Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reason that you're getting the T-Mobile signal on Telcel has less to do with tower LOS than agreements between Carlos and John!

Does anyone have any more up-to-date ingo?

About what?

Specific questions would help.
I understand some cell phone providers will turn on foreign countries for a month, for example.

Can I go to Verizon and get service for Mexico? To call and receive calls from the States?

Would it make more sense to get a Mexico pre-fill sim chip to call?

What is the latest developments?

I think getting Verizon coverage in Mexico for my iPhone would have been much more expensive than popping in a local SIM I got in the Telcel store on the first floor of the Mega. But now that I think about it, I mainly wanted data and "called" family and friends in the US with FaceTime or Skype using data, not international long distance. So, YMMV.

I understand some cell phone providers will turn on foreign countries for a month, for example.

They likely will not. However, they will let you sign up for a plan that includes other countries then cancel it after a month.

This has been the case for ages - over a decade.

There might not be any reason to try to do this for just a month, though. As noted earlier in this thread, a lot of these plans are free add-ons (or just built-in) these days so there's nothing to be saved by not having it.

Can I go to Verizon and get service for Mexico? To call and receive calls from the States?

Sure. You can probably do that from your phone or your computer, though, and save a trip to the store (where I live that would be 28 miles to the nearest one, so avoiding store visits is nice).

This is not new, either. I used to do that when I had Verizon ten years ago.

I'm going out on a limb here, but you've referred to "turning on foreign countries" and getting "service for Mexico". That's probably not what you're really asking though. You probably want to know if you can do that without massive charges.

It might. It might not.

That would depend on your personal situation, your telecom needs, your carrier (Verizon, I'm guessing?) and so on.

Perhaps let us know what you want and need and someone can suggest what might work out best for you.

Latest developments in terms of what?

This is sort of like asking what the latest developments in transportation are - too broad a question.

Jax. Is this what you are looking for?

Verizon's TravelPass

Mexico is 2 dollars a day but don't know how good the coverage is for Cozumel.

Local word of mouth says that getting a sim is the new way to go down in San Carlos, although my LDS guy just uses a Mexico plan.

Yeah, avoiding those massive charges things would be great.

If I understand the Verizon plan, you draw on your US voice and data buckets for $2 a day each day it is used. I believe the other 3 US major operators have plans offering voice and messaging included at no cost in Mexico. Data bucket arrangements vary for each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom