Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry but I remember reading Philippe Dumas stating that during his time as a civil employee at GERS (sorry I can't give you the book's title, but I've no time to forage among my books), they used triple aluminum cylinders, which were never equaled, according to him.That was way before 1972.

Do you mean aluminum tanks were not marketed for civilians or in the US before that time ?
I was using U.S. Navy twin aluminum 90s in 1967 at the U.S. Navy School for Underwater Swimmers at Key West, Florida. They were not for civilian use, and were their anti-magnetic scuba units.

I’ll get a photo when i get to my other computer.

SeaRat

The tank has a flat bottom. I don’t think they made flat bottom tanks from anything other than aluminum.
Speaking of which. I wonder where the photo come from. We are assuming '50s, but there are people that like to recreate vintage cheesecake shots.

Speaking of which. I wonder where the photo come from. We are assuming '50s, but there are people that like to recreate vintage cheesecake shots.
I vaguely recognize the actress. I did a reverse image search on the image and came up empty. My guess would be mid-sixties. The tank appears to have a single hose (I think) and the big hair and lumpy bikini bottom would fit the period. I bet it was a pre-production still from some European movie.

back in those the 50s-60s there would be “camera clubs”. Which would hire a model and then professionally light the scene and then everyone would snap away. That is why there a millions of pictures of women in bathing suits with beach balls…. Betty Page did a lot of that type of work. It was how a lot “risqué“ fotos were created to get around obscenity laws.

I bet Sam Miller would have talked about dating her…

The tank has a flat bottom. I don’t think they made flat bottom tanks from anything other than aluminum.
After you mention that, I had to look at the cylinder again. It still looks to me like a round bottom cylinder, but with the shadow it is hard to tell. I can see it either way. I can easily see that it may look like a flat bottom.

From the curve of the edge, I still think it is a round bottom steel cylinder, but now I am not totally positive.

I tried to do a close up of the cylinder, but the resolution is not that good.

As far as I can tell, I still think based on the shape of the tank shoulder, the neck, the bottom and the height to diameter proportions, it looks like a common steel 72, from that era.

Maybe it is European cylinder that I do not recognize. But it looks too much like a steel 72 to me.

Perhaps the fins might be a better indicator of the date the picture was taken.

What say ye @David Wilson ?
I've already given my two cents worth at Check this vintage ad out.... The fins are a classic design, Churchills, meaning that they were endlessly imitated over the decades, still in production and therefore difficult to date.

If the hypothesis of these fins being a Soviet incarnation is to be believed, then the late 1950s to the late 1960s would be the chronology.

I pulled it off a vintage Scuba page I follow. Pretty sure it was from the 1950s I’ll see if I can find the original post. But judging from her bloomers… I think that’s what you call them, would be from 1950’s.

If the hypothesis of these fins being a Soviet incarnation is to be believed, then the late 1950s to the late 1960s would be the chronology.

I only said that they looked like the Soviet incarnation that I had as a kid, I never meant to imply the fins in the photo were. :flush:

I've already given my two cents worth at Check this vintage ad out.... The fins are a classic design, Churchills, meaning that they were endlessly imitated over the decades, still in production and therefore difficult to date.

Yes, Stalin was very into the bikini cheesecake images…. As they say “…is potato…”

Back
Top Bottom