cheap halcyon gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-hh once bubbled...

The wing nuts are a wear item, as well as an opportunity for an assembly mistake to be made (a failure in the making). From a Hogarthian philisophical approach, if something can be eliminated as a potential failure point, it should be.

C'mon.... wing nuts are a wear item and an opportunity to make a mistake?

I'd like to meet the man that could wear out a wing nut, or assemble it wrong.

Pragmatically, the sole purpose of the BP/Wings' modularity is to save the diver money (by not having 2 BC's), which is not the same as striving to eliminate potential failure points. As such, its basic design violates fundimental Hogarthian principles.

More likely failure points are the plastic buckles and dangling straps associated with adjustable harnesses.

Errors can be made in even easy procedures, and opportunities for errors is "any and all" measurement. This means that disassembly for maintenance or drying counts. So too also does removing the tanks to fill them.

For every opportunity, we can either accept it, or look to eliminate them. There will never be zero of them, but in the case of a modular BP/Wing/STA assembly, we've generally chosen to accept more error opportunities than what can exist from known alternatives.

Why? Well, since we inevitably see dollar signs in conversations like this, its safe to say that divers are willing to accept the risk to save money. We simply need to recognize that this individual choice doesn't change what is or isn't an Objective Risk.

Very true. But lets not go overboard with the 'Safety is Paramount' argument. While we all agree that safety is important, risk managment must be sensible. Most people don't wear helmets in case they fall down, or kevlar vests in case some nut goes on a rampage, or even put seatbelts on their toilets. It could be argued that they are just cheap.... but I don't think so.

EDIT: Also note that the amount of time it takes to do something is not a direct factor when it comes to the metric of "Opportunity for Mistake". It is an indirect factor in that tasks that take longer are generally more complex, and each step typically is an error opportunity.

The reason why is because doing so can eliminate error/failure points.

Consider flipping the question: is it worth $150 to you to eliminate a a "dive ending" failure point?
Is it worth an extra $100 if it improves the equipment's repair interval by 75%? By 100%?

Absolutely! What you are talking about is the price of an extra BP/harness. As I said before, I've seen multiple posts where people describe their gear and refer to several backplate/wing assemblies. I've also seen several where divers have gone to exclusively diving doubles and only sell their singles wing. In those cases, a completely redundant system is unnessessary.

(BTW, please look at these questions as generalized examples of the underlying principle, and not specifics).

IMO, it is all too easy to allow the cost of doing something the right way to adversely influence our risk acceptances.

And IMO, it is often quite ironic to see loud claims about the "EVILS" of Quick Disconnects as potential failure points when the same people unthinkingly accept STA wing nuts.

I've never seen a broken wing nut -- I've seen broken buckles.

If you're really bent about the wing nuts, assemble your rig with Nylocks. Since you'll be one of the people only building your rig once, it shouldn't be too much problem to DIWW (do it with wrenches) and eliminate the failure point indefinitely. When it comes to building a rig for doubles, do the same thing.

Since the average diver only dives for ~5 years, that's the benchmark for how long a product is expected to reliably last, and from which LDS claims are going to be based.

My last BC lasted for over a decade...which is functionally two full "average diver lifetimes"...before I replaced it. I consider that to be good enough lifecycle performance.

Considering that $300-350 for a replacement wing is 50%-66% of the prices of those allegedly horribly overpriced BC's, I'd not exactly agree that a wing is a "relatively cheap" consumable replacement item. Perhaps its because I've never seen these fabled $1000 BC's...can you please cite some examples?

YMMV, but I'd just rather just spend another $100-$150 and get a completely new rig, as likely the better overall value. Particularly since when you get "Nickled and Dimed" on little widgets (a set of spare SS wingnuts anyone?), it often ends up costing you more in the long run.

Again, that $100-$150 could buy you another plate and harness and you could assemble just what you want.

In the long run, as long as you can competently tighten 2 bolts, the modularity is just a side benefit to having a rig that is streamlined, comfortable, and efficient.

Perhaps PADI should offer a Wing Nut specialty course??? Wadda ya think? Anyone? Anyone?

"Wing Nut Specialty Course." LOL!!!

-hh: Shhhhhh... Someone might believe you. :)

Wanna know what REAL divers really want from a BC? Well...

1. They want it to never fail.
2. They want it to not cost them a fortune ($505 for "top of the line" is a fantastic deal... You want a $1000 BC? Check the Mares HUB system and the Seaquest Pro QD Limited).
3. The rest of the information can be found here: http://www.bftwave.net/lcscuba/homebc.html

...Now, if you're really interested in arguing these points, I would suggest getting certified and going diving. Check it out for yourself before spouting off this junk.

...And before you go and try to blow smoke and tell me about the tens of thousands of dives you've had... Or the decades of diving you've done (as you've implied), let me just tell you this... I see B.S. from a million miles away, and won't hesitate to call you on it.

Nobody knows a diver - or, in your case, not - like another diver.

Ok, on the topic of failure & safety on BC designs:

Are quick release buckles that unsafe? OMS has them on their BP model... as well as angled D-ring straps (not one-piece like Halcyon's) I mean, have there really been issues of quick release failures?

Another thing, the crotch strap... it is annoying but I haven't used a BC that hasn't rode up on me.. no matter how good the fit... I do think that leg straps (2 straps diagonally) would be more comfortable though rather than a single strap down the middle.

I'm still on the market for a BP rig... and so far I'm leaning towards the OMS IQ pack or BP.

jplacson once bubbled...
Ok, on the topic of failure & safety on BC designs:

Are quick release buckles that unsafe? OMS has them on their BP model... as well as angled D-ring straps (not one-piece like Halcyon's) I mean, have there really been issues of quick release failures?

I haven't personally seen any "fail," as in, "During the dive, the quick release failed and I lost my life support." Instead, what I've seen is the errant tank placed on top of a buckle unknowingly (while topside), and... "Crack"... Your dive is over. I've seen more than one person who's tied their straps together and dived anyway because a plastic quick release or other plastic buckle that broke.

I understand that many guys diving colder water see this more often than we do in tropical waters... And I've seen it enough to keep me from buying them.

Another thing, the crotch strap... it is annoying but I haven't used a BC that hasn't rode up on me.. no matter how good the fit... I do think that leg straps (2 straps diagonally) would be more comfortable though rather than a single strap down the middle.

I had exactly the same thought process. However, since purchasing my "super-soft" Halcyon crotchstap ($30! For a strap!) I can honestly report that I can't tell it's there at all... Except that my rig stays where it's supposed to. It makes for an awesome "seat" while floating at the surface, too. Highly recommended.

I'm still on the market for a BP rig... and so far I'm leaning towards the OMS IQ pack or BP.

I believe that ScoobieDoo has an IQ Pak. Perhaps he'll speak up about it.

Personally, I have never found the need for the features that the IQ Pak offers... And plain webbing is so easily and cheaply replaced. This is not true with the IQ Pak. But perhaps Scoob has found a need for all of those IQ Pak features... Scoob?

SeaJay once bubbled...

I had exactly the same thought process. However, since purchasing my "super-soft" Halcyon crotchstap ($30! For a strap!) I can honestly report that I can't tell it's there at all... Except that my rig stays where it's supposed to. It makes for an awesome "seat" while floating at the surface, too. Highly recommended.

Ok... but doesn't the webbing edge rub against the inner thigh area of your wetsuit while finning? Doesn't this tear your suit?

But no, it doesn't... Not at all. The Halcyon crotchstrap is made of this super-soft poly material...

And no, it's not wearing on my wetsuit.

Here's the killer... I'm a big guy, with big thighs. If it were to chafe on anyone, it would chafe on me...

Thanks for all your help! :) The crotch strap looked like stiff 2" webbing on their site. Looks like I'm leaning back to Halcyon all the way... apparently they have shoulder pads as well (which aren't listed on their site) so I'd really have no need for the IQ pack.

Hey, no problem. If you live in the Southeast, then you're welcome to check out my rig...

Also, Extreme Exposure has this thirty-day no-hassle return policy thing... Ask them about it. If you order gear and don't like it, it's no problem at all.

They even rent bp/wings there. They're great about it, too, 'cause they know that nine times out of ten it results in a sale. :D

Truthfully, I've seen people wear "standard" 2" webbing as a crotchstrap... Apparently, it doesn't bother some people... But I don't know how they stand it. I just couldn't do that.

For me, the "rediculous" $35 crotch strap was worth every penny.

By the way, you do know that the bp/wing can be worn without a crotch strap at all, don't you? I mean, I prefer one, but going without is no worse than diving a "regular" BC with no crotchstrap...

Ya, but all BCs I've tried always ride up on me! I have to keep yanking them down and adjusting the waist band underwater. It's annoying.

I'll be off to my local Halcyon dealer today to check out the Pioneer 27 :)

So far, I'm looking at the AL BP, 27 wings, MC Storage Pack, Big Alert balloon, and the waist BC pocket... and hopefully, they also have the shoulder pads.

I only dive a 2.5 tri-lam (a lot thinner than a 2/3 neoprene) so the shoulder pads should make it feel better.

...Sounds like you're gonna have a pretty slick rig there... Bulletproof, balanced, streamlined, and totally transparent underwater.

Wait'll you get your first, "Hey, where's your BC?" Or, "Man, that's GOT to be uncomfortable." (As they press their inflator button and blow up like the Michelin Man.) :D

The "real" right way to do it is to have pockets on your suit, but I'm like you... I love my Halcyon BC pocket, and I've found it makes for a great substitute for a can light if you haven't purchased one yet. It works great for keeping the long hose out of the slipstream.

I love my storage pack, too... You'll like it, I'm sure.

I can't wait to hear your reaction to diving it the first time... :D

It'd be interesting to hear your comparison of diving the rig with pads and then without...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom