cheap halcyon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, I just tried the Halcyon... I love it... but the whole rig is kinda pricey!!! :p I might have to delay my purchase for a month and save up a little more... the whole thing is gonna cost me US$640

That's with the 27, AL BP, MC storage, and crotch strap. No BC pocket yet. :wacko:

But I do like it... it's the new 2003 line up with the Halcyon "H" printed in blue throughout the webbing. :)

Sigh... but I will get it... I HAVE TO!!!!!!!! :D

hehehehe...

I'd love to have pockets attached to my suit... but after this MC system... I don't think I can afford a tank refil anymore!!!! :lol:

Anyway... I'll see if I can squeeze a discount from the dealer! :lol:

Ok here's my current dilemna... I want the AL BP because it's 5lbs lighter.

But the Halcyon dealer recommends the SS for 'safety'.

I currently dive with only 4lbs on a regular crappy rental jacket BC and I'm fine with it.

Should I go with the SS or with my original AL and just use trim weights?

I'm thinking of just getting the AL since I can easily adjust my balance using trim weights... if I even need weights at all.

How buoyant is an empty (500psi) steel tank? How about an AL tank at 500psi?

I just bought the Halycon Pioneer and dove with it last weekend.

All I can say is I love the BP/Wings. I wished I waited a couple of days later for that nice "H" print on the straps.

Initially I bought the Zeagle Ranger and I compared it to the BP. The Zeagle like other back-inflated BCDs is a very nice BCD but I just don't like all the excess "fabric" compared to the BP. The regular BCDs have too many stuffs like pockets, rip-cords, dangling fastener, over-sized bladder etc.

The BP is so simple, modular and best of all, it drys within a few hours. Unlike the BCDs, the BP is so easy too clean

If I have to buy another BCD, it would BP/wings again.

Regarding the "crotch" strap, I didn't even noticed it was there.

The Halycon is expensive but not much more than the average priced back-inflated BCDs.

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok, I just tried the Halcyon... I love it... but the whole rig is kinda pricey!!! :p I might have to delay my purchase for a month and save up a little more... the whole thing is gonna cost me US$640

Wow... That's really pricey. Extreme Exposure sells a Halcyon rig for $505, complete (but without your MC pack or pocket). That's with the more expensive Halcyon SS plate, too.

That's with the 27, AL BP, MC storage, and crotch strap. No BC pocket yet. :wacko:

Buy it from Extreme Exposure at http://www.extreme-exposure.com... Or at least have your dealer match their price. The above rig should cost $505 complete, without the MC storage pack. It comes with the soft crotchstrap.

But I do like it... it's the new 2003 line up with the Halcyon "H" printed in blue throughout the webbing. :)

Wait'll you dive it... You're gonna love it...

By the way... About the backplate...

I understood that you're diving with an aluminum tank, right? 3 mil wetsuit? And in fresh water you only need 4 pounds to dive with? Do I have that right? Are you sure you aren't diving a steel tank? You're right in that there's a huge difference...

No. I dive with: A steel 80cu tank, 2.5mm tri-lam (neutral buoyancy at all depths), and 4lbs on a weightbelt with crappy jacket rental in salt water. I've never done a fresh water dive though.

I'm thinking I'd be fine with the AL BP and not the SS as the dealer recommended... are there any issues with corrossion on the AL plate? I'm wondering why AL would need a "Mil spec" hard coat to protect it from corrosion... AFAIK, AL doesn't rust...period.

I switched from a BC to a Halcyon AL BP and the 18# bat wing for tropical diving. With a AL80 and polartec, I dropped from 10-12# on the weight belt to 4# on the belt in salt water. You should still be negative if you only need 4# now. The trim is perfect. By the way, I ditched the crotch strap for tropical diving and never noticed the difference. I put the weights on the BP waist strap with X-Scuba pockets to make it ditchable. The AL BP is really nice for travel.

Seajay,

Buy it from Extreme Exposure at http://www.extreme-exposure.com... Or at least have your dealer match their price. The above rig should cost $505 complete, without the MC storage pack. It comes with the soft crotchstrap.

Just to clarify:
I thought the Pioneer MC system(SS or AL plate) comes with the MC Storage pack (just ithat is it empty) as standard for the 505.00 price?

jplacson

How buoyant is an empty (500psi) steel tank? How about an AL tank at 500psi?

For steel tank, I am not sure, but for AL, it is 1lb for every 500psi, I would assume it would be the same for the Steel tank.

jplacson once bubbled...
No. I dive with: A steel 80cu tank, 2.5mm tri-lam (neutral buoyancy at all depths), and 4lbs on a weightbelt with crappy jacket rental in salt water. I've never done a fresh water dive though.

Ah, okay... That explains a lot.

With that steel tank, you're right... You're probably going to want an AL plate. SS plates are better used for AL tanks, which are generally very buoyant at the end of the dive.

If your steel tank gets any bigger (like a steel 120 or 104 or 95 or whatever) then you might want to consider the 36 pound wing instead. If you're staying with the 80, the 27 should be fine assuming you use that AL plate.

are there any issues with corrossion on the AL plate? I'm wondering why AL would need a "Mil spec" hard coat to protect it from corrosion... AFAIK, AL doesn't rust...period.

No, but in salt water, AL will corrode. It makes a white, powdery substance. With the quality of the bp you're looking at, I wouldn't say it's even an issue. Now, if you had an AL component hanging off of your boat in salt water on a permanent basis, there might be some concern...

Melong, I understand that for $505, the MC pack is not included. Your comment makes me not so sure now. I'd give 'em a call and check on that.

FYI, you guys... I have a link to tank weight specifications on my website. Go to http://www.lcscuba.com and click on "Talk" then "Equipment." You'll find the specifications in there.

Most people who dive with an AL tank are diving a Luxfer S080, which is 4 lbs buoyant at the end of the dive. Most other tanks don't have this characteristic, which is why YOU want an AL plate, but many others need a SS one.

Hmm.. now you have me thinking... If I dove an AL tank in the future... would it be easy to offset the buoyancy with just trim weights?

I'm guessing so since Halcyon's trim pockets can hold up to 5lbs per side pocket... so I'm guessing I'll be needing something like 6-8lbs total to offset the +4 buoyancy on an empty AL tank...am I doing it right?

Is the SS plate more durable against corrossion? Or are they both just the same? I read a maintenace tip to dunk a semi corroded SS plate in Coca-Cola to eat away the rust... would the same work for AL?

My thinking is that I'd be more flexible with an AL plate and additional trim weights, than be stuck with the SS plate, and now way to reduce my weights as needed.

Thanks to everyone who's giving their 2 cents worth!!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom