Check Valve - Need Help Installing on Alkin W31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me?

I don't use hopcalite in the little P0 filter that comes on the Alkins. I do use it in my secondary filter cartridges. Its a tiny increase in cost (<$3). I'm changing that 2nd filter at roughly its design capacity anyway even though it probably has a good amount of life left.

You'd be surprised how much CO is floating around an urban garage environment. I get hits on my CO analyzer from various sources, most prominent is my neighbor's car. I don't care if the CGA thinks that 9.9ppm is ok (which is insane), I don't want ANY detectable CO in my breathing gas.

Have you added the 2nd stack yet? I would love to see a pic of how you set it up.

Allen

Have you added the 2nd stack yet? I would love to see a pic of how you set it up.

Allen

I decided to buy the two-stack filtration unit, instead of the single stack from Shelden Sporting Goods to assure good Grade E breathing air quality for a longer period of time. Will be re-packing my own canisters and will move my priority valve and moisture/CO monitor and place them downstream from my final filtration canister, just before my fill whip. With the PO separator and filtration canister and the additional two-stack filtration unit, I should have a very nice setup for my own personal use.

Will post pictures next week whenever I receive and assemble the final solution.

Thanks.

The amount of hopcalite that comes is a PO or Coltri MCH6 filter is tiny and you got to wonder how much good it is really going to do. One more advantage of self-packing, you can use enough that it might possibly do some good. I keep it in a nylon bag so I can reuse it. Catalyts never (in theory) wear out unless mistreated (which in this case means keeping it dry and oil free), adding a bit of new stuff each time, but keeping maybe 3 times as much of the old stuff, too.

Me?

I don't use hopcalite in the little P0 filter that comes on the Alkins. I do use it in my secondary filter cartridges. Its a tiny increase in cost (<$3). I'm changing that 2nd filter at roughly its design capacity anyway even though it probably has a good amount of life left.

You'd be surprised how much CO is floating around an urban garage environment. I get hits on my CO analyzer from various sources, most prominent is my neighbor's car. I don't care if the CGA thinks that 9.9ppm is ok (which is insane), I don't want ANY detectable CO in my breathing gas.

Do you know someplace that sells hopcalite in bulk? I don't have a real need for it as I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars for the LF 16" cartridges with it included. I suppose I could cut an old cartridge open and use that in the P0. But that cuts into my 13x and AC volumes. Hmmm

While I might not use it I guess I should at least save it in a ziplock. Unfortunately I have alot of stuff I'm saving for a rainy day, you'd think I was born in the 1920s :)

Nothing wrong with being frugal. Compressed Air Specialties sells hopcalite. I think they get it from LF. CO contamination is pretty far fetched unless you are downwind of Rjack's neighbor. However, if the 1/1000,000 shot should get me, the worst part would be "I told you so" -- and that cowboy guy is lurking out there.

I don't see a good way to save hopcalite from my self packing of the P0 canisters. I end up dumping all the 13x and AC into a cup and chucking it in the trash. While there are pads inbetween media seperating hopcalite and AC isn't going to be clean.

I will start saving it from the prepacked cartridges though. Might have a use for that someday if I buy a gas engine and go "on the road" with the compressor.

Well, Hacker just said that he places the hopcalite into a cut off stocking (he says "nylon sack") and tamps that into the cartridge. Should work OK. Don't worry about channelling, that's another million to one shot if it's a tight pack.

I decided to buy the two-stack filtration unit, instead of the single stack from Shelden Sporting Goods to assure good Grade E breathing air quality for a longer period of time. Will be re-packing my own canisters and will move my priority valve and moisture/CO monitor and place them downstream from my final filtration canister, just before my fill whip. With the PO separator and filtration canister and the additional two-stack filtration unit, I should have a very nice setup for my own personal use.

Will post pictures next week whenever I receive and assemble the final solution.

Thanks.

Barry,,, Good. You're listening.:lotsalove: After completing all filtration, you will know what we are talking about... Been there done that. My PO filtration is already 10 hrs, so I need to re-pack it soon. :(

The amount of hopcalite that comes is a PO or Coltri MCH6 filter is tiny and you got to wonder how much good it is really going to do. One more advantage of self-packing, you can use enough that it might possibly do some good. I keep it in a nylon bag so I can reuse it. Catalyts never (in theory) wear out unless mistreated (which in this case means keeping it dry and oil free), adding a bit of new stuff each time, but keeping maybe 3 times as much of the old stuff, too.

Vance, I am not sure what is the case on Bauer though.. Alkin PO doesn't include any hopcalite inside. Even their repacking kit only includes 10g AC, 20g MS, and 30g MS. That's it......

Yes, I was also told that hopcalite is pretty much reusable (A manufacture doesn't highly recommend it though. Off the record, they said so).

Do you know someplace that sells hopcalite in bulk? I don't have a real need for it as I'm willing to spend a few extra dollars for the LF 16" cartridges with it included. I suppose I could cut an old cartridge open and use that in the P0. But that cuts into my 13x and AC volumes. Hmmm

While I might not use it I guess I should at least save it in a ziplock. Unfortunately I have alot of stuff I'm saving for a rainy day, you'd think I was born in the 1920s :)

Richard, I got a hopcalite in bulk (I can email you later when I get back home. I think their rate is cheaper than scubacompressor.com). Man, be aware that it was so so expensive. I put a hopcalite in 32" 2nd chamber (re-packable canister).

As I recall, I put 70% MS, 20% AC, and 10% hopcalite on 2nd chamber.

I am so happy with my air quality compare to any other sources. Even I don't have any free flow at 37 degree water (Maybe, LF hyper filtration appliance works well. I know there are many factors involved with a free flow problem though.).

When I repack PO, I also add AC like you did. But, I am thinking of only putting MS from now on since I have the 3rd filtration. I don't want to deal with a blackish AC every 10 hrs. (getting lazy :wink:).

Just my 2 bar...

Well, Hacker just said that he places the hopcalite into a cut off stocking (he says "nylon sack") and tamps that into the cartridge. Should work OK. Don't worry about channelling, that's another million to one shot if it's a tight pack.

Yeah I'll have to steal some panty hose. The inner tube on the P0 is downright tiny though. Won't hold much. Basically I am schemeing how to take the whole compressor on the road to Baja.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom