Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Avalon harbor helmet divers 1930’s-40’s

Attachments

• B92B698D-820A-40D9-B617-AE2B35398D26.jpeg
    B92B698D-820A-40D9-B617-AE2B35398D26.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 57
  • BD8A09AC-DE30-4CF6-B062-772DA2609838.jpeg
    BD8A09AC-DE30-4CF6-B062-772DA2609838.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 57
Oooh, my dad had those fins, only green. Them's the ones I learned on. They were the USSR knock-offs, @David Wilson may know what/when the originals were.

What tank?

Oh, the one in the background... Steel. Aluminum didn't come out until 1972.

Sophia Loren in a publicity shot for Boy on a Dolphin from 1957?

Scuba starts at 51:50. But the skin diving scene at the beginning is worth a look. I imagine it was the inspiration for a certain visual in The Deep.

5238c.jpg

Oooh, my dad had those fins, only green. Them's the ones I learned on. They were the USSR knock-offs, @David Wilson may know what/when the originals were.
Model 1 fins were manufactured from the late 1950s to the late 1960s by Moscow Rubber Goods Plant No. 4, known as "Mosrezina", on Malaya Gruzinskaya Street in the capital of the then USSR.

The plant:
Mosrezina.jpg

Mosrezina Model1 fins:
2723904606.jpg

I7rgNfwqsRl.jpg

6lmSLw2O9b3.jpg

gf35y2rmPKB.jpg

Contemporary Soviet descriptions:
1. These fins were the first models manufactured in the USSR. The fins are made of light, porous rubber, usually green. The fin has a straight and flexible blade with two ribs for reinforcement. The fins came in a 40-ish size. In later years, fin production focused on models sized 42-43.
2. The open-heel fin from the No. 4 rubber goods plant (‘Mosrezina’) is a soft, heavy type of fin. When the first fins of this type appeared, they were made of foam rubber and so they did not sink in the water. Subsequent batches of this fin were made of rubber with a specific gravity of a little more than one and so they sink. The elastic, smooth and flat fin blade operating area has thickened ribs only at the edges, which gently taper towards the tip. The fin blades have obliquely cut tips. Overall, the fin looks like a fishtail in shape. The heel strap forms an integral part of the body of the fin and is non-adjustable. One drawback is the uncomfortable shape of the foot pocket, subjecting the foot to undue pressure. The fin serves the purpose of low-speed swimming over long distances.

Provenance
Many countries imitated the original American Owen Churchill fins when their domestic industries introduced their own designs during the 1950s. My own opinion is that Mosrezina probably used the West German "Barakuda Original" fins as their model:
1663912619380.png
Of course, Barakuda of Hamburg would likely have modelled their own fins in turn on the Owen Churchill prototype.

What tank?

Oh, the one in the background... Steel. Aluminum didn't come out until 1972.
Sorry but I remember reading Philippe Dumas stating that during his time as a civil employee at GERS (sorry I can't give you the book's title, but I've no time to forage among my books), they used triple aluminum cylinders, which were never equaled, according to him.That was way before 1972.

Do you mean aluminum tanks were not marketed for civilians or in the US before that time ?

Sorry but I remember reading Philippe Dumas stating that during his time as a civil employee at GERS (sorry I can't give you the book's title, but I've no time to forage among my books), they used triple aluminum cylinders, which were never equaled, according to him.That was way before 1972.

Do you mean aluminum tanks were not marketed for civilians or in the US before that time ?

That is what I meant. I was only thinking of commercially available Scuba cylinders.

You are correct, the US Navy (and probably other Navy's) did have non-magnetic aluminum cylinders long before that.

In the US the introduction of aluminum cylinders to the civilian Scuba industry was in 1972 and I believe it was around the same time in Europe. I own a British aluminum cylinder that was first introduced that year. I remember seeing adds (both in the US and Europe) as a new innovation.

Added: We didn't have the Internet back then, so the flow of information was somewhat limited. :)

Thanks

Thank you for the answer, always something new to learn on Scubaboard. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom