Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aren't the cell carriers making things easier in Mexico? With AT&T, as I understand it, if you have a mobile share plan or unlimited plan, you automatically have a Mexico roaming bonus which includes unlimited talk and text to the U.S. and within Mexico, as well as 1G of data, all at no extra cost. I have the iPhone 6 and don't believe I have to do anything special.

Am I missing something?

With AT&T you have to sign up for the Mexico Roaming Bonus plan, and it has to be done on a per line basis.

Other than that, you are correct.

"Rumor" has it that Apple may already have a few eSIM partners. What this means is that you will be able to buy a data package and not worry where you are. Your data will be priced at prenegotiated reasonable rates and work internationally without worrying about big surprises. The big two are scared sh1tless about this. It represents a serious challenge to the existing paradigm.

Apple better do something, the company is heading to the you know what.
"Rumor" has it that Apple may already have a few eSIM partners. What this means is that you will be able to buy a data package and not worry where you are. Your data will be priced at prenegotiated reasonable rates and work internationally without worrying about big surprises. The big two are scared sh1tless about this. It represents a serious challenge to the existing paradigm.

That would be good for them, Tim Cook needs to do something revolutionary instead of evolutionary, the company is heading to the you know what

Apple as a MVNO would be fierce, it sure sounds like that is where they are wanting to head.

It's a logical extension of selling phones directly in addition to through the cell carriers.

No MVNO. Voice is passé. It's all about data.

Voice is data.

Not sure why an aggregator of networks operating as a MVNO would care what traffic it is passing.

I reckon a carrier-independent iPhone, with an eSIM and Apple-endorsed financing is more of a prob than an MVNO.

I used Google FI for several months-that was interesting.

Now that I think about it, the eSim appears to support more than 1 account at a time.

If Telcel would start supporting them, those of you that get to spend more time on the island than I do could have your US provider and your MX provider active on the same eSim. No need for a physical sim. Just switch back and forth with software.

That would be sweet as long as carriers don't have the ability to lock the SIM on handsets they subsidized.

Telcel is a big company with lots of resources. If major popular handsets come with eSIM's they'll likely support them.

ESIM model changes that completely. The physical SIM may always be locked. ESIM by design allows the consumer to select a new telco without traditional interaction. For example, you see an ad in the newspaper, you simply scan the quick-code or barcode and you're done. No interaction with annoying salesperson in store trying to upsell you. But...there will be a LONG period of co-existence before ESIMs become dominant.

Reactions: Jax
That would be sweet as long as carriers don't have the ability to lock the SIM on handsets they subsidized.

Telcel is a big company with lots of resources. If major popular handsets come with eSIM's they'll likely support them.

Just buy it unlocked directly from Apple. I am assuming you can do the same from Samsung for an Android phone.

Telcel having the resources to support eSIM isn't what I would be concerned about, more the willingness.

@tridacna is correct, kicking and screaming it will be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom