Certifications from different orgs (PADI, NAUI)= better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeaguylian:
My friend was basically saying if I went for Padi I wouldnt be as respected as NAUI hence why I though about doing Padi & Naui or Naui 100%..

I do realize it's the instructor, but lets say you have a choise of a Community College or a high level university. You can have a great instructor at the CC and a horrible one at the university. Obviously you want the better teacher but I was thinking you could always go to the university and find a good teacher and have the best of both worlds... Just basically nervous Padi isnt a high level cert.

I was certified with PADI in Mexico a couple of years ago. I did my OW cert with SSI. Since that time, I've done my AOW and Intro to Tech with NAUI. My personal preference is NAUI, however, I'm considering taking the TDI adv nitrox/basic deco class. My NAUI preference is mainly because of the instructor. The guys I know are no nonsense guys and if you take their class, you will learn and you will earn it.

People get way to hung up on the certification. The certificate just shows you did some training. The only relevance is the training you attended, and therefore the INSTRUCTOR is the important thing not the organization.

Yes, PADI is better because you can a pepper mint candy. While NAUI, you get a nod on the head that you did a good job and SSI you can a bowl of soup but if you go with YMCA, you get a Yo-yo. :)

joeaguylian:
My friend was basically saying if I went for Padi I wouldnt be as respected as NAUI hence why I though about doing Padi & Naui or Naui 100%...
Just out of curiosity, 'respected' by whom? I do a reasonable amount of diving - VA, NC, FL, Caribbean and the Gulf. I have never had the experience of feeling that somehow my PADI certifications were considered less respectable than those of a dive buddy with a NAUI certification. In some cases, I actually felt they were more respected. I also do not rate a diver by the agency he/she certified through even if I know it. BUT, I will observe them on the shore/boat - how they assemble their gear, how they do their pre-dive checks, whether they pay attention to the briefing given by the mate after the boat ties in, etc. - and in the water - their bouyancy control, their gear streamlining, they finning technique, etc. - and my respect for them as a diver may be influenced by those observations.

I just don't see a big difference at the OW level. Most newbs have a long way to go. I certainly did. It is not reasonable to expect them to have outstanding bouyancy control, minimalist gear configurations, incredible insight about how to handle problems, etc. Having said that, I do see something of a difference within agencies, across different shops and instructors, though. Also, out of curiosity, which agency(s) is your friend certified through?

joeaguylian:
I do realize it's the instructor, but lets say you have a choise of a Community College or a high level university. You can have a great instructor at the CC and a horrible one at the university. Obviously you want the better teacher but I was thinking you could always go to the university and find a good teacher and have the best of both worlds.
VERY good point. But, I suspect the 'CC vs university' analogy may not be the optimal one for the PADI/NAUI/SSI/CMAS/IDEA relationship. What several of the respondents are trying to say is that at the entry (OW) level, most certifications, and agencies, are more similar than dissimilar. Therefore, finding an instructor with whom you are comfortable is possibly more beneficial than worrying about which agency through which you do the certification.
joeaguylian:
Just basically nervous Padi isnt a high level cert.
I am not sure that you will find general agreement that 'PADI isnt a high level cert'. I have seen some very advanced divers certified through NAUI, through PADI, through SSI, that I wouldn't dive with if you paid me, and some others certified through each that I love to dive with. Get your basic OW training through any of the agencies, continue diving, continue training, and I suspect you will find that each agency offers something of value.

No matter WHAT agency, no matter WHAT college, YOU buy the books, YOU study the books, YOU learn the material, Instructor be danged. YOU take the responsibility for being a bad diver. YOU take the responsibility for not knowing how to assemble your gear. Recover your Reg, clear your mask etc etc. YOU are to blame if you don't know this stuff. The Instructor is there to test you with paper and Practical Application.

Don't believe me? Turn to page 57 in PADI OWD book and start reading again, or for the first time if you have never seen it.

<< My friend basically said if I go to Carribean, people make fun of PADI since alot of places give it very easily and I should only go with NAUI. However I was thinking certifications from 2 org could only help learn more >>

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speak for the Caribbean: we don't care WHAT agency you got your cert from (and are only very mildly interested in your cert level). What matters is how you dive, which can only be judged by seeing you underwater.

All Agenccies must adhere to minimum RSTC Guidlines (Recreational Scuba Training Council). The intructor and the LDS (Local Dive Shop) are where the big differences are. I'm not aware of any that give you discounts for doing all of your training with only one agency.

I personally prefer PADI due to the amount/qualityof training materials available, and the way that they are presented. But I won't say anything bad about the others.

The important thing is to keep diving and get better at it. Find a good instructor and the "bottom's the limit".

'nuff said?

Cheers and Safe Diving,

Rich

RoyN:
Yes, PADI is better because you can a pepper mint candy. While NAUI, you get a nod on the head that you did a good job and SSI you can a bowl of soup but if you go with YMCA, you get a Yo-yo. :)
Good grief..... I wish I'd known that! :11:

rdbean:
All Agenccies must adhere to minimum RSTC Guidlines (Recreational Scuba Training Council).
Not all agencies are members of the RSTC. NAUI for starters.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom