Cell phone tip for real Cozaholics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I recently upgraded to iPhone 6 in Texas and had a perfectly good iPhone 5 sitting in my drawer there. Brought it down here and got it unblocked for $35 and it still has all my photos, music, apps, contacts etc. Now hooked up with a Telcel plan amigo and local number in which I pay very little for airtime, and even calls to the US don't burn up many pesos. When you run low on pesos you can recharge your account easily at ant xoxo, even Mega with your credit card.

The guy who set mine up has an office on calle 1 between ave 25 and ave 20, called Macro Cell. And does all kinds of cell phone repairs/work. Nice guy with little English but does grunt and groan well.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Of course I have the Verizon Mexico plan for my iPhone 6 but for locals to call me that is much more expensive than a local number.

Last edited:
I recently upgraded to iPhone 6 in Texas and had a perfectly good iPhone 5 sitting in my drawer there. Brought it down here and got it unblocked for $35 and it still has all my photos, music, apps, contacts etc. Now hooked up with a Telcel plan amigo and local number in which I pay very little for airtime, and even calls to the US don't burn up many pesos. When you run low on pesos you can recharge your account easily at ant xoxo, even Mega with your credit card.

The guy who set mine up has an office on calle 1 between ave 25 and ave 20, called Macro Cell. And does all kinds of cell phone repairs/work. Nice guy with little English but does grunt and groan well.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS Of course I have the Verizon Mexico plan for my iPhone 6 but for locals to call me that is much more expensive than a local number.

Nothing for nothing, but...

If you are all up current with your cell provider, call and have them unlock your phone BEFORE you remove it from the account. I think most of them bigs will do it for free or at minimum unlock the sim card slot for international use. You of course NEED a sim card slot. I *think* all the iphones from the 4s up have them? Before that only certain providers. That is about all Sprint will do, but it is all you need. With iphones too, you can back up from your current iphone WITH A PASSWORD to your computer and then blow that into any new iphones. If don't choose a password you will lose all your wifi passwords all over Cozumel that you might have collected as well as mail passwords. Don't ask how I know.

I know with Sprint, if you already removed the phone from the account, you either have to put if back on for a few days for the unlock to process or get someone to unlock it. As Dave says it is easy in Coz to get that done.

Then stick a telcel amigo sim card in it. In my case I cut down my old Telcel sim from my old pay as you go phone. I also think you can go to telcel and they will give you a smaller iphone sim for a free replacement. Done.

And for ease of use, set up an account on Telcel's website with a credit card. Then it takes 2 seconds to recharge the phone whenever. You can also have more than one phone on the one login. Telcel does some thing after so long with no activity where it suspends the account until you put money on it. So I turn data roaming OFF on the telcel in the states and let it connect, currently to Tmobile for voice. and then I also get the free text message when a recharge hits.

Stick the Whatsapp on it and text, voice text or send pics international for cheap. I use groups on whatapp and include both my US and MX phone which make communicating easy.

If you are all up current with your cell provider, call and have them unlock your phone BEFORE you remove it from the account.

Very important with Sprint which can't unlock phones that aren't on their network. If you have a Sprint phone that isn't activated or if you're out of the country, they cannot unlock it.

I think most of them bigs will do it for free or at minimum unlock the sim card slot for international use.

My understanding is that as of this year all US carriers are required to unlock phones under certain conditions. Up to now, Sprint would only unlock the SIM slot for international use. This meant, for example, that I couldn't even test a Telcel SIM in a Sprint phone in the US. Sprint also won't ever unlock a phone activated before the new regs took effect, so I won't ever be able to use my old iPhones with a Telcel SIM in the US.

You of course NEED a sim card slot. I *think* all the iphones from the 4s up have them?

Correct. Verizon had iPhone 4 without a SIM slot, but Sprint started with 4S, all of which (on any carrier) have a SIM slot.

With iphones too, you can back up from your current iphone WITH A PASSWORD to your computer and then blow that into any new iphones. If don't choose a password you will lose all your wifi passwords all over Cozumel that you might have collected as well as mail passwords. Don't ask how I know.

I've created a default Cozumel iPhone backup file. We have 2 old phones left over from upgrading in the past and loan them all loaded up with a Telcel SIM to guests or visiting family. The default backup has all my collected wifi passwords, some useful apps (including a shared shopping list app), Cozumel contacts including emergency numbers, map POI's, local settings for weather and clock, a picture of the house, and even some music (Junior Klan's "Cozumel"). When they're done with it, I brain-wipe the phone, and restore from the backup.

I also keep a Note with all the SSID's and passwords I've collected. This comes in handy when I'm traveling with someone and there isn't a waiter handy or it isn't on the bottom of the napkin holder. (I've started turning over napkin holders in the US to look for a password. Never works.)

I also think you can go to telcel and they will give you a smaller iphone sim for a free replacement.

I think they charged me something like 50 pesos for a new 4G nano-SIM to replace my old cut-down one.

And for ease of use, set up an account on Telcel's website with a credit card. Then it takes 2 seconds to recharge the phone whenever.

And wherever! You can use the browser on your phone or the handy Mi Telcel app. I've used it to recharge or to set up a data plan when I'm out and about - it's extremely useful. There's also a Recarga Amigo app that can be used to add credit to any Telcel number without the need to register it first online. It lacks the many useful features of the mitelcel.com site or the Mi Telcel app, though.

The mitelcel.com website has many features, not least of which is the ability to set up automatic recharges. Set it and forget it, and never have to worry about losing that number that all your friends know. You can also select specific other Telcel numbers that you can call or text for free; this is a total of 3 things, so for example all calls or texts (2 things) to my wife's Telcel number are free and texts (1 thing) to my son's number are free. The other numbers have to be on Telcel, but they don't have to be ones you control.

You can also have more than one phone on the one login. Telcel does some thing after so long with no activity where it suspends the account until you put money on it. So I turn data roaming OFF on the telcel in the states and let it connect, currently to Tmobile for voice. and then I also get the free text message when a recharge hits.

All of our numbers are linked to my wife's and my accounts, so either of us can manage credit, data plans, and other stuff either from the computer or from our phones. Each number has its own account, as well.

As long as the number hasn't fully died, each recharge not only keeps the number alive but also resurrects any credit that's lapsed. For example, 50-peso top-ups expire after 2 weeks, but I have automatic 50-peso recharges on all our phones every month. Even though the credit expires between recharges, it never really goes away.

Stick the Whatsapp on it and text, voice text or send pics international for cheap. I use groups on whatapp and include both my US and MX phone which make communicating easy.

Just about every one of my Cozumel peeps use Whatsapp, but an increasing number are also using Facebook Messenger and a few prefer it. It's also free.

Get a dual-sim phone; You can have both Mx and US numbers on one phone. Freely available on the net.

For those of use that live in areas of the US with no GSM signal (such as where I live and work and everywhere in between), that doesn't really work.

Ewww, looks like all ...android....

There are some nice Android phones out there, but I've become very invested in Apple ecosystem things like iMessage that I can do or manage from my computer, which is why we have loaner iPhones for people.

You can get dual-SIM widgets for iPhones that provide a thin cable that goes into the SIM slot and an external tray for the SIMs. That obviously requires some sort of case that can accommodate that. It seems like an inelegant solution to me.

Geez,

This got more complicated than I ever thought. It can be simple.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Up to now, Sprint would only unlock the SIM slot for international use. This meant, for example, that I couldn't even test a Telcel SIM in a Sprint phone in the US. Sprint also won't ever unlock a phone activated before the new regs took effect, so I won't ever be able to use my old iPhones with a Telcel SIM in the US.

Did you test the telcel card in the phone in the us? I thought it was just a restriction on using another US provider in the US?

For my old Sprint, I jumped through hoops putting it back on the account and all that only to find out that I had the mistakenly COMPLETELY unlocked iPhone that Sprint accidentally shipped when they first got the iPhone.

The other 2 iPhones I have on telcel came off of Ebay, so I don't really know what service they started on, but they work fine on Telcel in the US.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2015 at 10:39 PM ----------

Geez,

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I was trying to make it even simpler. Doc might have made it EVEN MORE simple with the Telcel app. I have not loaded that, but I will be now!

Google has solved some of these problems already. International calling on cell phones is one of the last bastions of oligopolistic practices by fat and greedy corporations. Governments are unlikely to intervene because they love the associated taxes and perks derived from the bribes er... I mean lobbyists.

I do not believe Tel Cel minutes roll over so if you haven't been on the island a for a month or so your prepaid minutes will vanish on arrival back into CZM, at least that is what I found with A TelCel $300P throw away phone. As to that yucky Android System (78% of the market) has anyone out there used Google's new FI service in Cozumel?

I figured with the thread title some detail might be useful for future readers. You like to simplify. I not so much.

---------- Post added July 6th, 2015 at 09:49 AM ----------

I do not believe Tel Cel minutes roll over so if you haven't been on the island a for a month or so your prepaid minutes will vanish on arrival back into CZM

Airtime credit lasts different amounts of time depending upon how much you bought the most recent time. As long as your number doesn't expire, airtime credit doesn't fully go away and will come back each time you add any amount of credit. Telcel is tight-lipped about how long a number has to sit dormant before it fully expires, but it appears to be somewhere between 6 months and a year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom