Certify in two days, third day to Epcot DiveQuest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhap4boy

New
Reaction score
We have been doing home/self study NAUI book/video/audio/workbook for two weeks and plan to do two days training/open water dive to get certified and head to Epcot DiveQuest on the third day for vacation this weekend.

The only reason we are doing this is just to see DiveQuest. We probably not going to dive anywhere else.

Is this possible or too much?

I personally think diving in a controlled environment is relatively safe... if... your are in acceptable physical shape. (can swim 5 laps non-stop, tread water for 30min, etc...)

Where will you do the open water portion? Do you live in a warm climate?

I would not suggest anyone head out into open water with 2 days of training however, a guided pool dive should be no problem. Have a look at the accidents/incidents threads. Its usually people who don't realize they are in over their head, physically or mentally. It is critical to understand how little one can learn about diving from one book/instructor/course and understand exactly for what that prepares someone.

edit: I read this - http://www.wd4r.com/divequest-index.htm

Sounds like fun :) I'll be there next time I find myself in Florida.

Well the open water dives alone require 2 days by every definition that I've seen. If the confined water is crammed into the beginning of day 1 then there is no room for adaptation if something does not come easy. Is "we" you or is it like you and a significant other? What kind of watermanship do you bring to class? swimmers? snorkelers? nada?

I would also expect to be profoundly exhausted by the whole process if you are in fact put through the requisite training, drills and dives.

As for surviving Dive Quest you will probably be fine but the exhibit may take a beating. It's highly unlikely that you will be diving with any finesse.

By training in such an accelerated manner you will almost certainly be ill equipped to dive independently in open water should you decide to further your diving. Unless there are extenuating reasons to rush into this I'd slow down and do it right.

Pete

Last edited:
We have been doing home/self study NAUI book/video/audio/workbook for two weeks and plan to do two days training/open water dive to get certified and head to Epcot DiveQuest on the third day for vacation this weekend.

The only reason we are doing this is just to see DiveQuest. We probably not going to dive anywhere else.

Is this possible or too much?

Let us know how the "probably not going to dive anywhere else" part of this goes - diving is very addictive.

"The only reason we are doing this is just to see DiveQuest. We probably not going to dive anywhere else."

The aquarium in Atlanta has opened up for divers, so now there's a chance to do an aquarium dive with a whale shark.

As cool as the Epcot dive is (we did it last month), I would not short change the certification process for it. Its hard to imagine that you will never travel to a place that you might want to dive in.

I cant believe they let unskilled divers in the exibit.Some may be able to get it together that quick but not all.Wont you be diving while onlookers watch through the glass?I can just see someone with bad trim and buancy kicking up plants and knocking things over.Maybe its not like that I hope not.

My OW was done in 3 full days including Theory and practicals, I know I slept very well!

But, if I could go back and make the decision to learn to dive again, I would choose a longer course time, purely because although I technically met the skill level required, realisitically,I know now that I wasn't ready. (the dive shop do extend the course if people struggle/don't meet the required grade)

By that, I mean I knew the theory (I am a sponge where I enjoy the subject), and technically in controlled drills I could do the skills, but I hadn't had time to get comfortable with being underwater. I should have told them that, but I figured if I was meeting the skills......

I don't know what would have happened if I had been put into a "oh *****" situation at that point. Luckily for me and those I was diving with, that only occured after 100 + dives and further training with a different instructor who went over the basics again.

Long ramble (I'm good at that), and now to the point.

If like the rest of us here, you become addicted, you are probably going to wish that 2 days was longer. If that's the case, then after the Epcot dive, don't just think "I have my ticket" I'll go diving, go find an instructor/experienced buddy and do all those drills again and again until you can do them comfortably and not "just enough to pass" - you'll be glad you did.

IS it possible to do a full entry level course with any agency in 2 days ?!

All i can think of are the scuba diver type things which are more glorified try divers than real certifications.

It seems a little odd to invest that much time and money purely for a 1 x 40 minute dive in a fish tank.

All this will happen in Orlando Florida. "We" 6 people all cousins age range from 18 to 22, 34, 36 are all swimmers.
The first dive day will be a long day. The instructor did say that a third day may be required if we don't learn it well. Written exam after dive. He knows that we are going to DiveQuest. I believe there will be 4-5 dives total. First day all happens in local springs and lake around Orlando. Second day could be anywhere.

Since I already paid for it, any good suggestion what I can do to make the most out of it? I guess we won't know until we start the water training. Safety is still the number one concern. Epcot DiveQuest is relative safe?

Divequest is about as safe and controlled environment as its possible to find.

Its shallow, its warm, it has no currents, it has lots of safety staff.

What agency and what course are you doing to complete in 2 days?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom