Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, when the others finally do imitate T-Mobile they still seem to mine the plans with gottcha charges. They are addicted to it.

Exactly. Case in point:

"With Sprint Open World, we've got you covered with FREE UNLIMITED calling and text when you're traveling in Canada, Mexico, and most other countries across Latin America. Plus you get 1GB of high-speed data FREE to use while you're there."

No limits on data with T-mobile. The other carriers copy T-mobiles changes kicking and screaming but the changes are never matching they are always limited, like you said with a 'gotcha' included. Just switch to the real deal and be done with it. The other carriers hate T-mobile, because their changes have cost them hundreds of millions of dollars in lost screw the customer revenue.

Just don't understand the tendency for people to make it so hard on themselves trying to always fit square pegs into round holes all the time. Lot easier to change your peg to a round one, especially when it's cheaper and comes with a ton of benefits.

Who changed the industry 3 years ago with the change to no more contracts? Who got rid of phone subsidies so you could take your phone with you to another carrier? Who stopped charging people for data? Gosh anybody remember when phone companies used to charge you per text? Who changed that for everybody? Who gave us free international roaming? Remember the horror stories of people getting $600 phone bills returning from abroad because they checked their emails? Just don't get why people aren't a bit more savvy about all this and can't see how simple their lives would be with a carrier change. There have been countless articles written about how T-mobile has changed the cell phone business for the benefit of every user, I guess people just have never paid any attention. Last but not least there was a reason the purchase of T-mobile by AT&T was blocked by regulators. That purchase was seen as it would have been a blow to all consumers because it was clear AT&T would have swallowed them and simply removed the main driver of innovation and consumer savings in the market place. It's worth taking a look at them if you're not aware of their benefits. People spend more time juicing over their phone whether it's a I phone but pay no attention to the carrier.

While I appreciate the pricing pressure T-Mobile has brought into the marketplace, they have brought it for business reasons rather then out of the goodness of their heart.

I buy cell service for the coverage I receive where I primarily use it, which is in the US.

T-Mobile, for me at least, is a distant third by that measure.

Last edited:
Who started (and still continues) bandwidth throttling? You probably think North Korea because it's so evil, alas not...it's good old TMobile. All that 'free' bandwidth comes at a price-no throughput.

Just don't understand the tendency for people to make it so hard on themselves trying to always fit square pegs into round holes all the time. Lot easier to change your peg to a round one, especially when it's cheaper and comes with a ton of benefits.

Who changed the industry 3 years ago with the change to no more contracts? Who got rid of phone subsidies so you could take your phone with you to another carrier? Who stopped charging people for data? Gosh anybody remember when phone companies used to charge you per text? Who changed that for everybody? Who gave us free international roaming? Remember the horror stories of people getting $600 phone bills returning from abroad because they checked their emails? Just don't get why people aren't a bit more savvy about all this and can't see how simple their lives would be with a carrier change. There have been countless articles written about how T-mobile has changed the cell phone business for the benefit of every user, I guess people just have never paid any attention. Last but not least there was a reason the purchase of T-mobile by AT&T was blocked by regulators. That purchase was seen as it would have been a blow to all consumers because it was clear AT&T would have swallowed them and simply removed the main driver of innovation and consumer savings in the market place. It's worth taking a look at them if you're not aware of their benefits. People spend more time juicing over their phone whether it's a I phone but pay no attention to the carrier.

T Mobile includes Mexico at no extra charge. I used my iPhone there last year and paid nothing extra. Even did Facetime. I had Verizon before and T Mobile is much better. Verizon is a rip off.

Just switch to Tmobile and be done with it.

But then how would I use my mobile phone at home in the US?

Nobody has particularly great service in my area, but GSM is essentially useless. There is no GSM signal where I live, where I work, or anywhere I spend much time. Only in the largest cities would a GSM plan make the tiniest bit of sense, and I'd expect not to be able to use my mobile phone if I were to leave that city by much at all.

It's cheaper and easier for me to pop a Telcel SIM in my Sprint phone when I'm in Mexico than to buy a T-Mobile phone and plan just to use there. If I spent less time there or didn't have many islanders calling or texting me, I'd probably just use Open World and not even bother with a SIM.

Reactions: Jax
They have Canada Roaming Bonus as well, same terms as the Mexico plan.

You have to talk to a retention rep to get it added.

No need to talk to anyone. I added it minutes before the door closed on our flight to CUN last December via the AT&T mobile app. Worked great, unlimited calling and texts locally in Mex and back to to the states and 1GB of data for no charge.

Who started (and still continues) bandwidth throttling? You probably think North Korea because it's so evil, alas not...it's good old TMobile. All that 'free' bandwidth comes at a price-no throughput.

That would be a concern if you didn't have the foresight to realize you should chose a plan that serves your needs. Good thing is you can switch plans anytime you would like if you discover you made a mistake (another thing T-mobile brought to the market- remember those dark days when switching plans meant signing up for another annual contract!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom