Arranging Weight Harness in relationship to Hogarthian Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rfwoodvt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I finally made the jump and have gotten a BP & W. I'm starting off with a basic one piece harness with the requisite DIR d-rings.

I dive dry and need 30# of lead for SW and want to carry about half of that as ditchable.

I have a couple of options immediately available.

The first is a DUI harness.

Should I adjust the harness so the weight pouches are arranged, above, below, or even with the BPW waist strap?

With the exception of arranging it above the bpw waist strap it seems that the pouches will somehow interefere with the hip d-ring on the BPW waist strap. If so, how do we accomodate for that?

The second is a pair of OMS weight pouches (see pic below)

These can be worn on a separate belt/harness or can be worn directly on the bpw waist strap. If on a harness I have the same arrangement questions. If on the bpq waist (and given the pouches do not have a useable d-ring) what are my alternate options for a hip d-ring?

1679684696461.png

Lastly, would appreciate seeing pics of how you set your ditchable weights up for your BPW

I don't dive with ditchable weight, as I dive a balanced rig that I can reach the surface, and if need be, ditch anything that is negative there.

For weight distribution, it is all about trim and not turtling. I.e., don't overload the four trim pockets on the two cylinder straps so you don't turtle. I'd recommend some combination of a p-weight, trim pockets, and waist (and possibly attached to the BP) pockets. The latter could be ditchable.

I know you asked about a DUI harness, and I've seen them used, but never used them myself due to how I was able to set up my weights. I need 26# with a steel HP100.

Is this helpful at all? I don't mean to ignore what you requested and telling you what you should do. Just offering some alternatives.

I’m non-conventional, I find the typical one piece harness uncomfortable and without a chest strap the harness will often slip off my shoulder, wide shoulders and thick 52” chest just don’t fit that system.I use a harness that works for me, “T” bars and a stiffer waist belt.
F353D3A4-5EC8-4633-B0AE-D146FA6284BD.jpeg
8D486AAC-721C-42B0-9410-8D852F6005B1.jpeg

on the left I put a D ring ahead of the pouch, sometimes I put one behind too but I find I use the forward one most often
93E8FA6C-D88D-49E4-BD95-4EC7C2ED4F0A.jpeg

another option is weight pouches that attach directly to the backplate, like this Zeagle
5D6CAAE0-782C-4F7A-804D-17A636825AFF.jpeg

I don’t like the weight harness for the same reason you don’t, they just don’t sit right on me.

I would say those OMS pouches would work great with something like my set up but with a one piece harness it a real pain the get the waist belt to work with much weight on it, the “T” will distribute the weight to the shoulder strap and just works best for me.

My DUI weight harness would be just below BP/W waist belt. The DUI weight pockets overlapped a bit with waist belt. Been three years since I dived that way, but that’s what I remember.

I would say those OMS pouches would work great with something like my set up but with a one piece harness it a real pain the get the waist belt to work with much weight on it, the “T” will distribute the weight to the shoulder strap and just works best for me.

Was thinking the same thing but the nice feature of the OMS is that upper snap, it goes onto a d-ring on the shoulder straps to help take the load off the waist.

I don't dive with ditchable weight, as I dive a balanced rig that I can reach the surface, and if need be, ditch anything that is negative there...

As I understand "balanced rigs" the primary idea is to move any weight from the rig that is in excess of the lift rating of the rig. So, if you have a 20# wing and 30# of lead you need to move 10# off the rig to the body. having said that, my wing is 60# so I could, in theory, put it all on the rig and still be able to float the whole rig.

However, I also have to lug the rig up and over the gunwales often enough to know that I don't want all my weight on the rig. Hence my desire to split it 50/50 between body and rig that way I can hand off half the weight to the boat before I attempt to get me and the rig back on board.

...Is this helpful at all?

And by all means, yes your comment is helpful. Anything that provides insight, especially as to the "why" things are done is greatly appreciated

Was thinking the same thing but the nice feature of the OMS is that upper snap, it goes onto a d-ring on the shoulder straps to help take the load off the waist.
Yes there are a few others out there that are similar I just haven’t tried them myself

As I understand "balanced rigs" the primary idea is to move any weight from the rig that is in excess of the lift rating of the rig. So, if you have a 20# wing and 30# of lead you need to move 10# off the rig to the body. having said that, my wing is 60# so I could, in theory, put it all on the rig and still be able to float the whole rig.
My understanding is that with a failed wing and no redundant source of lift, can a diver swim back to the surface? (where they can ditch negative gear if necessary). In OW1, I do a quick check with my students for this, but I'm a correct weighting zealout.
However, I also have to lug the rig up and over the gunwales often enough to know that I don't want all my weight on the rig. Hence my desire to split it 50/50 between body and rig that way I can hand off half the weight to the boat before I attempt to get me and the rig back on board.
Okay, you want a separate placement of weight on your body. Thanks for clarifying the reason for your requirements.

Back
Top Bottom