Splitting days between Dauin and Moalboal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's little less south than Seaview. You'll have to walk less if you want to go "party" downtown :D it's only a 10 minutes walk on a walking path.

In terms of dive center and given how Kalle manages his operation, I would state it should probably be the best dive center in Moalboal now that dive factories have invaded the place.
After 6 stays, I still don't know what should be in Moalboal the best accomodation option with regards to comfort and location, it has always been a trade off.

No party, just want to "dive, eat, sleep - repeat";-)

If you still haven't found the right mix there's probably a reason I'm struggeling with this, but a good bed and quiet ac wins. Thank you.

@Luko

Unlike you, I was basing this mostly on the hive mind of other like minded (serious) u/w photographers. One proxy would be too look at the destinations of where the most macro-focused workshop trips are chosen to be held (although travel logistics plays a role here). Or you could just ask Bard or ChatGPT.

Specifically:
Tawali - unfortunately, not anymore with the logging run off having damaged a number of the better sites. Milne Bay is now better, and it's not as good as others on the list (I dove Tawali ~20 years ago when it was very unique - it's a shell of this now).

Lembeh & Anilao - of course

Ambon - during the right season(s)

North coast of Bali - can be very good at times, but not as consistent as the Dauin coast

Alor & Bangka - no.

Romblon - not as consistently good as Dauin

Slugs don't define a macro destination, but many do equate the two. Dauin is quite limited in variety of nudis, although it is one of the few destinations where you can find the ghost nudi occasionally if you (and your guide) look hard enough.

So actually not "random" - but whatever makes you feel better.

No party, just want to "dive, eat, sleep - repeat";-)
I know, I was kidding... you'd mostly find ladyboys playing pool anyway.
I was just talking about having more lunch/dinner options.

Unlike you, I was basing this mostly on the hive mind of other like minded (serious) u/w photographers. One proxy would be too look at the destinations of where the most macro-focused workshop trips are chosen to be held (although travel logistics plays a roll here). Or you could just ask Bard or ChatGPT.

Specifically:
Tawali - unfortunately, not anymore with the logging run off having damaged a number of the better sites. Milne Bay is now better, and it's not as good as others on the list (I dove Tawali ~20 years ago when it was very unique - it's a shell of this now).

Lembeh & Anilao - of course

Ambon - during the right season(s)

North coast of Bali - can be very good at times, but not as consistent as the Dauin coast

Alor & Bangka - no.

Romblon - not as consistently good as Dauin

Slugs don't define a macro destination, but many do equate the two. Dauin is quite limited in variety of nudis, although it is one of the few destinations where you can find the ghost nudi occasionally if you (and your good) look hard enough.

So actually not "random" - but whatever makes you feel better.

FYI I won two international UW photo competitions in the past 6 months : yes, think some of the most prestigious ones. My kind of shots? Macro and supermacro.

And unlike you, I don't need ChatGPT to recognize outstanding macro locations and sorry to say, Dauin doesn't belong there, read above and you'll see what you can get in more than one stay in Atmosphere or Atlantis.

Fisrt logics flaw, macro workshops aren't a proxy for the best macro location, it's more of a proxy for comfortable hotels that can host rich middle-aged/old people who think buying the biggest camera they can afford would make them photographers.
You will hardly see photo workshops happening in Alor, Ambon or Bangka because they don't have the infrastructure for. Tulamben is neither the place for American photos workshops, because it's low key, don't have resort like 4* hotels and also because some of the guides are private workshops on their own. On the other hand it's home of one of the biggest macrophoto congregation organized each year by Ken Thongpila and lots of small wworkshops organized by regional photographers.

As for the rest :
Went last diving Lauadi 5 years ago and guess what : loads of slugs incl Cyerce of all sorts, lacey rhinopias, etc. Not bad for ruined sites.

Tulamben not consistent? everybody's laughing out loud here and shows you have no clue on what you're saying. This is probably why it's the location where the highest number of awarded macro images have been shot in the past years, not Anilao, not Lembeh, certainly not Dauin, no I am talking about Tulamben-Bali. Just check the results. Last years were rhinopias fiesta even more than in Alor, Ambon and Anilao united, with the good guide you will more nudi species on one dive than any diveday in Anilao.

At certain periods Alor gets you tons of Marionias, several rhinopias in one dive plus the regulars like harlequin or coleman shrimps,

I guess you've never been diving Bangka seriously as well, pygmy seahorses of all sorts and pipefish paradise .

So what makes Dauin so special : finding more than 10 froggies or GPF in one dive? Counting sheep nudis by dozens? c'mon, honestly... I don't think Dauin is that consistent as well, I've had trip in april where you could find lumps of GPF, froggies anywhere you could shake a stick, Flamboyant cuttlefish everyday , on the other hand i've had a trip in May where it was hard to find something else than Costasiella slugs and a couple of seahorses.

In case you didn't know, Mabul is also home to ghost Melibe, that doesn't make it a fantastic macro site.
That fact that you can find one specific specie sought for doesn't make it a fantastic macro location , otherwise I would state Alona is fabulous because I can find bunches of a specific red Okenia you hardly find elsewhere.

No, don't thank me for making you discover where are some of the finest macro sites.

@Luko

"FYI I won two international UW photo competitions in the past 6 months"
This is oustanding, did I miss your entry into UPY? I don't recall you being among the winners but I may have missed it. Also, I didn't see you on the invite list for ImageMakers. You're probably too important to hang out with Marty, the Halls, etc.

"I don't need ChatGPT to recognize..."

I know you struggle with nuanced language. That was meant to be facetious. I'll try to avoid this in the future (it was also a more subtle comment of getting this out of personal opinion to something more objective based...)

"macro workshops aren't a proxy for the best macro location..."
Umm... I've attended (and participated in) a couple of u/w photo workshops at Scuba Seraya. The north coast of Bali is nice, but if you think that's a top macro destination you should get out more. That's why UW Tribe chooses to teach in this area... easy access.

Bangka is good for macro, but not unique, the occasional dugong is awesome though.

Mabul is very good, however it was better before all the heavy diver traffic.

You keep trying...

Use the quotes functonnality! That will make your posts more readable for everyone albeit still cumbersome.
There is no age for learning how to use a computer.

This is oustanding, did I miss your entry into UPY? I don't recall you being among the winners but I may have missed it.
Is UPY the only international contest you are aware of?
Says a lot about how closed up is your mind, it's a great contest but there are 4 or 5 others.
And no, sorry to disappoint this year, only been highly commended at the UPY a few years before (Another photo taken in Tulamben btw).

That was meant to be facetious.
With some practice maybe you'll succeed (and probably use quotes :wink: )
Hint #1 : don't say it when you try being humoristic, it ruins the effect.
Hint #2 : try to find out when your interlocutor replies tongue in cheek as well. I know it might be difficult for infatuated persons to discuss with Brits, French or Italians, because they are masters at being ironic.

You're welcome. No need to thank me.

Umm... I've attended (and participated in) a couple of u/w photo workshops at Scuba Seraya. The north coast of Bali is nice, but if you think that's a top macro destination you should get out more. That's why UW Tribe chooses to teach in this area... easy access.
The Seraya Secret spot is not much of a highlight since quite some times, I can understand your reflexion if you only dived that area.
On my side I only dive with specific and local Tulamben dive guides whom obviously you have not been diving with. Quite happy with the history of photo contest prizes they've helped me to get.

Less froggies and GPF than in Dauin which you seem to find so impressive (and which I don't even bother shoot anymore except when in Tulamben they find specific species like reticulated bandfin sort) , much more nudis and shrimps/crab, most of all better photo dive guides.

I have given my thoughts based on real underwater life not on social events you seem to cherish. On every location where I am going to I am asking for the most experienced private guide, since i like to be on my own and don't rely on groups nor workshops where everybody is splashing around.

You should probably ask yourself whether you didn't miss things (and after 4 trips in Dauin, I still don't see where it can remotely be even as good as Tulamben where I should be above 400 dives)

You should try to take photos with the good guides rather than sit in a workshop and do fat.
You have not given ONE meaningful reason based on the DIVING EXPERIENCE, just on hear say. Hence you just keep on writing quite useless posts.

Bangka is good for macro, but not unique,
And is Dauin unique? Certainly not. Nowhere is unique.
Hence I prefer Bangka for the vaster array of macro life you can find there.

Mabul is very good
Hahaha... you're funny.
I guess that was another attempt at being facetious.
C'mon don't be a wuss, try to inform and list all the unique (that's your criteria apparently) critters you have seen in Mabul, enlighted with your award winning photos: that's what the people want to read, not your infatuated stories and tiresome rants.

@Luko
"Use the quotes functonnality! That will make your posts more readable for everyone albeit still cumbersome. There is no age for learning how to use a computer."

Someone here mentioned to me privately that this irritates you, hence why I continue to do this. If you notice for other posts (on other threads) I have used the quote mechanism. At this point, these are really meant for you.

"highly commended at the UPY"

You must be very proud. Like a number of others that previously sold images for $, I shoot not for awards or adulation any more, but rather because both my kids have now learned underwater photography. My daughter has several images hanging in a gallery in SF, waiting for her first sale. We shoot as a family...

"With some practice maybe you'll succeed..."

The facetious bit was noted by others, so if you struggled to recognize it I apologize.

"The Seraya Secret spot is not much of a highlight since quite some times..."

Again, you seem to be struggling with your understanding. I was not referring to the dive site, but rather the resort. During the workshop we dove as far as Alam Batu and almost as far south as Balilah. The resort hosted the workshop (although several other hotels were used as well) - I heard they may looking to host another one next year.

I've been diving the north coast of Bali for ~20 years. I'm glad you think it's a super rich macro destination. That says more about what you haven't experienced vs. what you have. This area benefits from being fairly easy to get to, well connected for international flights, etc. It's a great add on for travel elsewhere in Indonesia, or as a long weekend for those that live in SE Asia.

" I still don't see where it can remotely be even as good as Tulamben where I should be above 400 dives).."

And yet a group of fairly well known u/w photographers choose to return every year or two to the Dauin coast to dive and shoot together (Marty, the Halls, etc.). What do they know that you don't?

"take photos with the good guides..."

Some of the very best guides in Indonesia were assembled by Larry Smith in those first couple of years of KBR's operations in Lembeh. Within the dive industry in Indonesia it's believed that many of the best (current) guides come from north Sulawesi. This is one reason why you find many of them from this region working on LOBs throughout Indonesia.

BTW - you are much less arrogant on WetPixel, why?

Transfer between Dumaguete to Moalboal is walk in the park even with public transport and never takes more than 5hrs. There are several ports serving between the two islands and bus is plentiful.
Spend couple of days staying on Apo Island if you do not mind the basic accommodation.
Sipalay is about 5hrs from Dumaguete by car. Well worth a visit and the place is dead quiet.
Three days in Moalboal should be enough. And do not forget to ask for the sanctuary.
Sipalay is well worth the visit. The diving there is very nice and not so many people go there. I would certainly rather go there rather than Moalboal.

Sipalay is well worth the visit. The diving there is very nice and not so many people go there. I would certainly rather go there rather than Moalboal.
The place is a bit isolated and require extra effort and time to get there.
I believe most divers are just happy with Dumaguete + Apo island and the sardines in Moalboal.

If you notice for other posts (on other threads) I have used the quote mechanism. At this point, these are really meant for you.
And I guess too for replying to Interceptor21 (A WetPixel member btw, maybe you wanted to "irritate" him), Centrals, etc. Looks to me more like sloppy computering in truth.
Or how about mythomania?

At this point, these are really meant for you
Sorry. I meant petty mythomania...

The facetious bit was noted by others,
Lots of people in your head as well?
No one gives a rat's a** to this discussion, fortunately. I'm even wondering why I'm replying.

And yet a group of fairly well known u/w photographers choose to return every year or two to the Dauin coast to dive and shoot together (Marty, the Halls, etc.). What do they know that you don't?
You, we're talking about you, Ignatius. (You definitely ought to read "A Confederacy of Dunces", you would be so proud to be in a book, Pulitzer prize, I joke not!)
Looks like you're diving by procuration, Marty, Halls or whatsoever are not macro critters, are they?
What is the list of such famous stuff that enlightened your 2 weeks trip to Dauin... c'mon let me dream...

What they know that I know is that Dauin is ideal place for doing workshops for a lot of middle aged/old people looking for easy diving, better hotels with Aircon at full throttle, no 3h long car rides to get to Tulamben for instance, shore entries that can even be done by elder people, no rocks like in Tulamben. Plus Philippines is easier to get to from the US than other places SEA, all people speak english not really the case in Indonesia.

Mustard and british Photogs are doing a lot of workshops in Egypt do you think it's because it's the best place to dive on Earth, better than Raja Ampat or the Galapagos?
Reductio ad absurdum : there are very few photo workshops in Malpelo, PNG or Solomons is that because the diving is meh?

we dove as far as Alam Batu and almost as far south as Balilah.
Ho sh*t !... You missed at least 3 of the hottest sites eastwards, I'm sorry for you. Complain to the organizers! (Or dive with a good local guide)

Some of the very best guides in Indonesia were assembled by Larry Smith in those first couple of years of KBR's operations in Lembeh. Within the dive industry in Indonesia it's believed that many of the best (current) guides come from north Sulawesi.
Obviously you are missing something about what is a dive guide/spotter.
Manado guides are useless in Bali (I know from experience as I've used some in Amed) as much as a balinese dive guide would be useless in Anilao or Lembeh, I would even say it's no point using a Tulamben dive guide to dive Amed sites.
The concept of local dive guides is that they know intimately their reefs, what's up and what's down. This is also why I wouldn't take a bule guide.

I'll leave you with your beliefs and will still dive with the Balinese guide I am using since he started freelancing ( when he's not leading photo workshops as well as being a brand ambassador to an UW manufacturer brand )

C'mon don't be a wuss, try to inform and list all the unique (that's your criteria apparently) critters you have seen in Mabul, enlighted with your award winning photos: that's what the people want to read, not your infatuated stories and tiresome rants.
Still waiting for your reply... lots of words but very little doing...
C'mon give us your best shot : impress us!
BTW - you are much less arrogant on WetPixel, why?
Not very active there , lots of hair splitting about technicalities which is the kind of stuff that bores me to death (Since you're a stalker, you probably have noticed that I don't post often in the Photo sections of Scubaboard).
Not much travel discussions in WP, neither impressed with the bio/macro sections.

@Luko

"I know And I guess too for replying to Interceptor21..."

I know him (both from WP and diving). He at least backs up his discussions with data and experience

"Lots of people in your head as well?"

Couple of direct messages was all that was necessary. Feel free to stop replying at any time.

"no 3h long car rides to get to Tulamben..."

Closer to 2:20-2:30 if you leave mid-morning, but I get you want to exaggerate to make it sound like you are going through this hardship to get to Tulamben. In Bali (this is hilarious...)

"Mustard and..."

Let's see... PNG, Anilao, RA, Lembeh... all locations Alex is running workshops in the future.

Please stop before you hurt yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom