CE vs. DOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The issue comes down to "what is commerce?" Various regulatory agencies have argued that any time money changes hands, it amounts to commerce. When money changes hands, as a professional, you have a duty to use the standards within your industry, otherwise you may be held liable.

My involvement with OSHA had to do with high pressure cylinders of oxygen and nitrogen kept on my premises for maintenance of equipment as well as dealing with the state boiler inspector on all my non-DOT pressure vessels. Even my non-DOT pressure vessels had to be licensed and inspected by the state.

Every thing is fine as long as every thing is fine, but as the saying goes **** happens. When it does, who's going to pay?

I was involved with a diving job to retrieve some debris that had fallen in a chemical company's water treating clarifier. The only thing in the clarifier was Mississippi River water. The chemical company's safety procedures required all tanks be drained and isolated before anyone could enter.
This would have taken several days so the divers were hired to go in and pull out the debris. Then the chemical company's safety rep got involved and spent half a day trying to determine if the divers could enter the tank while it still had water in it. The safety rep wanted the divers to follow the some of the company's procedures that the diving supervisor said violated OSHA diving regulations. It deteriorated into a who's on first routine, funny.

ISO is not a federal or law agency. It is a voluntary thing. And ISO just verifies you are doing what you say you are doing.

fppf, yes i understand ISO is a voluntary practice. It's also the only way you are going to sell your product in some markets, namely Europe. The point I was trying to make is, and this is on a larger scale, is that the requirements to stamp CE on the cylinder may "meet and exceed customer expectations" and industry standards vs. the DOT regulation. It's been a point of contention within my industry for years and has spawned an industry itself. I'm sure it has someone to do with EU vs. U.S.
I'll keep the cylinders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom