Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ESIM model changes that completely. The physical SIM may always be locked. ESIM by design allows the consumer to select a new telco without traditional interaction. For example, you see an ad in the newspaper, you simply scan the quick-code or barcode and you're done./QUOTE]

That would be so sweet. I'm practically salivating.

Telcel having the resources to support eSIM isn't what I would be concerned about, more the willingness.

I get that carriers wouldn't like this. My point is that Telcel is going to support them if the handsets customers have come that way.

Verizon has a $2 a day roaming plan. You get charged only when you use the phone data / voice service.

Pretty cheap, and no hassle.

Verizon has a $2 a day roaming plan. You get charged only when you use the phone data / voice service.

Pretty cheap, and no hassle.

Jax, have you used that down there? I'm new to Verizon and got on the $2 plan. Hope to have service. Before we were AT&T.

Reactions: Jax
I've used the Verizon with the new $2 a day plan and it worked great. I'd get a notice everyday about status and notifications to continue or not. If you have one of the higher allowance plans MX/Canada is included w/o addition charges.

Prior to upgrading to this plan my Verizon charges (& functionality) were hit or miss

Reactions: Jax
I've used the Verizon with the new $2 a day plan and it worked great. I'd get a notice everyday about status and notifications to continue or not. If you have one of the higher allowance plans MX/Canada is included w/o addition charges.

Prior to upgrading to this plan my Verizon charges (& functionality) were hit or miss

Thanks

Jax, have you used that down there? I'm new to Verizon and got on the $2 plan. Hope to have service. Before we were AT&T.
No problem whatsoever. You get a [free] Verizon text when your phone gloms onto a cell tower. Then, if you use your phone for anything data or phone, you get charged the $2. A few days, I turned the cell off, but used the wireless. No problem.

I think I used my phone 3 days on the last 7-day trip. Got charged $6. Well worth it.

By the way, the same plan works in other locations, Like the Cayman Islands. It's $10 a day there, though. I will keep my cell off, probably.

I switched to TMobile about about 18 months back when they announced a single USA/MEX/CAN service area because I frequent Mexico often. Since then it just works wherever I go in Mexico and I have unlimited data. On November 9th when TelCel went down (and everyone jokingly blamed Trump) most of the island lost phone service and data (no credit cards and PEMEX was closed) my phone rolled down to Moviestars tower and still worked out on the water below Columbia.
There is no daily fee or data limits, I just use it like home for voice and data and still tether a tablet or laptop off it. It is this service that has caused Verizon and ATT to begrudgingly open up service but I have heard they still have 'gotchas' in their plans.

The Sprint free call and text and free 1gb of data seems work. My only problem with Sprint is that I have no idea what tower is hits. It used to hit movie star but now it comes up on a weird number. Like where it would say movie star it says like 33353 or something and the coverage is a little weak in places. It showed telcel in the roam list and I tried to force it but it wouldn't connect. Weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom