Certification Agency Cross Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Bay Minnow

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have gotten my Open Water and Advanced Open Water through one certification agency. I would like to take some specialties that other dive shops are offering. I am YMCA but I see that a couple of classes I would like to take are being taught at a variety of dive shops using a variety of certs PADI/SSI/NAUI. Availability and my schedule is the issue.

With all of the certifications agencies out there, is it possible to jump around to get the training that I want from a variety of agencies?:confused:

Jeff

Yes, if you feel you would like the training.
I am a multi-certified instructor and do multi-certifications and crossovers.
One must meet the standards of the certification to get it.
Ask the instructor what is in the course you are obtaining, then decide.

Sure you can train with whomever you can no matter what agency they are with. Some instructors certify with multiple agencies for various reasons. I'm certified with PADI, DAN, HSA, SeaSigns, PDIC, & now SDI/TDI.

It is not that Y does not offer them. It is my schedule with the local Y instructors. There are only five YMCA instructors for the entire state of michigan. I would love to knock out: Equipment Service, Computer Assisted Diver, Nitrox Diver this winter. But I would like to also head to warmer climates to take a cavern course or Reef Ecology.

Jeff

With all of the certifications agencies out there, is it possible to jump around to get the training that I want from a variety of agencies?:confused:

Jeff

It is entirely possible. I have my OW from SSI, my AOW and nitrox from NAUI and am about to get Rescue from PADI. The most important factor in any of the training is the instructor. That cannot be stressed enough.

Good conversation. Do the agencies recognize each other for prerequisites? e.g. will SSI permit me to do AOW with them based on my PADI OW...and will PADI recognize the AOW for future training?

Can't speak for SSI but I can for PADI, PDIC or SDI/TDI and we accept other agencies as equal.

Pretty much, if both agencies are members of the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council), the experience will be outright transferrable for fulfilling prerequisites.

I've had the rare customer/student that came from another agency that was not US-based or was regionally recognized. In this case I've had to call the involved agency to find out the necessary information.

Happy diving - every day gets better once you drop below the surface.

For the major agencies, it's not a problem to cross-train provided that you're not talking about professional level certifications or an advanced class that requires master diver certification.

NAUI Master Diver and PADI Master Diver aren't equal, for example, but everything below that level is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom