all additional weight on a belt to start, then invest in trim pockets as needed. .

Yes, that sounds best....and logical....and reasonable and sane,,,,, oh, and smart.

Last edited:
You may also want to look at the HOG dumpable weight pockets. They cost less than the Dive Rites and are quick dump. The DGX pockets are tiny. They are good for trim weight but that's really about it.

Back
Top Bottom