CF200 vs. FLX50/50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked to DUI about just this. According to them, both knee pads are very similar and equally tough. The real difference, per DUI, is that the kevlar pads are a little less slippery, so, may help if kneeling on a rock to take a picture, but, other than that, pretty much the same. I went for the CF200.

This is a common misconception of the 50/50.

The bottom IS the CF20. The top is polyester over butyl liner. The difference is in the stretch and flexibility. The 450 is that tough-as-nails pack cloth cordura. As in zero stretch.

The top of the 50/50 is polyester... striking a balance between the heft of the 450, and the light weight TLS350 - but delivering a bit of stretch and flexibility neither can offer.

Downside to the 50/50 (as an owner, I can speak to it): There is a stiffiner around the base of the "top" - for those of you who sew, its like adding a 1" strip of boning around the base of the bottice (someone kill me now...)

Translation for the guys: Where the hem of your T-shirt is, imagine adding a 1" strip of plastic around that.

The 350 doesn't have it (not sure of the CF200 does) - and its the only thing I don't like about my suit. It prevents it from laying as flat as it could against my hips. Think hoop skirt, but only just a little.

K

My buddy and I just ordered CLX-450 signature suits and can't wait for the heavy, tough as nails material. We just decided that this material is the best for the type of diving that we do most. Just a side note. Along with the kevlar knee pads, we also requested the kevlar rear end "butt" panel. This option does cost extra but if you think about it, anytime you sit down, you're causing potential wear and tear to the rear end. Can't hurt to have the extra protection.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
50/50 is NOT a 450 and CF200 blend...
Not quite. There are two 50/50 suits.
One is the FLX50/50 as you described, the top is trilam (polyester/butyl/polyester), the bottom is CF200 (crushed neoprene).
The other 50/50 is the CLX50/50. It is an option available on CLX450 Special Production or Signature Series suits. The top half is the CLX450 (cordura/butyl/polyester), the bottom half as on the other suit made out of CF200 material.

Mo2- My CF200 doesn't have any type of reinforcement strip or anything like that. The only parts that are not CF200 material is the zipper, the feet and the seals. the entire rest of the suit is CF200.

I've got hundred of dives on it and the only things I would change from the way I ordered it would be adding the butt pad, a bellows thigh pocket and a latex neck seal (both neck and wrist are neoprene)

The wrist seals are great and seal as good as latex with out the worrys about punctures but the neck seal is just too bulky. The thigh pocket was an over sight when I ordered the suit, but will be added when the neck gets changed (soon).

I had to get a full custom suit as a standard suit was not going to work. I'm 6'2" tall with a 31" inseam= all body, no legs. chop off my legs and I'm still 5'8"....

The suit has enough stretch that over 8 years the suit has always fit like a glove, even when I went up and down a few pounds. never leaked, never punctured, just keep the zipper well waxed and you'll never have a problem.

As for the color bleaching, I've used mine in salt and fresh water but mostly salt, never had it in a pool, and while its not as black as the day I got it, it hasn't gotten to the poop brown color some other guys suits have become. I also don't leave it sitting in the sun on the deck to dry after a dive so that may have something to do with it.

But over all, I'd buy another CF200 custom tommorow if something happened to mine...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom