Cebu - one more destination?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HI All,

I've been going back and forth on my planned itinerary for nov/dec. I think i've now decided to opt out of heading up to manila for Coron and Anilao and go there for another trip. This is mainly to save spending too much time travelling airports/waiting/delays etc and to keep costs down.

Current plan is: Malapascua > Sogod Bay > Dauin/dumaguete.

I wouldn't mind adding in one more cebu destination after Dauin. I will fly home out of Cebu. Any recommendations?

Total time for all 4 would be about 4-5 weeks.

Thanks!

That's a really good spell for these awesome destinations. Our best trips have been when we have had a week per stop. You could easy add Maolboal and go to Oslob for the big spotty fishes we all love (!but don't tell anybody I recommended this ok ? ) or Sipalay in Negros. For this length of time I would recommend Sipalay.

Reactions: MA
Sipalay is very good but getting there and away is something else.
Moalboal is slightly inferior in terms of diving but getting there is easy.
Alona Beach in Bohol is another option. Direct ferry from Cebu and then onward to Dumaguete. The place is well over developed to my taste. Check the gas before the dive or demand to see the compressor.

Linking Malapascua and Sogod Bay would be most tedious. Contact operators in both places for suggestion.
Your arrival time at Cebu is important to determine which direction you are heading first ie. Malapasuca/Sogod Bay or Alona Beach/Dauin etc.

Last edited:
Thanks! sounds like sipalay or moalboal would be the best options. Although it might be easier for me to get to Anilao than Sipalay by the looks of it :)

Centrals - yes the malapascua to sogod bay trip will suck. I plan to dive the morning, transfer to cebu and overnight there. then the early morning ferry to Leyte. or leave first thing and possibly make the new evening ferry for leyte. need to make a decision actually.

This is what I would do(the tricky part first):
1. If I can arrive at Maya Pier from Cebu City well before noon, Malapascua will be my first destination. The bus journey could easily take 3-4hrs. Return to Cebu City for the afternoon ferry to Maasin and then Sogod Bay.
2. If I can't then I will take the afternoon ferry to Maasin for Sogod Bay. Few hrs at SM Mall won't be too bad but I will get the ferry ticket first. On return I will take the slow overnight ferry from Maasin to Cebu City and then bus and ferry to Malapascua.

If Sipalay is your final diving destination then make sure you leave very early for Cebu City and overnight there. You have well over 24hrs to off gas!
You can easily rack up 100 dives in your adventure. Have a blast.

Thanks centrals! Malapascua is first. I should get up there in time.

I think you are right about afternoon ferry to Massin. I was going to sneak in dives on malapascua that morning but it makes sense to just get going and avoid a night in Cebu.

Do I buy ferry tickets at the pier when you get there?

I was at my local dive club social night last night. A friend advised I simply MUST dive coron. Wreck diving is quite big here at home.

So after narrowing it down to sipalay or moalboal I am now instead booked to head up to coron. Which was my plan when I first stared organising this trip! I've come full circle.

Thanks very much to everyone's help on here to organise the trip. I've trawled through old threads and posted a few questions of my own. Pretty much the whole trip is a result of all the input here. Thankyou!!! Your time has been appreciated

1. Yes, you buy the ticket at the pier.
2. If you like wreck then Coron is hard to beat. And if you intend to fly into Coron then make sure you read the luggage allowance FIRST.

Thanks.

Yes the baggage is going to be very tight. I'm thinking regs will be "deconstructed" with first stages tucked away in my handbag along with anything else heavy and small!

There will be some ditching of suncreens, excess toiletries etc and anything else I can find before I board.

Do you think my tank rigging will look nice as a belt?

1. No first stage on hand carry.
2. You should be able to pick up most toiletries in Coron but probably not your preferred brands.
3. I have never heard/seen anyone using the cam band as belt!!!
4. There is ferry between Manila and Coron but only once a week. Check the schedule.

Back
Top Bottom