Changing Parameters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

litlhouse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Have been working diligently on DM Cert for 9 months now. Passed all tests 4 months ago. Instructor seems to have requirements for certification that go way beyond PADI requirements. Examples...Need twenty certification outdives with students, need to work start to finish for three complete open water certification classes. Getting frustrated with the list of parameters and sometimes feel he is using program to get "free" labor. Any suggestions?:banghead:

You could ask him for the standards for the course and ask him what you are lacking in to meet those standards specifically, and if that's why you haven't finished your internship. Have you actually asked him? If he won't give you them, call your training agency.

Bottom line communication. Just ask specifically what you posted.

That is way beyond PADI requirements. I'm not sure if you've completed all the PADI requirements since you don't list them all. So he may be holding out on 1 or 2 to keep from having to submit your paperwork. However, I don't think PADI would be too pleased with the standards you have listed that he is holding you to. You may want to give them a call.

Your instructor or dive centre can put additional requirements on your dive master course beyond the minimum required.

He/they may feel that these are the usual minimum requirements to actually REACH and accomplish the minimum standards set by the agency, but those need to be outlined before you sign up for the course.

The extras should never be sprung on you after you have committed, that's just tacky and wrong.

As has already been said, talk to your instructor/dive shop, find out all the things that should have been done in a dive master training briefing right at the start of your course!

That might seem like alot extra. I was not required to do as many OW classes as I did. But I did atleast 1/2 dozen from start to finish and many more part just to help out cause other DM were busy. But then again I like being in the water so it doesn't matter to me to me if I had to do one or 50.

But like others have said I would get with the instructor and tell them that you are wanting to set a goal to finish in the near future so you would like to work out a list of what you need to finish.

I realize wanting to get done and get the card but why don't you want the experience? It sounds like your instructor wants you to be a good DM, someone with real experience that they can count on when you help them with classes.
Ber :lilbunny:

The experience is not the thing...it's a matter of time. I am in the water minimum of 4 dives per weekend. Some with classes and some without. I have made every class possible which is an average of two per week most weeks. Hitting twenty OW cert dives means 5 weekends just doing those and foregoing other dives and other responsibilities. If that is not required...then why? I will be meeting with instructor next week.

Did you have a complete list of requirements before you started? (It's not directly relevant, but the NAUI way is that the instructor can add whatever they see fit, but they have to have it specified before you begin.) If you didn't, well, it's a lesson to learn. Ask for a complete, written list of requirements now (so you can plan accordingly).

Whether or not it was "right", according to your agency or yourself, to have additional requirements, the simple fact is that without adequate documentation, you've painted yourself into a corner. Trying to reduce the requirements from whatever their current status may be is likely to only make you look "lazy" (which isn't the case at all, but that's how the cookie crumbles). On the other hand, no reasonable instructor would have a problem with you asking for specific written documentation, as that shows initiative and a desire to follow through to completion.

*Don't* be adversarial when requesting written documentation of his requirements, of course. This is the time to use the diplomacy skills that you should have been honing as part of leadership training. Tell him that you want to know where you are, and you want to be able to see where you're going and what you have in front of you. If he doesn't have something written, give him a few days, but do it specifically (eg. "That's okay. I don't need it tonight. I can drop by Tuesday after work and get it from you then, if that'd help.").

*Most* importantly, brand this situation in your head so you will remember it forever. When you lead trips or if you eventually become an instructor, remember how much you enjoyed having an ill-defined, ever-changing target frustrating you, and don't do the same thing to those who follow you.

Where are you doing these dives? Are you only doing two checkouts a day? I've done as many as 8 as a DM. Why can't you do more of your own diving. Those requirements may be beyond PADI requirements but they do not seem unreasonable at all. Our DM candidates do at least what you are saying and more. It is not unusual for them to assist with 20-30 students over the course and not only attend but prepare and give 7 lectures to students. This is YMCA and NAUI DM training now, so I realize it's alot different but still, your instructors standards would not even make the minimums at our shop. What he is doing may be getting some slave labor out of you. Unfortunately that's what alot of places do to their DM's. And the agency does nothing to discourage it. In fact if you complain he's liable to just not give you the card. You paid for training not the card. The card is a perk of completing training. I am a PADI DM. I switched to YMCA and NAUI after that. PADI was easy. My DM crossover was alot harder than the initial course. My YMCA instructor course and exams were the hardest things I've ever done but the most rewarding. Suck it up and finish the course. You'll be better for it with the experience you'll be getting. Or quit.

You've got PADI standards at your disposal for this. As suggested, I would talk with your instructor, ask him to show you the standards as well as the checklist that needs to be filled out and see where you are on the checklist. If you've done everything and been checked off for it and he's signed off then I would ask him why things "seemed" to be moving slower than you expect. Make sure everything is clear and you both are in agreement of what needs to be completed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom