Certifications from different orgs (PADI, NAUI)= better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also out of curiousity does getting a certification entitle you to magaizine or membership is a seperate aerna from certification?

Well, I would not mind working with instructors from either organization as long as we get along. Remember, it is the instructor that you must learn from and count on getting the training required to become a safe, life-long diver. You can check to see what either organization offers, but there are personality factors that need to be assessed as well. I believe it is your foundation that you build upon so get the training from an instructor you like. Talk to them before signing up for the class.

joeaguylian:
I do realize lower level Padi certs have had issues (quality stds) vs Naui, but overall Padi is more accepted.
In reality, the issues of quality standards are primarily the perceptions of those who would like to see higher entry level standards across all agencies. Lower level PADI certifications do not have unique issues compared to NAUI or SSI. But, PADI comes up quite frequently because, so many people certify through PADI. That is a continuing debate, thoroughly (perhaps exhaustingly) addressed in other threads. A certification from any major agency (PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, CMAS, etc.) will be equally 'accepted'.
joeaguylian:
also out of curiousity does getting a certification entitle you to magaizine or membership is a seperate aerna from certification?
With PADI, the membership and Sport Diver subscription are separate.

Thank you for clearing up my misconception. I thought it might make a difference if I did PADI/NAUI Advanced or some combination. I still may do that or just stick with one org

My friend basically said if I go to Carribean, people make fun of PADI since alot of places give it very easily and I should only go with NAUI. However I was thinking certifications from 2 org could only help learn more

I like the idea of doing different classes with different instructors while you are still pretty much at a beginning level. I could see when you get into more advanced diving why you might want to find an instructor you really mesh with and stick with them, but starting out, why not sample the different flavors out there. Every person you work with has a slightly different style, and different way of doing things, which can be an education in itself. I've picked up a bunch of little tips or ways of doing things that I've incorporated into my own diving from each of the different instructors I've taken classes with. To look at it another way, a person can only teach you what they know, and I want to know as much as I can, so the more people with different knowledge I'm exposed to, the broader base of knowledge I'm drawing from.

This is why even as an Instuctor I still try to take at least 1 class a year from someone else. I make no bones about it, I'm lookin to steal ideas I can use to make my classes better.
caroln:
I like the idea of doing different classes with different instructors while you are still pretty much at a beginning level. I could see when you get into more advanced diving why you might want to find an instructor you really mesh with and stick with them, but starting out, why not sample the different flavors out there. Every person you work with has a slightly different style, and different way of doing things, which can be an education in itself. I've picked up a bunch of little tips or ways of doing things that I've incorporated into my own diving from each of the different instructors I've taken classes with. To look at it another way, a person can only teach you what they know, and I want to know as much as I can, so the more people with different knowledge I'm exposed to, the broader base of knowledge I'm drawing from.

My friend was basically saying if I went for Padi I wouldnt be as respected as NAUI hence why I though about doing Padi & Naui or Naui 100%..

I do realize it's the instructor, but lets say you have a choise of a Community College or a high level university. You can have a great instructor at the CC and a horrible one at the university. Obviously you want the better teacher but I was thinking you could always go to the university and find a good teacher and have the best of both worlds... Just basically nervous Padi isnt a high level cert.

TheRedHead:
All the major certs are "accepted." :huh:

This is true. However some agencies are more recgonizable than others.

For instance: (BTW I know this is slightly off topic)

I have my OW and AOW thru IDEA.

While diving in the keys a few years back, the dive master made the comment that he had not heard of that agency and asked to see my dive log along with asking questions about my instructors. I had my log with me so it wasn't a big deal. And I didn't make much of it since I felt like he was trying to be safe, and his attitude wasn't harrassing.

All that being said, I agree that is really all about the instructor. I couldn't care less about the particular certifing agency. There are good and bad divers from all of them in my opinion.

Oscar

joeaguylian:

Actually Dive Training offer free 6 month subscription to new divers.

http://www.dtmag.com/SEARCH/freesub.html

pir8:
This is why even as an Instuctor I still try to take at least 1 class a year from someone else. I make no bones about it, I'm lookin to steal ideas I can use to make my classes better.

Ah yes, forgot to mention that I stole..err adapted this idea from you!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom