CF200 vs. FLX50/50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I"m looking at both of these dry suits, and favoring the 50/50, for the added flex and movement in the upper torso. I've discounted the 450; to stiff and heavy for me.

Of course, I'm making these comments never having worn a dry suit before, but, based soley on statements made in this board, and talking with lots of folks.

I'm not exactly a rack fit, so anything will be a custom. DUI even told me that a Dog Days demo wouldn't be a good match for my rather short and stockey ( ah, that's a nice way to put it! ) build.

So, any comments on the pros and cons of each of these?

It's got the 4 way stretch naturally because of the neoprene. More forgiving if you need the stretch.

Mine should be in soon any day I'll let you know then.

hi rickyd,

Mine should be in soon!! I ordered a Clx 50/50

The top half is the Clx450, the bottom half is the Cf200

I figure the bottom is tough, and maybe a little warmer, the top has more flexibility for doing valve drills, is lighter, but is still tough for wreck diving.

Stock sizes didn't fit me either, but I figure the custom fit is well worth the $$

I dive a CF 300- no longer available (thinner and tougher than the CF 200, but essentially the same thing), and my fiance dives a Flex 50/50.

Either suit will make you very happy. To me the biggest difference is the crushed neo takes longer to dry, and is perhaps the better choice if you're around wrecks. The Flex 50/50 upper body material seems to be very strong too.

As far as insulation value one over the other- nope- they both provide next to nothing in the way of warmth- ya gotta have something in the way of an undergarment.

My opinion is the suit is the cheapest thing out there. Take the cost of the suit and divide it by the number of dives over it's life- and it's the cheapest suit made. THEY LAST!

I have hundreds of dives on mine (it's no longer black! more like a puppy dog poop brown from so much daylight exposure) and it's still going strong- I suspect I'll have my suit another 10 yrs.

shep

I use a CF200 for open water diving, and it is a dream. Extremely flexible, streamlined and warm. I was diving last night at a wreck off the coast of Helsinki, the water temp was 4 and not a single bit of cold issues. Anythinng from DUI will be good, but try them on, dive each of them and choose the one that works best for you.

I also can recommend the CF200 - I found that it was much easier to do weird moves like valve shutdowns since it slid more easily over insulation layers. Some of the trilaminates are kinda sticky on the interior- a minor point but I found it really increased comfort.
has anyone found a difference in the repairability of the CF200 vs trilam- especially in the field?

I agree with the previous posts on this thread, the CF200 is very tough and with the expandple toso is is very flexible as well. I have dove in Vikings, Harvys and countless other dry suits. Without a doupt the CF200 beats them all hands down. Like other shell suits an undergarment is defintly required for cold water diving. I'm also a big fan of the rock boots. Again very comfortable very durable. Repair, a little aqua seal and bang.

Thanks folks. I ordered the CF200 signature. Sounds like I can't go wrong. I decided to go with the turbo soles.

Also ordered a set of undies from Janice at Softwear. The undies will be here in a day or two, but I still have to wait about 5 weeks :( for DUI. Ahh, something to look forward to August...

Good choice, you won't regret it. I love my CF200.

One tip: get the Kevlar kneepads. The material is strong, but oysters and zebra mussels still win the contest :(

Steven

I ordered the CF200 Knee Pads instead of the Kevlar because I heard they are tougher and longer lasting. Is that really the case?

Another thing is that you guys mention in your repairs of the suit, you use Aquaseal, do you guys also use a repair patch first and then sandwich the aquaseal in the middle, or do you just hold it together put the aquaseal and that's it?

Thanks.:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom