cheap halcyon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon keeps a hold on the retail prices pretty strongly. Yes, $505 is the cheapest I've seen for the Pioneer 27 and stainless plate, complete. With shipping and an MC pack $550 sounds like a great deal.

The only other option I've seen less expesive is:

1. Used. Sometimes you can get pretty good deals on Ebay.

2. Buying something other than Halcyon. For example, Oxycheq is selling a new backplate and wing system that's designed to compete with the Halcyon stuff. It's a little different, although getting excellent reviews. Likely you could save a bit by purchasing this stuff instead of the Halcyon stuff. In fact, you could even mix-n-match. You'll have to check on prices for their stuff, though - they're new, and I don't know the exact prices off the top of my head. Check out http://www.oxycheq.com They have a reputation that's equal to Halcyon, although the wings especially are very new. We'll have to see what time and abuse does to their gear.

Hey Seajay! I made a mistake! Apparently you're right... all the resorts here use AL tanks too!!! I never actually saw whether my tank was AL or Steel... I assumed they were steel since I was only diving with 4# and sank pretty fast... even my Halcyon dealer was surprised to know how little weight I needed... apparently my Black Maxx wetsuit really does help!

Anyway, I finally got my BP... and I'm setting it up for my weekend dive! :D

I struck a deal with my Halcyon dealer though... I'm borrowing an old AL plate they had lying around... if I like it, I'll get a brand new AL plate with harness... if I find that I need 6# or more... then I'll get a brand new SS plate. But the wing is new... I'm just getting the harness on loan.

That way I don't damage new gear...and I get to experiment without worrying about scratching up gear I might return. :)

And the inflator hose is pretty long... I'm not that tall (5'6") so the standard inflator hose is plenty enough...should I decide to defy the DIR gods and get an Octo+ from Apeks. :lol: I figure, DIR octos sit on a 20" hose... same side, and same length as my inflator... hmmm... I can get rid of a hose if I get the controversial inflator/octo combo. But that's still undecided... I'll play around with my setup before I decide on what works for me.

Hey, man... That's really cool that your local shop has allowed you to borrow an old AL plate! That's great...

This way, you'll know for sure.

...So you're doing an AL80, an AL plate, and "normal" gear? Cool. You know the "weight drill," right?

Once you've got your weight nailed (remember, empty tank) then you'll know exactly how much weight you'll need. Most people need 6 pounds in a 3 mil... Which is taken up with the SS plate. It sounds like you might need less, because of your exposure protection.

Let us know how it goes...

Start of the dive, empty bladder, full lungs... float at eye level.

End of the dive, 500psi, 15feet, empty bladder, I should be neutral as well...right?

I was told that the Luxfer tanks are only -1/-1.5 when empty, as opposed to the Catalina tanks which hit -3 when empty... the resort I was in uses Luxfer (or is it Luxfor?) so that's probably why I didn't need much weight.

If I dive a Catalina tank, I was think of just using the Halcyon STA to offset the weight. The standard STA is about 2lbs right? Plus the 1# of the AL plate... that's enough to offset an empty AL tank.

Although I know trim is something that is usually born out of trial and error...I'd like to get as much calculations done on the surface so that I can fine tune everything as soon as possible.

So far, I'm only starting to appreciate my neutral fleece suit NOW...after all these years...since I'm moving to a BP/wing setup. Knowing that I need less weight = easier finning = less air used... all thanks to my suit... makes me a fleece advocate as well!!! :p I mean, it works for tropical waters... if you dive a 3mm... I'd say it's a much better choice.

Anyway, I'm trying to see if my math is right ... with a Luxfer tank, the AL plate is enough to offset it at 1#. Catalinas are about -2# more than the Luxfer so the 2# STA should be enough to offset the tank. My body should be enough to balance off the empty wing... so with this setup...I should have, at the MOST, is a 2# trim weight on the tank strap or non at all.

Thanks for the link...actually... both brands seem to have a -4 when empty rating (look at the actual test data further down) Catalina has ONE AL tank that is +5 when full and neutral when empty.

Thanks for the link again. :) Very useful info!

jplacson once bubbled...
Start of the dive, empty bladder, full lungs... float at eye level.

Close.

I believe it's "end of the dive," empty bladder, full lungs... Float at eye level. Of course, that doesn't help you at the beginning of the dive... So conversely, you could say:

"Start of the dive, empty bladder, full lungs... Float at eye level, then add the amount of weight that your tank swings from full to empty." With an AL80, that's about 6 pounds. It will be more if you're using a larger tank, and less if you're using a smaller tank.

I was told that the Luxfer tanks are only -1/-1.5 when empty, as opposed to the Catalina tanks which hit -3 when empty... the resort I was in uses Luxfer (or is it Luxfor?) so that's probably why I didn't need much weight.

Well, the truth is that Luxfer actually makes three different AL80's... They're all listed on my site. They all have different buoyancy characteristics, although they all swing about 6 pounds.

...So it really depends on which Luxfer AL80's the resort was using. However, I've found that the most common is the S080, which has been rebadged under different brand names... US Divers and Aqualung being one, if I recall.

Additionally, the actual buoyancy characteristics are going to depend on water density. That is, everything, tanks included, are going to be more buoyant in salt water than in fresh. That's why people diving freshwater commonly talk about AL80's being -3 full and +3 empty. To a very small degree, actual water temperature can change them as well.

That's why we wear buoyancy compensators... To adjust for the buoyancy changes in tanks while diving, and in different diving conditions. Ultimately, that's really what you're shooting for... To only have to compensate for the tank change - not anything else. This will keep the amount of air in your BC to a minimum, which increases your streamlining and minimizes the effect of depth changes to the gas in your BC.

If I dive a Catalina tank, I was think of just using the Halcyon STA to offset the weight. The standard STA is about 2lbs right? Plus the 1# of the AL plate... that's enough to offset an empty AL tank.

I've never seen a Halcyon STA that wasn't 6 pounds... Although they may make it. I've just never seen one. A FredT "light" STA is 2 pounds, and Scott Koplin makes one that's less than a pound in weight.

Although I know trim is something that is usually born out of trial and error...I'd like to get as much calculations done on the surface so that I can fine tune everything as soon as possible.

Agreed. I'm not sure if I posted it here in this thread or not (I'm losing track) but I touch on this subject at http://www.bftwave.net/lcscuba/homebc.html

The idea is to bring your center of gravity and your center of buoyancy together as closely as possible. In my humble experience, diving a 3 mil wetsuit (buoyant), a steel plate (-6 pounds) a light STA (-1 pound) and a heavy tank (-1.5 pounds empty) brings my center of gravity too far back, and I'm prone to "turtling." You might not have this problem with a fleece wetsuit, since your center of buoyancy is not brought forward with a buoyant wetsuit. However, it's something to think about.

Anyway, I'm trying to see if my math is right ... with a Luxfer tank, the AL plate is enough to offset it at 1#. Catalinas are about -2# more than the Luxfer so the 2# STA should be enough to offset the tank. My body should be enough to balance off the empty wing... so with this setup...I should have, at the MOST, is a 2# trim weight on the tank strap or non at all.

I don't see that.

I see that a Luxfer S080 (what's most common) will put you, worse case scenario, at +4 pounds empty in salt water. The human body is naturally buoyant as well (especially with a full breath) and even if your suit really is neutral (I don't believe it is... If you threw it in the water, would it not float?) then you're going to need more weight to offset this.

Once you've decided exactly how much weight you need (most of us do well with a 3 mil, 6-8 pounds and an AL80 in freshwater, or 3 mil, 12-14 pounds and an AL80 in salt) then you're probably going to want to do some "fine tuning" and figure out where that weight should be placed so that your rig isn't "opinionated." For most, it involves about six pounds up and on the back... With the rest on the hips. Of course, that's an individual thing, and your mileage may vary.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Close.

I believe it's "end of the dive," empty bladder, full lungs... Float at eye level. Of course, that doesn't help you at the beginning of the dive... So conversely, you could say:

"Start of the dive, empty bladder, full lungs... Float at eye level, then add the amount of weight that your tank swings from full to empty." With an AL80, that's about 6 pounds. It will be more if you're using a larger tank, and less if you're using a smaller tank.

My friend gave me another way of testing buoyancy..said it's the DIR way... 500psi, at 15feet, empty bladder... you should be neutral. Do both tests give the same results?

Both methods give you the same results, although I've found that the concept of "neutral buoyancy" at 15 feet and 500 psi is somewhat of a gray area, since a person's lungs can add up to +9 pounds of buoyancy. With the regular PADI method of testing at the surface, that variable is nailed down by saying, "a full breath."

It depends on which instructor you talk to... Whether the "DIR way" is at the surface or at 15 feet. I'm not familiar with any official "DIR way" except whichever way gets the job done. :)

Either way, with the exception of the one variable, the results should be the same.

Back
Top Bottom