Check this vintage ad out...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the navigation board these guys are using.
Very nice, beats this from "way back when".
I did note they can wear whatever gloves they like.

navigation-2-swim-board.jpg

Do you still have that board?
No, this is a stock photo, but used one like it after leaving the Navy, the Navy one had the same type of handles but the board was more pointed at the front, compass in the middle, depth gauge and watch on the sides [as above].
Mine was stolen [as was other gear] in a move, did not notice it for months as it was was not required for awhile.

I was using U.S. Navy twin aluminum 90s in 1967 at the U.S. Navy School for Underwater Swimmers at Key West, Florida. They were not for civilian use, and were their anti-magnetic scuba units.

I’ll get a photo when i get to my other computer.

SeaRat
I've found that photo I was telling you about in the above post. I took these photos during our training at the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967. Note that these were the antimagnetic twin 90 cubic foot tansk, and that the diver on the left of the first photo has an Anti-magnitic DA Aquamaster mounted on the tanks. Note also that they have a round bottom.

We were in the Key West harbor, diving in near zero visibility with a bag of parts that we needed as a buddy team to put together on the bottom. We had to have the parts fully assembled before surfacing. This was an exercise in both buddy diving, and doing things by feel in very low visibility.

SeaRat

Attachments

• Underwater Swimmers Sch001.jpg
    Underwater Swimmers Sch001.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 55
  • Underwater Swimmers Sch002.jpg
    Underwater Swimmers Sch002.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 65
I've found that photo I was telling you about in the above post. I took these photos during our training at the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967. Note that these were the antimagnetic twin 90 cubic foot tansk, and that the diver on the left of the first photo has an Anti-magnitic DA Aquamaster mounted on the tanks. Note also that they have a round bottom.

We were in the Key West harbor, diving in near zero visibility with a bag of parts that we needed as a buddy team to put together on the bottom. We had to have the parts fully assembled before surfacing. This was an exercise in both buddy diving, and doing things by feel in very low visibility.

SeaRat
@John C. Ratliff,
Do you recall the out-of-water weight and buoyancy characteristics of those Al 90's doubles? Also, physical dimensions and service pressure? TIA.

ETA: Interesting that the J-valve is on the "wrong" side.

rx7diver

@John C. Ratliff,
Do you recall the out-of-water weight and buoyancy characteristics of those Al 90's doubles? Also, physical dimensions and service pressure? TIA.

ETA: Interesting that the J-valve is on the "wrong" side.

rx7diver

Both of those pictures are mirrored image. You can tell that the regulators are mirrored. John has posted those pictures many, many times and I never noticed that before. Thanks for noticing that... :)

OK, I had to double check if they are mirror images. It could have been possible to assemble the regulators with the intake and the exhaust reversed, but the label in the exhaust can would have been wrong. The regulators are definitely mirror image.

One more look at those pictures, and now I am really confused. The numbers on the cylinders don't look to be mirrored imaged. But, the regulators definitely look like mirror image. :confused:
Are the numbers on the cylinders up-side-down? To be read from above on a horizontal tank rack?

The Mil spec for those cylinders is available to the public (as well as the mil spec for the steel 72). You can get a copy at VDH, but I will try to post it in a bit.
Both of these documents have been approved for public release.

Attachments

• Mil-C -24316 aluminum non-mag tank OCR-T2.pdf
    376.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Mil-C-24447 steel 72 tank spec OCRt1 w highlights .pdf
    474 KB · Views: 65
Does anyone remember diving without any training to 100 feet for an hour back in the day this all started?

Apparently with Aqualung’s self contained diving unit back in 1952 you could and they did. See attached advertisement.. dive to 100 feet for an hour without training and after 7 year no casualties.

Please share your stories if you started diving without training in the 40’s and 50’s and how you started.

View attachment 626574

... The Mil spec for those cylinders is available to the public (as well as the mil spec for the steel 72). You can get a copy at VDH, but I will try to post it in a bit. ...
Thanks, @Luis H. Neat! Two surprises (for me): (1) The fact that the bottom isn't substantially thicker than the sides. And (2) the plug at the bottom.

rx7diver

Thanks, @Luis H. Neat! Two surprises (for me): (1) The fact that the bottom isn't substantially thicker than the sides. And (2) the plug at the bottom.

rx7diver
From what I have read, the cylinders were made by PST (Pressed Steel Tanks) company, with a contract from the Navy.

They were made from 6061 aluminum seamless pipe and the ends were formed by a spun/ forming process. The forming process left a gap in the center of the bottom and that is why the plug was formed into the process.

AFAIK, at the time there were no aluminum DOT cylinders. These are not DOT cylinders, but the mil standard shadows all the DOT technical requirements, including the design characteristics (for elastic expansion, stress/strength characteristics), the manufacturing process and the hydrostatic testing requirements (CGA Pamphlet C-1).

Some of the extra specifications were related to the non-magnetic requirements.

The ratio of material thickness of the bottom versus the side walls is driven by the forming method during manufacturing. All this cylinders are required to be formed from either one plate (most steel cylinders), a seamless cylinder/ tubing, or a block of metal (like most modern aluminum cylinders). Fusing by welding or other similar methods is not allowed.

The cylindrical side walls experience a higher stress the than the partially hemispherical end, therefore the side walls will drive the wall thickness. The end thickness tends to be just the result of the manufacturing process.

BTW, I have seen a DOT steel cylinders (I think, made in Japan) that were made with the same seamless pipe with spun ends. I looked inside and you could tell that the bottom was spun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom